Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 07:43 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
2002 National 6355

Hi everyone. I took my 2002 6355 Dolphin over to Cherokee, NC Boys club for repairs. I heard about this place from a fellow camper. They service heavy equipment for the city and county. Thomas, the manager was great. I needed brakes and all the fluid changed. I also had a problem with injectors plugging up. Found out that a shady car lot in Florida changed the fuel tank. They put in a 1oo gal diesel tank and hot glued in a gas fuel pump. The hole was larger than the gas pump so they hot glued a piece of carpet over the remaining hole. The last time I filled up the tank, gas ran out. Of course it was on top of the tank so I couldn't see what the problem was. Anyway, they did a great job. Total cost for all fluids changed, 4 injectors, rear end oil, motor oil and filter, PS and filter, Jacks, Allison trany and filers. all brakes rotors and 2 break calipers, 2 rear brake lines and then the 75 gal fuel tank, 10 gal of gas, $5800. I also had some damaged wires on top of the fuel tank that had to be repaired. I was told I was lucky it didn't catch fire. So my friends, when you buy a used rig, get it inspected by an RV mechanic. One that actually does the work on them. Not the office manager or sales person. Pay them to come and look for you. However I love our Dolphin. Just had 2 new AC's installed, and were ready to travel.
Home Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 07:51 AM   #2

Sounds like you got taken for a ride when you bought the RV, or else the shop that you just left fed you a big story. Did the shop show you that fuel tank and all of the hot glue? How long have you owned the RV as you probably should talk to the attorney general about the seller's business practices.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:07 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, I have the tank. The dealership was great where I bought the Dolphin. All the paper work was complete, no problems at all. Then they closed the sales lot. Out of business. However I had to go to the state to get a title. All car lots have to have a bonding company policy. When I didn't get the title as promised, I went through the bonding company. The motor home has a good home now. Its a 2002 with 2985 miles on it. It now has about 5000. Large 496 Chevy engine with an Allison trany. Runs great but not a lot of power in the NC mountains where we live.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Builder View Post
Yes, I have the tank. The dealership was great where I bought the Dolphin. All the paper work was complete, no problems at all. Then they closed the sales lot. Out of business. However I had to go to the state to get a title. All car lots have to have a bonding company policy. When I didn't get the title as promised, I went through the bonding company. The motor home has a good home now. Its a 2002 with 2985 miles on it. It now has about 5000. Large 496 Chevy engine with an Allison trany. Runs great but not a lot of power in the NC mountains where we live.
That is an amazing low amount of miles for a 2002 chassis. IF you will post ONLY the last 8 digits of the chassis vin #that begins with "5B4", I'll get you the "build sheet" and check for any open recalls. A properly running W-series chassis should not be having a problem with NC mountains
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:47 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
That is an amazing low amount of miles for a 2002 chassis. IF you will post ONLY the last 8 digits of the chassis vin #that begins with "5B4", I'll get you the "build sheet" and check for any open recalls. A properly running W-series chassis should not be having a problem with NC mountains
Wow that would be great. 23341888
Old 06-16-2021, 08:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Wow that would be great. 23341888
I have DL the "build sheet" which shows that chassis had 2 recalls, both of them for the brakes. The first brake recall was done, but the most recent one, 51101-C, to replace all 4 OE calipers- is still "open" = NOT done.

IF you want the build sheet or info about how to get the open recall completed, send me an email: edgray1@gmail.com
Old 06-17-2021, 06:22 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks so much for your help. Well at least something was done. Because of its age, I would think any recall for this unit is not available. I have read that Workhorse has reopened in another name and making electric vehicles.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks so much for your help. Well at least something was done. Because of its age, I would think any recall for this unit is not available. I have read that Workhorse has reopened in another name and making electric vehicles.
NOPE. The recall is still being completed at Navistar's expense.

Navistar sold the name and most of the WCC assets to AMP, which became what is now called Workhorse, and you are right about their latest "mission" - "New" Workhorse has no interest in anything RV.

I will reply to your email with the build sheet and recall completion info.

Tags
national