Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #15

I always admired the Alfas from afar, but my SIL's father owned one for four years and got rid of it a couple or three years ago after he had significant delamination problems and some other issues (but I'm not sure what they were specifically). He has owned probably six large Class As since I've known him as he full times, and he recently told me it was worst RV he'd ever owned.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #16

Mr D - First hand experience is everything. That is why hearsay is not allowed in court. But my overall opinion after 32 years of motor homing is that in the general "pecking order" Monaco is a bit higher on the quality scale than Newmar. Both make a full line, but Monaco IMO is known for higher lines. The Signature being an example of that. But things are changing. I have not seriously looked at motor homes for almost three years. I have however, seen quite a few new Monacos, Tiffins, and Newmars at shows. The list prices make my eyes bug out.

My wife and I both like Dutch Stars. That model was on our short list three years ago when we were shopping for a used coach. I can tell you a minister friend of mine who has full timed for ten years has owned a DS and a Country Coach Magna. His comments were positive on the Dutch Star, but said the Magna was "much more heavy duty".

But we should go back to Alpha which was the original subject.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #17

A friend of mine is on his 3rd Alfa and really only problem he has is it should have been painted. Gel coat is a chore and decals are a pain.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Alfa See Ya: To buy or not to buy

Yes, lets do get back to the original question about whether to purchase an ALFA product. I have been an ALFA owner for 5 years, bought mine used in 2007 and I agree that owners either love them or hate them. Alfateers is on speed dial on my cell phone and I have found them extremely knowledgable about all the units. They can diagnose and evaluate an ALFA coach over the phone and have a full facility shop in Fontana, CA for repairs, repaint, and upgrades on all the units that remain on the road today. They know each coach by it's serial number or VIN number and have complete parts lists for each individual coach available on computer. We have a close knit community that gets together at Quartzsite every January, and a national rally every year in the spring that is a great community event and one where information is shared freely. There remain 7 distinct chapters of the original ALFA Owners Groups and they are all committed owners. 6 of the chapters are part time RVer's and the 7th and largest is the Roadrunner full timer chapter. I go to Freightliner to get chassis, Allison transmission and engine service, (mine has a Cummins ISL 400 Turbo) or I go to Cummins for engine service regularly. I would call Dometic for my refrigerator issues if they existed, I call Fantastic Vent if I have a problem there. I call Carefree if I have an awning problem,I call Thetford if my commode were to act up. My tires are Michelin, my tow bar is Roadmaster. I call whomever has the most knowledge about it. Almost all of the coaches have had some form of interior upgrades many are unique and some quite exquisite. Just like when you buy a house you make the changes that suit your taste not the previous owners.I love the storage volume of an ALFA, I love the high (7 foot) ceilings and the 4 foot main slide that expands my living space. I love the power of the Cummins engine going up a hill effortlessly, and I love the engine compression brake coming downhill. I know about the fiberglass delamination issue that plagued many owners and was totally frustrating, but that issue if it exists among the current coaches would have shown up on the 2004 unit long before now. Yes, the some of the decals on my fiberglass finish are starting to fray around the edges particularly in places where the exposure to long term sun has been present. I am contemplating having them removed and the unit repainted. My friends have already had this done. But I kept the coach washed every 3 months and hand waxed religiously every year and the decals are in remarkably good shape overall.Every RVer has their particular desirable features and love for their particular coach brand. I have not run into a "perfect" coach manufacturer yet. All they can do is correct the issue, hopefully with the customers best interest at heart, and we all move on down the road. Gentlemen, let's not throw stones when we all live in glass houses! The only person I would see with the right to respond is that owner who has owned their coach for 5-7 years and never, never had one problem!Cathe
ALFA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #19

Looking At Alfa See Ya

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a 2004 Alfa See Ya. As we have read, we know the company doesn't exist any more. We live on the East coast and are looking for something to travel in and take the three of us (our family, Best part of my life - wife and I and our fur baby) around the USA.

We are new to the groups.

Dennis
DSchatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #20

Dennis - The short answer is no you should not purchase and Alfa on the east coast unless you are prepared to mechanically deal with lots of issues and no factory to support you. Alfa coaches were made by Johnny Crean who basically created the Fleetwood line of extremely successful motorhomes and then went on his own with Alfa. They were made in Southern California and went away with the crunch in the 2007-08 time frame. I live 100 miles away and could likely find lots of guys/shops to do work on these coaches. I am not sure you you could.

These were pretty good rigs known for being 7' 2" interior ceiling hight. They also included a lot for the money. But if you are a typical family looking for a vacation rig you should get something that you can get fixed easy.

Coaches that would be low priced and be much easier to find mechanics to work on them would be things like Fleetwoods, Winnebagos, Tiffins, Monacos, and Newmars of the same era. Fleetwood Bounders sold in huge volume in that time period and Winnebago sold lots of their smaller class A's too. Those would be good bets for you guys IMHO.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Some Pic's would be nice.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:05 PM   #22

When I was looking for a used coach, I talked to two people that had made a living repairing coaches and inspecting them. Both told me not to look at Alpha's because they did not think the quality was where it should be. This is obviously not first hand information, but since I was paying them for their evaluation, I took their advice. They recommended Newmar, Tiffin and Country Coach. I ended up with a Newmar and have been pleased with my choice of manufacturers.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are lots of Alpha's out and about. Two in our park and as I travel I see many more. I don't know a lot other than the owners I've talked with state their major issue is small delaminating spots in the gel coat. It's fixable but can be costly if your a newbie. No factory backup can be testy but most maintenance is easily accomplished with a "Reliable" service center. Best of luck. Use due diligence pay for a complete survey with fluid analysis.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Everyone just shakes at any mention of the word 'Delam". I've seen many coaches with some form of if. Anyone know of a coach that disintegrated because of it?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #25

The specific of the unit your looking at, should be used in making a determination on if the Alfa is right for you.

We looked thru several Alfa's, as I liked the extra the headroom in some of their units. Most Alfa's owners I've talked to remain fans of their coaches. Sure, delaminated impacted coaches should be IMO avoided, but this is not only an Alfa issue.

If it checks out good, and meets your layout needs, and is priced fairly - Alfa being an orphan would not deter my decision in anyway.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
These folks are what remains of the company: Alfateers RV Service - 909.428.6775

Folks I know with Alfa coaches love them. But... Some of the repair issues are a problem.

I think it was Johnny Crean's dad who founded Fleetwood. It is too bad Alfa went under. I was going to buy one when the company closed. Now, all these years later, I think if the floor plan was what I wanted and the price fit my budget I would chance it if the rig were in good working order.

None of the rigs on the road are without problems from time to time. Some brands seem to be more problem prone than others. If the service record is available and looks good I think you will be pleased. If you get it, one of your first trips might be to the Freightliner factory in Gaffney, SC. Call for an appointment. They will service your chassis and bring it back to nearly new condition if you have the bucks available.

Merry Christmas and Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 12-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #27
mdo

2005 Alfa with 16K miles...upstate SC.....

http://www.portersrvsales.com/2005-a...e-ya-40fd.html

(864) 260-9276
mdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
If you would PM me I can send you to 2, Yahoo Groups Sites. I am chapter president of the Alfa Roadrunners. We have over 150 members.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote