Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #1

2003 Newmar Tail Lights Not Working

Folks,
My tail lights are not lighting when the head lights are on. I pulled the quick disconnect to the end cap and no power there. During trouble shooting I notice that a lot of the lights are controlled by relays. However none of the relays are labeled for tail lights. Does anyone have info on where to check for power going to the back? I can switch relays if I know which is which.
Keep Smiling,
BobrUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #2

If you look at the P/N, relays are all the same. Are you sure you don't have a blown fuse? I would check for a short to ground in the circuit going to the trailer light plug first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	146703  
Old 12-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A 2003 coach age you may want to open the tail light lens and inspect the metal light holding rod.
You may find corrosion and dirty corroded lamp wiring connections, bulbs may have corrosion around them also requires everything to be cleaned up.
In QT's # 3 there is a section for all lights ,head,tail and every light in your coach.
Do not see I ever gave you a Brochure and Owners Guide.
This link will bring you to all the TSB's for your coach.
All the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.
Do not be a stranger to the NEWMAR Forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #4

And what 007 said,
Old 12-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #5

Thanks for all the info. The 2003 Kountry Star is not mentioned much. Either it was the most reliable one ever built or they didn't sell enough of them that year.
Warmed up a little so got to check things out. There is no voltage at the connection, not is it shorted to ground. The light bar looks brand new, no corrosion. The bulb is good. Checked in the basement for fuse boxes but couldn't find a one. Checked the fuse panel in front of the steering wheel again, nothing labeled as tail lights there. BUT, did find a small fuse panel attached to the main panel with fifteen fuses ranging from 5 to 30 Amps. Of course it is a bear to get to and I don't have a fuse puller (other than needle nose and forceps), so before I begin trying to pull this out I'm asking if anyone knows about this little panel and what it is used for. The working area is mighty small, otherwise I'd begin pulling fuses and checking them starting with the biggest first of course.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #6

Here is a gizmo I have that plugs into your VOM that allows to test mini fuses without having to pull them out.
There are other variations of the same thing but this is the one I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Extech-AUT-TL...ni+fuse+tester
Old 12-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #7

Much as I hate to admit it, I'm stumped. Every other light on the coach is working. Every fuse I can find is good. The bulbs are good. The ground is good, somewhere I'm losing power. Tried tracing the wiring bundle but as it arrives in the front the wiring bundles become so jumbled and confused it's near impossible. The only solution I can think of at this point is to run wiring from the front fuse panel back to the tail light wiring. Seems like a lot of work but I can't drive without tail lights. Also have to get a State Safety inspection done before I head South so the tail lights HAVE to be working.
Keep Smiling,
Bob R
Old 12-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobrUSMC View Post
Much as I hate to admit it, I'm stumped. Every other light on the coach is working. Every fuse I can find is good. The bulbs are good. The ground is good, somewhere I'm losing power. Tried tracing the wiring bundle but as it arrives in the front the wiring bundles become so jumbled and confused it's near impossible. The only solution I can think of at this point is to run wiring from the front fuse panel back to the tail light wiring. Seems like a lot of work but I can't drive without tail lights. Also have to get a State Safety inspection done before I head South so the tail lights HAVE to be working.
Keep Smiling,
Bob R
do your rear clearance lites work or your licence plate lite?
if so tap into one of those
also a lot of diesel pusher have a compartment in the left side rear where there are relays fuses etc for the brake lites and signals etc
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
do your rear clearance lites work or your licence plate lite?
if so tap into one of those
also a lot of diesel pusher have a compartment in the left side rear where there are relays fuses etc for the brake lites and signals etc
Good point,

My chassis fuse Bussman is on the RH (passenger) side. This one had me stumped for a while until I realized it is a fuse panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0506.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	147421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0507.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	147422  

Old 12-26-2016, 10:15 AM   #10

Narrowed down the relay that was activated when I turned the headlights on. It is the Clearance Light Relay (Night) (F34). Swapped the relays around, but it made no difference. Had a really good suggestion to check the license plate lights and if they worked to tap off there, but they are out too. Pulled the instrument panel and checked the switch wiring there, that works as advertised. Unfortunately its impossible to follow the wiring which I suspect goes to the relay. No way to look at the bottom of the fuse panel.
It would seem logical that there would be a connection between the two tail light wires and the license plate wiring. My next task will be to try to trace that, hoping that there is not an interconnection in the end cap.
Bob
Old 12-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Narrowed down the relay that was activated when I turned the headlights on. It is the Clearance Light Relay (Night) (F34). Swapped the relays around, but it made no difference. Had a really good suggestion to check the license plate lights and if they worked to tap off there, but they are out too. Pulled the instrument panel and checked the switch wiring there, that works as advertised. Unfortunately its impossible to follow the wiring which I suspect goes to the relay. No way to look at the bottom of the fuse panel.
It would seem logical that there would be a connection between the two tail light wires and the license plate wiring. My next task will be to try to trace that, hoping that there is not an interconnection in the end cap.
Bob
did u go and find the rear relay+ fuse box we were talking about?
Are the rear roof clearance lites out also?
Old 12-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #12

Houston we have tail lights! It dawned on me that I had the perfect place to tap into, the stern running lights where I did all the work for the new backup camera. Since all the holes were already there all I had to do was run a new wire. Used the tow plug to test for the right wire and spliced the power line using a heat shrinkable splice. Nice to get that out of the way, I can watch the football game tonight without my mind in a turmoil.
Happy New Year to All,
Bob
Old 12-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Houston we have tail lights! It dawned on me that I had the perfect place to tap into, the stern running lights where I did all the work for the new backup camera. Since all the holes were already there all I had to do was run a new wire. Used the tow plug to test for the right wire and spliced the power line using a heat shrinkable splice. Nice to get that out of the way, I can watch the football game tonight without my mind in a turmoil.
Happy New Year to All,
Bob

good to hear that's what I told you 2 days ago to do lol

Tags
light, lights, newmar