Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2011, 03:44 AM   #1

2004 national seabreeze fuse box under hood corrosion

Hello, I have always come here to pick the brains of fellow RV'ers and thought I would throw this out there.
I noticed in the hood of my motorhome the fuse block with an assortment of fuses. I pulled one out and it looked to have a little bit of corrosion on the fuse legs and in the fuse socket. Not bad but noticeable. I am not having any electrical problems, but thought if there was something I could do to prevent it from getting worse, someone out there would know. I thought about pulling each fuse one at a time, and spraying some wd-40 in there, but had second thoughts. Didn't know if I would short anything out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Grandpadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:39 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello,
I would not us WD 40. Probably pull fuse one at a time, remember to check what is affected by that fuse first, clean with 400 or close equivalent grit then lightly coat with bulb grease. This will help prevent further corrosion and enhance contact.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now about the water getting under the hood and into your fuses..on my see breeze the air filter was getting wet. From help on the forum I found that I needed a gasket around the front hood to keep rain out. I bought rubber "Bulb" door seal with its own stickyback and ran it inside the hood. Cheep fix.
donhoward49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Grandpadave....DO what you can to fix the fuses and then look at how the box is sealed and see if you can improve/repair. You might also try putting in some type of drying product like the littel containers that come in pill bottles or the packets that come in some products. Just throw them inside to absorb water. Even a dry cloth under the cover will absorb water.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:37 AM   #5

I picked up some emery cloth and bulb grease at the auto parts store yesterday, will through fuses one at a time cleaning and applying some bulb grease on fuse legs today. As far as how moisture is getting up in there, I might be guilty. I wash my motorhome after each use thoroughly, and living in Florida, I would come back from some trips and front would be covered with love bugs, I would open the hood and spray in there, trying to get all the love bugs off from radiator. I will have to be more careful where I'm spraying in the future. Thanks for all the info!
Grandpadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:05 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpadave
I picked up some emery cloth and bulb grease at the auto parts store yesterday, will through fuses one at a time cleaning and applying some bulb grease on fuse legs today. As far as how moisture is getting up in there, I might be guilty. I wash my motorhome after each use thoroughly, and living in Florida, I would come back from some trips and front would be covered with love bugs, I would open the hood and spray in there, trying to get all the love bugs off from radiator. I will have to be more careful where I'm spraying in the future. Thanks for all the info!
Grandpadave, regarding the radiator, it is a great idea to keep it clean to prevent overheating problems. I found through the forum that "Simple Green" makes a product that is safe for Al. It is used to clean the leading edge of aircraft and has no corrosive properties. Just cleaned my fan cage and rear radiator on my coach. It removed all the road grime and now looks as new. Try it, google up comes in gallons use 4oz. To a gallon in a pressure sprayer also cleans wheels etc.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote