Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #1

2003 Allegro Bus 40 footer

Looking at buying a 2003 Allegro Bus 40 Foot. Has 20000 miles on it and has been sitting since 2006. It has been driven for short jaunts of 10 to 30 miles per week from what I have been told.Has about $20,000 in options from upgraded seats to full body paint. Looking at paying $65,000 for this coach. Question is , is there any thing I should look at Engine wise,? Its coming on winter here in Northern ,Mi so I guess I should have it re-winterized.
leeno69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow, that sounds like a great deal. I would have it inspected by a truck repair place like Freightliner. The price sounds very good, but there is plenty of advice in here for inspection of the "Big Box"
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:40 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like a decent deal but 6 years sitting is a very long time. Personally, I'd be sceptical that it was actually driven every week for 6 years so I'd assume it's been sitting for a while.

Drivetrain really needs to be looked at carefully (belts, seals, bushings, etc) don't do well sitting.
Gen probably needs to be looked at as well.
Was it stored inside or out? If it's outside, it's possible the brakes may need to be overhauled.
If it hasn't been used, tires are probably original so will need to be replaced (budget $3k)
Was the fuel treated and was the fuel tank full?
Other things like slide seals, etc might have dried out as well.

Good luck
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #4

Your risk factor is near triple digits in this transaction. As a minimum, budget for tires and batteries. If it has been setting outside for that long, paint and trim will need a lot of attention. It may not be priced according to risk, as too much can go wrong just setting, fuel, water system, leaks, and the list goes on. Get a pro to check out drive train and one for the coach. So it costs $500 to do that, you will have better control in the transaction. At that price, it should be pretty much ready to go with minimum additional investment. Good luck.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
Your risk factor is near triple digits in this transaction. As a minimum, budget for tires and batteries. If it has been setting outside for that long, paint and trim will need a lot of attention. It may not be priced according to risk, as too much can go wrong just setting, fuel, water system, leaks, and the list goes on. Get a pro to check out drive train and one for the coach. So it costs $500 to do that, you will have better control in the transaction. At that price, it should be pretty much ready to go with minimum additional investment. Good luck.
Don't be overcome by the excitement of your find, although hard not to do. Follow the advice given in the above post and I think you'll be fine. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #6

You really want to check this one out thoroughly, and budget for repairs. I also bought a motorhome that had been sitting for quite a while. I did get a great deal, but had to replace an AC unit, many clamps on the hoses and rebuild the brakes. This was all due to sitting for an extended period. Once the kinks were worked out, it's been great and I still got a great deal, but be prepared.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #7

Allegro bus

Thanks to all who have given me some great advice on the purchase of this bus. I have had a Diesel truck shop take a look at it and he gives the thumbs up for engine ,trans ,brakes and so on. Some minor issues Oil Change and such but nothing noted wrong. So i will proceed with the purchase. It will be an adventure for sure.
leeno69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great to hear, now enjoy the coach and have safe trouble free travels. Post if you have any questions and be sure to post some pictures of your find.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #9

leeno, looking forward to cruising with you next summer! jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #10

by the way, welcome to irv2! jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote