Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
2004 American Coach

I have owned a Monaco and a Itasca both great quality. Now looking at a 2006 American Coach 42R. Any comments on quality and its C9 Cat 400 hp will be appreciated. Never have talked with anyone who has had a Cat diesel. Also any comments on it's somewhat negotiable $124,000.00 price with 53,000 miles on it. Always stored in climate controlled storage with on owner, no wrecks on history report.
Mikefpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #2

I own a 40' Mandalay with a C7 cat 350 hp. Cat has been a good engine. Only complaint is it can't seem to keep the serpentine belt on. Otherwise it has been great.
mhshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
American Coach is top quality.
For a 2006 with those low miles, the "starting/asking" price sounds about right.
Final price depends on the overall condition and extras/upgrades that come with the coach (like washer/dryer, tire age, etc.).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefpt View Post
I have owned a Monaco and a Itasca both great quality. Now looking at a 2006 American Coach 42R. Any comments on quality and its C9 Cat 400 hp will be appreciated. Never have talked with anyone who has had a Cat diesel. Also any comments on it's somewhat negotiable $124,000.00 price with 53,000 miles on it. Always stored in climate controlled storage with on owner, no wrecks on history report.
You haven't said which American and your subject matter indicates 2004, while you're saying 06.
With the C9, yes and you're talking late 05 for some of these. With an 06, $125K could be a bit much with some models, so yes that's important info.
One of my likes when choosing our coach, was for the CAT and there' plenty of them around in the higher end pre-recession years, when American like some others, shined. Just be sure with your choosing, you don't get an 07 engine. Ours has the 06 engine and the last of the slobber tubes, before CAT left the over the road business. Seems that the HUEI pump is the only thing that makes it not bullet proof, but none are perfect and run without some sort of maintenance issue. Just keep clean oil in it and it should be fine.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
more info on the american tradition

yes it is an 06 american tradition with upgrades that are standard on the eagle or heritage. What is the "slobber tube".
Mikefpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #6

What’s wrong with a 07 engine?

I am considering a revolution 42n from 2007-2008 which has the cat c9, spartan chassis etc
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
yes it is an 06 american tradition with upgrades that are standard on the eagle or heritage. What is the "slobber tube".
These are like the engines of old with the open tube hanging out of the crankcase and before the stricter emission controls.
By the way, you should be able to find a nice Tradition for less than a $100K. Just don't be afraid to make offers and sooner or later, you'll get your price and not tow worry, you'll find something to spend the rest on later and most likely within the first year.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
What’s wrong with a 07 engine?

I am considering a revolution 42n from 2007-2008 which has the cat c9, spartan chassis etc
The later 07 engines were with some band-aides to meet last minute emission controls, that caused some problems. This right before CAT gave up the road business, which didn't account for much, anyway. There may be some earlier 07's with the slobber tube, like the 06, but not sure.
The Revolutions of that era were Fleetwood's flagship and made on the American Platform which they owned at the time. 05, 06 and 07 were the only years for the CAT, as far as I know and most all 07's will have an 06 chassis and engine, but better to double check with the serial no. to be sure.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:38 PM   #9

OP, you should get the built date of engine. If you can get the engine S/N, I would recommend you calling local Caterpiller dealer with it.

Engine build date determines emissions complaince, a 2007 coach or chassis that has a 2006 build date engine has to compley with 06 emissions.

I've seen many glider kit trucks that are titled as a 2008 or newer and have a pre-emission mechanical engineer that were legal.

The Cat C-9 was a good piece. Just wasn't coast effective for Cat to stay in the on-highway market.

There back in it today, (not with a C-9) as well as all their off highway engines over 25 HP must meet tier 4 emission.

Here's some 2017 year model trucks with no DEF/DPF
https://www.fitzgeraldgliderkits.com...peterbilt-389/

All this above is just information, I wouldn't be afraid of that year engine, that's a very nice high line coach.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:54 PM   #10

We have an 06 Traditions with C9, the 5-6 mpg is the only complaint so far, it was a one owner with 11,000 miles garage kept when we got it now has 25,000 miles just got back from a 5700 mile trip west, It;s on a Spartan chassis and drives better than a lot of cars .If I had been choosing an engine I would have preferred a Cummins as the Common Rail injection is a much better fuel injection system than HUEI but Cummins had some engine issues in those years too.
We are very proud of our coach and have had compliments all over the country no one believes it's 12 years old. I think you'll like an American Coach !!
hardint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Our last motorhome had a CAT engine with a rear radiator. The engine vented out and would clog up the radiator so we ran a tube from the vent down to the bumper so all the oil mist would vent past the radiator. Made a mess on the towed car. Not sure if some came standard with this but it's an add on. Think of it as that tube that ran from the valve cover to the air cleaner on older cars.

Our newer Cummins does not have the tube so it must be an closed system.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
Our last motorhome had a CAT engine with a rear radiator. The engine vented out and would clog up the radiator so we ran a tube from the vent down to the bumper so all the oil mist would vent past the radiator. Made a mess on the towed car. Not sure if some came standard with this but it's an add on. Think of it as that tube that ran from the valve cover to the air cleaner on older cars.

Our newer Cummins does not have the tube so it must be an closed system.
I have a Gator aid bottle with a bunch of holes drilled and a piece of steel wool in the bottom, hanging on my slobber tube and even though I have a side radiator. It collects next to nothing, so very little if any blow-by with my engine and I certainly can't see any. Had a 62 Merc six once and the slobber tube smoked more that the exhaust did....
CAT was able to keep the slobber tube during those pre 07 years and because of the 1/2 billion $ they spent on ACERT technology that was different than all the rest. but it evidently went only so far, so they gave up the highway business when the gov. increased the standards.
Can't say what the HUEI pump has to do with all this, but seems to be the only flaw. Still, most go on forever without an incident and we only hear about the ones that didn't, which could be because of filthy crankcase oil, that's never been changed, for all we know.
Don't know what the quick fix was for the 07 engines, either and they could have piped the slobber tube right back into the air intake, for all I know, so again...