Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

2005 Alfa See Ya Help!

Hi There,

Just looking for some info on the Alfa line, we have sort of bought one now and wondering if we should back out of the deal. The 36' unit only has 11000 miles on it and 318 hours on the generator. The title shows it at 2005, but when I pulled a car fax it only has records starting from 2008, is it possible that that car fax is lagging behind with the data, or Missisipi didn't report to carfax then or it is possible with the Alfa close down somewhere somehow this unit did not make its way out of the lot until 2008. I just don't understand how it can only have 11,000miles but i'm hoping someone in this forum might have some insight. Also like I said above that I only sort of bought it from an auction not realizing that it says under the description that it doesn't start, I scanned through the listing to fast and when bidding at the auction clicked a little to fast. I'm not sure if it could be something as simple as the auction being lazy and they just gave up when they were doing the condition report. There is still time to back out but I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the deal I got it at(Keep in mind this was bought directly from a Bank so they don't really care what price they sell the units at). What could be wrong with it having only 11,000 miles? From my knowledge I would assume that this would be something simple but am in for something different being a diesel?

Please message me if you have any input that could help me.

Anyone live in the Fort Worth area that I could pay to help me would be much appreciated!

Thanks again

Tom
tom050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Just my opinion but if your in Canada and the coach is in Texas keep looking unless you are prepared to fly down there I would not rely on an inspection from someone I didn 't know. Plus I would not turn over a penny until I saw it. There could be a thousand reasons it won't start including a blown egine.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #3

Thanks GG1, the reason I'm looking in the States right now is because coaches are so expensive here in Canada and with the current dollar its a huge savings. I would plan on flying down to pick it up and I've done this in the past with exotics cars from these auctions. The auction I am buying from is a dealers auction where the banks sell the repos not just some ebay or public auction house, I wish had bought one that was running but I didn't and I'm not sure what to do! :(
tom050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Low mileage could be for a number of reasons, such as short vacations and weekend use only, or illness. Not starting could be as simple as dead batteries or something more serious. I have almost 30,000 miles on my RV and have less than 300 hours on the generator, but we rarely dry camp.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
About a year and a half ago, I was going to bid on an Alfa from a guy in Canada. The motor home was just over the line in the US because (according to him) he could not get it registered and tagged in Canada. I didn't ask...it was too far in the boonies anyway and it had side panel delamination issues.

We bought our coach on e-bay but this deal sounds like it is well over my 'fear factor'. Good luck on your decision. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tom050,
scenic route posted my biggest concern. Can you get the coach titled in Canada? Each manufacturer must have completed whatever Canada requires to certify their vehicles for titling in Canada. If you contact Canada DOT, maybe they can help tell you if Alfa got their 2005 coaches certified for Canada.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try this for MH's that can be brought over. Good Luck

Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Vehicle Admissibility
Old 03-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #8

When people are still working they can't take as long trips I have 8,000 miles.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom050 View Post
Hi There,

Just looking for some info on the Alfa line...

Please message me if you have any input that could help me.

Anyone live in the Fort Worth area that I could pay to help me would be much appreciated!

Tom,

I'm SW of Ft. Worth, driving up to DFW for work (airline pilot) tomorrow at noon. I can put eyes on it; but, if the coach doesn't run, why take it, even if it's given to you?
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Low mileage should not be a problem. I bought a 2004 Pace Arrow in 09 with 2,680 miles on it and 118 hours on the gen. I now have 9,000 miles on it. But I would have to check this one out if it won't start.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #11

John Bleakley RV here in Georgia was selling a brand new, never previously sold 2006 Beaver Marquis in 2010. It sat on the lot for four years. Now I bet that will show up the same way on Car Fax. The only miles on the coach was delivery miles and a few test drives.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #12

Another concern is the delamination problem that Alpha had and which put them out of business. I did a quick look and could not find the model years that had the problem, but you surely should look that up.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpa, see ya