Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2022, 08:06 PM   #1

2002 Nat'l Tradewinds - Intermittant secondary air tank pressures

The RV is a 2002 Nat'l Tracewinds LE - Ca 3126E on a Spartan chassis.

I am not sure if the correct place for this Class A, National, or Spartan. I will start with this forum.

The symptom is: When the compressor finished its charging cycle the secondary tank goes to 125 psi.

A. Sometimes it will stay there indefinitly. That is it will not move for 20 or 30 minutes. (Until I no longer monitor it.)

B. Sometimes it will start to drop and in about 5 minutes drop to 100. This will also drag the primary down and initiate a compressor cycle.

I have just complete a 2 day trim monitoring this. The ration was A. about 40 percent of the time and B. for 60.

I am not sure where to start looking. The secondary runs the front brakes and the air bag suspension. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this kind of behavior?

(It does not appear to be road surface dependent, however I do suspect the drop occurs more frequentlly on rough or uneven road surfaces. )
Thank you in advance. Please move this if there is a better forum.

Dan
dansawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2022, 10:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Suspension level valve?
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Suspension level valve?
If that were it would charging up the air and letting it sit stationary be a good test?
Old 11-21-2022, 08:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansawyer View Post
If that were it would charging up the air and letting it sit stationary be a good test?
That would be a start. But because it's erratic, (comes and goes) you might have to disconnect the link and move the arm up and down. BE VERY CAREFUL YOU DON'T GET CAUGHT UNDER YOUR RIG!

Raising and lowering the suspension might show up a air leak.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 11-21-2022, 09:35 AM   #5

The vehicle sat over night and the secondary did not drop below about 95. That adds to the data supporting a driving / motion / action sensitive leak. In its current position I can test the front arms. It is on a curved 'hill' and access to the front before the front wheels and the back behind the rear wheels is clear. The middle is not accessable. I will check the front suspension for leaks.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Last year mine started to leak down slowly, then progressively worse, and the irraticcally and at one point it went from 120 psi to 60 psi in 15 minutes. I sprayed down all the fittings on the tanks and found the PPV leaking. But while driving the compressor was able to keep up so I decided to cut my trip short and head home.

First thing I did was build a set of ramp out of 2X10' 30, 36, 42, 48" long screwed together. I made 6 ramps. Put a stop block on the ones for the rear wheel.
Pulled the rig up on the ramps and dropped air. Worked great, could crawl around to check for leaks and sit up near each of the tanks.

Then pulled all the PPV (pressure protection valves) ordered and replaced. Also replace a couple other fittings of similar design and could fail. Bought new Push To Connect fittings also, kept the old for spare. Only spend ~#200 on parts but now no leaks. Rig holds air for weeks.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:03 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Soapy water in a squirt bottle works great for finding leaks. I use a little dish washing soap, maybe 1 teaspoon in a quart of warm water. My eyes are better than my hearing when looking for air leaks these days.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:07 AM   #8

Add the exhaust brake operation and the air horns to the list of items that use air from that tank.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:39 PM   #9

FWIW, your air brakes are a separate system from the air springs.
This Spartan compressed air system drawing will help you understand how it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spartan air system MMS801001.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	381345  
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:25 PM   #10

I discovered a Norgren valve had a leak on one of the electrical connections. The valve is symmetrical, an electrical connection on each side. I used zip ties to moderately pull the two electrical connectors together. Thes seemed to seal the leak.

The secondary circuit has been stable for over 6 hours. I will let this go a few more hours to see if it holds

This would answer the static test question. I would presume the front brake circuit and the air bag circuit when not in use are stable.

Thanks for the discussion. I appreciate the input. I am really shooting in the dark here.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:25 PM   #11

Update:
250 miles later. We started at 8000 feet. We drove 80 miles up and over Hoosier and Vail passes and West on I 70. The secondary cycled about every 4 to 5 minutes for the 125 miles. Then it started holding. This lasted for 30 to 45 minutes until it started dropping again.

We then pulled off an exit for 5 minutes to check an RV spot for the night. Back on the road it started holding again.

It mostly holds when stopped.

I am stuck.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:21 PM   #12

Update:

Traveled from Fruita CO to Rupert ID today. When we started for the first 80 miles or so until we stopped for fuel the secondary cycled.

After we stopped the secondary stayed at 125 psi for over an hour then it started falling.

The pattern was when we stopped the secondary would stay up in pressure for a significant time and then cycle

This pattern held for the rest of the day.

I will call Spartan Monday to see if they have specific doc on this chassis. The available docs have a close pattern but the specifics are different.

Tags
air, pressure, tank, wind