Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2002 Fleetwood 34w Purchase

Yesterday I posted a thread about my wife and I considering the purchase of a 2011 Forest River Georgetown 330TS. It's a 34' with 3 slides, Ford V10, 22,000 lb. chassis, 22.5" wheels with about 14,000 miles. The price is $71,000 and we put a small deposit down to hold it.

I didn't get any sleep last night thinking about this purchase and after some long talks with my wife today, we decided we would go look at another dealer to see what we run across. To make a long story short, we found a MH we feel much more comfortable purchasing and are going to back out of the purchase of the 2011 Forest River.

We found a one owner, 2002 Fleetwood Pace-Arrow 34W for $35,000 that is in excellent shape (for a 2002). 19" wheels, Ford V10, 51,000 miles, Onan 5500 Generator with 500 hours. The generator appeared to be leaking a small amount of oil, and the drip is dead center on the bottom of the oil filter. The dealer said they would fix it before we take delivery. The body doesn't have any cracks in it and I couldn't find any evidence of water intrusion. Tires are less than a year old.

Our 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee would be towed behind.

I'm sure we are sacrificing some ride quality and stability, but we like the floor plan. It feels just as big, if not bigger than the Forest River. Our camping will be 95% local within 100 miles of home, 3 to 4 nights. Longest trips would probably be no further than 500 miles in the early fall or spring. 1 or 2 a year at most. Stored in a warehouse when not in use.

We feel like this will put us in a much better position to upgrade in a few years if we choose.

If you have any thoughts or advice, I would certainly appreciate it. I've never bought anything this used before and I'd like to get a quick lesson on what to look for before pulling the trigger. Any experience or advice with this model or others in the same range would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Rob
AirManFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New MH

I recently went thru the same decision. We had looked at over 100 Rvs at 7 dealers and some on line. We just got our daughters thru college, weddings, helped with the home purchase and wanted to do something for us. We looked at many new units that were $60,000 and up. We even put a deposit on one and after a weekend changed our mind.

We chose a 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor...1 owner..49,000 miles and in excellent shape for $26,500.00 Got a real nice deal and dealer inspected it and changed all fluids..spent some money and had a professional RV detailer do it like new..

Doing it this way allowed me to spend the cash I wanted and not be in debt...we are doing most of our runs long distance..3500 miles to Sturgis next Summer pulling our Harleys in a trailer and in June to St Lawrence Sea Way with another couple and the Harleys..

We will upgrade to something newer in 5 years....figure we can determine if this is for us..at 57 I am working another 9 years and home will be paid off soon..

When I drove it home I was proud to own one and at the same time not be in debt...

Enjoy it..

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirManFL View Post
Yesterday I posted a thread about my wife and I considering the purchase of a 2011 Forest River Georgetown 330TS. It's a 34' with 3 slides, Ford V10, 22,000 lb. chassis, 22.5" wheels with about 14,000 miles. The price is $71,000 and we put a small deposit down to hold it.

I didn't get any sleep last night thinking about this purchase and after some long talks with my wife today, we decided we would go look at another dealer to see what we run across. To make a long story short, we found a MH we feel much more comfortable purchasing and are going to back out of the purchase of the 2011 Forest River.

We found a one owner, 2002 Fleetwood Pace-Arrow 34W for $35,000 that is in excellent shape (for a 2002). 19" wheels, Ford V10, 51,000 miles, Onan 5500 Generator with 500 hours. The generator appeared to be leaking a small amount of oil, and the drip is dead center on the bottom of the oil filter. The dealer said they would fix it before we take delivery. The body doesn't have any cracks in it and I couldn't find any evidence of water intrusion. Tires are less than a year old.

Our 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee would be towed behind.

I'm sure we are sacrificing some ride quality and stability, but we like the floor plan. It feels just as big, if not bigger than the Forest River. Our camping will be 95% local within 100 miles of home, 3 to 4 nights. Longest trips would probably be no further than 500 miles in the early fall or spring. 1 or 2 a year at most. Stored in a warehouse when not in use.

We feel like this will put us in a much better position to upgrade in a few years if we choose.

If you have any thoughts or advice, I would certainly appreciate it. I've never bought anything this used before and I'd like to get a quick lesson on what to look for before pulling the trigger. Any experience or advice with this model or others in the same range would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Detailed and Beautiful.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	29679  
Blacknchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #3

Congratulations. Enjoy it. You made a good choice IMHO.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #4

Excellent choice. The Fleetwood Pace Arrow's are very good coaches. We previously owned a 2001 Forest River Reflection diesel pusher, and found the overall quality to be somewhat below that of a Fleetwood or Winnebago. Fleetwood put a lot of neat features on the P/A that will enhance your use. Have fun, and don't be afraid to drive it. After a couple years of use, you'll be far more tuned in to what you want in your next motorhome...
Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought our 2002 PA 37A a few months ago. Very pleased with the build quality and features. Was affordable and a good value.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you for your feedback so far. I'm reading some good things about this coach and I like what I see. Because we're starting to see the possibilities, it's inspired us to make one more trip down the street to take a look at another reputable dealer to see what they might have. We're definitely getting closer to decision time.

Again, thanks for the feedback and if there is anything a newbie might miss, I would appreciate any tips. I'm trying to read as much as possible.

Rob
Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
check the tow rating of the MH hitch, it will probably be 5K lbs...that 12 GC will be at the top of the towable range for a gasser IMO..
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdutt View Post
check the tow rating of the MH hitch, it will probably be 5K lbs...that 12 GC will be at the top of the towable range for a gasser IMO..
The '12 GC is a little under 4,500 curb weight. Is that too close?

Rob
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Jeep tips the scale at around 5000 lbs - tows fine with Ford V10 in PA 37A. On the occational long steep grade I maintain about 50mph.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I think you made a wise choice.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, purchase