Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2021, 06:45 PM   #1

2002 Fleetwood Revolution Shore Power Tripping

One more time.
As soon as i plug my rv into shore power i trip a breaker in the storage garage. I turned off all the breakers and plugged it in with no problems. turned on the first breaker which is for the inverter and no problems so i then turned on the two breakers for the 50 amp service and it tripped. How do i go about finding the issue??
bruhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2021, 06:51 PM   #2

The 120 volt circuit breaker ; OR a GFI outlet , what exactly is tripping .

Ever had issues in an RV park ?

The 50 amp breakers are in the power circuit BEFORE the inverter breaker .

Edit: " Storage garage " ??? are you using any adaptors to a 20 amp circuit.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:07 PM   #3

Its a GFI breaker that is tripping but I have had i plugged in last year and this did not happen and i have never had a problem at a park.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:38 PM   #4

GFI tripping issues require way different tracing than, 120v circuit breakers due to an over load .

Park power doesn't involve a GFI .

So a new issue, with a GFI protected circuit , that you've used before.

You had the 50 amp breakers off , then turned the inverter breaker on , then turned the 50 amp on .

Try it the other way around , all breakers off , turn on the 50 amp , then all the breakers in the RV , leaving the inverter breaker for last.

Some members with these GFI issues trace the problem to the very start of a problem with water heater 120 volt elements or those 120 volt heaters in the fridge ( if RV fridge ). If your RV style fridge is on an inverted circuit , unplug it . Even some fridge ice makers can cause GFI issues.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:44 PM   #5

I tried the 50 amp first and it did not trip the GFI
Turning on the inverter breaker does trip it…
Will my coach batteries stay charged without the inverter on?
Old 11-03-2021, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhuh View Post
I tried the 50 amp first and it did not trip the GFI
Turning on the inverter breaker does trip it…
Will my coach batteries stay charged without the inverter on?
No. Your inverter/charger charges your batteries. Let’s clarify something. Is it the GFI in the bathroom that is tripping?
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #7

If it didn't trip the GFCI last year, think back at what's been changed since then.

New fridge ?
Water heater run without water ?
Block heater cord damaged ?
Work on the electrical system ?
Built in vacuum cleaner system wet ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #8

While I agree that you need to check the GFCI circuits as earlier posted....one additional area I might suggest checking is your actual plug for shore power. I had an issue with tripping after the 'snowmaggeddon' we had in Texas earlier this year. We had to actually move into our RV during that time, as our home's power was down for 2-3 days and the RV was sitting in the drive with a full tank of fuel and propane, not to mention the generator! Things all worked fine during the time we needed it, but after things were over and we were back in the house... I went out to clean up/check things in the RV.
Could not get the main breaker in the shop to come on or reset...it would immediately trip....
I checked things for a week to no avail...I ended up thinking my transfer switch connections had fused. We had other issues, so we ended up getting it into Camping World (ok, I know, I know...)... As they checked other things out, they didn't find fused transfer switch connections, but actually found that the plug end for shore power had wiring connections that had somehow loosened up...just enough to cause the short.

So you might try checking the shore power plug...and also the transfer switch connections....but be VERY careful if you open up the transfer switch box....
Larry Swofford
2002 bounder 33R
ldswofford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:52 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
One more time.
As soon as i plug my rv into shore power i trip a breaker in the storage garage. I turned off all the breakers and plugged it in with no problems. turned on the first breaker which is for the inverter and no problems so i then turned on the two breakers for the 50 amp service and it tripped. How do i go about finding the issue??
If I understand your question, it is a 20 amp GFCI breaker in your storage area that is tripping. You say you turn the inverter on without turning the 50 amp coach breakers on. Is the inverter/charger charging the house batteries, or is it inverting and supplying 120v to the house?

I’ve never seen a coach that the 120 power to the charging portion of the inverter/charger did not come through the 50 amp main for the house power. Possibly with a 30 amp breaker feeding a small 30 sub-panel.

The reason it would not trip the storage GFCI with the inverter turned on but not the 50 amp on would because with the 50 amp off, the charger is not getting any power. The minute you turn just the 50 amp on, without the inverter/charger it powers the charger, and trips your 20 amp storage GFCI.

There could be a couple reasons. Something is wrong with the charger. Could be as simple as a bad grounding, or a loose wire. It could be something in the charger has failed. Have you tried plugging into shore power, leaving the inverter/charger off, and see if you have power to any other circuits by turning those breakers on, one at a time?

I had to replace my inverter/charger this year. I didn’t realize that all the power for the 30 amp sub, which is also where the inverter sends its power, passes through the transfer switch in the inverter/charger. If my house batteries are depleted, the 65 amp 12v output of the charger draws enough that it will trip a 15 amp 120 breaker. It also overloads even when on 30, 50 or generator power if I try to run the microwave. After the batteries are charged, and the charger drops back to 5 amp maintain, everything runs fine.

If you are tripping a 20 amp GFCI either you are drawing to much power or there is a ground fault somewhere.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:48 PM   #10

GFCI on my house trips, too...

"If you are tripping a 20 amp GFCI either you are drawing to much power or there is a ground fault somewhere."

Looking through posts this evening because when I plugged in my RV (1999 Fleetwood Discovery 34Q Pusher) after picking up from Freightliner, it trips the GFCI outlet (not breaker) that I plugged it into in my garage. I tried a different circuit on an exterior GFCI outlet, and it trips that GCFI outlet, too. I was not parked close to my 30A exterior outlet so I had the 20A adapter and used a fairly new 12ga 25' extension.
Here is the scenario:
1. I have used this set up several times in the past couple years, but never to a GFCI outlet. Maybe there is a short or drain somewhere that I'm unaware of when it's on the 30A plug? Everything operates correctly.
2. My batteries were at 8v from being unplugged and not driven for a few days. Could I have a huge draw from my charger which is tripping the GFCI?
3. I have it plugged in to my 30A and will check in the morning to see if it reacts differently with fully charged batts.

Jim
Hoof-hearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:17 AM   #11

Quote:
One more time.

Try running genny to see if it does the same thing you might have a bad receptical.

Tags
fleetwood, power, revolution, shore power