Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Does anyone know about 2005 Cummins rod failures outside of serial number recall
Yes 1 12.50%
More information 5 62.50%
Options as result 1 12.50%
Any recourse 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey Deb,

Please give us an update on your situation if you feel comfortable. We are all very concerned about you and would like to know if you are going to be OK. Let us know.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2017, 11:40 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I just had an engine rebuild done, rebuild kit, new pistons, injectors, turbo, and on and on, of course ours is very old so I'm sure the newer ones are way more expensive. I spent $19,600 something. I could have gotten it done for less but we bought cummins parts so at least it has a years warranty, not much. But as DH said, if its going to go it likely will pretty
quick if something major was done.

Our 92 Eagle though had the engine where they could roll it out the back, had to disconnect a lot, we also had the rear seal replaced and transmission service plus compression checks, etc. It is a very reputable dealer that does over the road semis and all kinds of diesel engines.

He did say it costs more for the newer ones, but wow that's a lot more.
My sympathies for sure.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:17 AM   #45

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
PatStab,
Sounds like you got good service and they did a thorough on your engine and also making sure the entire drivetrain will function properly. If you don't mind could you let us know who did your rebuild?
Thanks.... always good to know where the best service is. Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A used engine is a whole lot cheaper than a new coach. If is was mine. I be on the net looking for a used ISL to stab in there. Those engines were built in huge numbers and can be found all over the county. If you like the coach and your serious about RVing don't give up. Look at all your options. Just stay away from the CAPS ISLs and you'll be fine. Your engine is a common rail and that is what you want. I think the CAPS engines were discontinued in 2003. Not sure.

Here's a fire breathing dragon I found on Ebay starting bid is $2300.00:
CUMMINS ISL 8.9L, DIESEL ENGINE | eBay

Go for it!!!! What have you got to lose.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
... Look at all your options. Just stay away from the CAPS ISLs and you'll be fine. Your engine is a common rail and that is what you want. I think the CAPS engines were discontinued in 2003. Not sure.
So how would the OP know the difference between a CAPS ISL and a common rail ISL. Is there a Serial Number range to reference?

I know the CAPS engines were produced between 1998 and 2003, but how would one tell the difference just by looking at it? I've read that the CAPS motors have individual fuel lines running to each injector, but cannot find a picture of this anywhere. Can you post a pic or link of each (CAPS and Common Rail)?

Thanks!
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #48

Yikes! I am thinking of buying a 2006 coach on a freightliner chassis with an ISL 400. I was going to check the serial numbers, but now am wondering if I should bother with this coach.

I only starting searching around as the Cummings engine was black like most of the others I had seen recently, but has a bright red valve cover which i had not seen on any prior coach. That made me head back to the hotel and start googling for answers. I am wondering if that valve cover was changed during the recall fix, it does mention something about 18 " in diameter and looks like it could be from the factory to blow hot air out the back louvers. (this is a side radiator coach) I have not seen that fan on any prior coach.

Thanks, Bill
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
Yikes! I am thinking of buying a 2006 coach on a freightliner chassis with an ISL 400. I was going to check the serial numbers, but now am wondering if I should bother with this coach.

I only starting searching around as the Cummings engine was black like most of the others I had seen recently, but has a bright red valve cover which i had not seen on any prior coach. That made me head back to the hotel and start googling for answers. I am wondering if that valve cover was changed during the recall fix, it does mention something about 18 " in diameter and looks like it could be from the factory to blow hot air out the back louvers. (this is a side radiator coach) I have not seen that fan on any prior coach.

Thanks, Bill
I had the same fear. Here is what I did. I went to the coach looked up the serial number and called Freightliner. They told me from the serial number of the coach what the serial number of the engine was. Then they told me to call local Cummins and find out if it was one of the ones in the pool. It was, but the Cummins dealer told me that he looked into the computer records and it had been fixed in 2007 and was no longer a recall issue. He said all other recalls were done.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:12 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
VTWINWILLY, Serial numbers will tell all and all you have to do is call Cummins and they'll tell what it is. BTW the recall fix was to put a pressure Switch on the crankcase with an idiot light on the dash. If the light came you pull over and shut it down. They didn't replace the wrist pins on motorhome chassis just on emergency vehicles. There is a lot of info on the Cummins forum on all this stuff. Check it out.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:26 AM   #51

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The black ISL engine with the red top cover is very common.... does not mean there is anything wrong with the engine. Lots of ISL engines came from the factory with the red top cover.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:55 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
I had the same fear. Here is what I did. I went to the coach looked up the serial number and called Freightliner. They told me from the serial number of the coach what the serial number of the engine was. Then they told me to call local Cummins and find out if it was one of the ones in the pool. It was, but the Cummins dealer told me that he looked into the computer records and it had been fixed in 2007 and was no longer a recall issue. He said all other recalls were done.

Do not be misled. Cummins "fix" was to put a sensor on the engine and a light on the dash to give you a few seconds warning to shut down the engine. There was nothing done for motorhome owners to fix the actual problem.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Do not be misled. Cummins "fix" was to put a sensor on the engine and a light on the dash to give you a few seconds warning to shut down the engine. There was nothing done for motorhome owners to fix the actual problem.
So, does the lack of oil cause the failure in the wrist pin or does the wrist pin break cause the lack of oil. If the sensor was installed, it would appear that Cummins has determined that the lack of oil has caused the break. I have my doubts. Is this a wide spread problem? How many of these engines have broken wrist pins? Can you refer me to other posts where this is discussed? Thanks.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #54

Quote:
So, does the lack of oil cause the failure in the wrist pin or does the wrist pin break cause the lack of oil. If the sensor was installed, it would appear that Cummins has determined that the lack of oil has caused the break. I have my doubts. Is this a wide spread problem? How many of these engines have broken wrist pins? Can you refer me to other posts where this is discussed? Thanks.

Cummins hasn't been very forthcoming about this defect and just calling a "machining defect".

Defect Summary: CERTAIN ISL CUMMINS CM850 DIESEL ENGINES PRODUCED FOR RECREATIONAL VEHICLE APPLICATIONS BETWEEN OCTOBER 17, 2005, AND APRIL 18, 2006, WITH ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER RANGE FROM 46543077 TO 46603939. THE CONNECTING ROD CONTAINS A MACHINING DEFECT IN THE WRIST PIN BUSHING OF THE ROD THAT COULD CAUSE SEIZURE OF THE PISTON PIN.

Consequence Summary: IF ALLOWED TO PROGRESS, THIS COULD LEAD TO ENGINE FAILURE WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF THE ROD RUPTURING THE BLOCK CAVITY. OIL AND DEBRIS ON THE ROADWAY COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Cummins doesn't publish any stats concerning this or how many engines may have failed. I personally know of one failure, in an '06 Allegro Bus. The sensor was installed but gave no warning when the engine failed.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
I just had an engine rebuild done, rebuild kit, new pistons, injectors, turbo, and on and on, of course ours is very old so I'm sure the newer ones are way more expensive. I spent $19,600 something. I could have gotten it done for less but we bought cummins parts so at least it has a years warranty, not much. But as DH said, if its going to go it likely will pretty
quick if something major was done.

Our 92 Eagle though had the engine where they could roll it out the back, had to disconnect a lot, we also had the rear seal replaced and transmission service plus compression checks, etc. It is a very reputable dealer that does over the road semis and all kinds of diesel engines.

He did say it costs more for the newer ones, but wow that's a lot more.
My sympathies for sure.
PatStab,

How many miles were on your engine? Why did it require a rebuild?

Thx!
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #56

Quote:
I was able to get the serial number off the engine and it was smack dab in the middle of the recalled numbers. I called a local cummings dealer and found out the recall was only fixed 3 weeks ago. That dealer thought I should call cummings to see if the extended warranted was from the date of the fix. He thought it should be, i figure that would be too good to be true... I also determined the coach does not have any of the service records for the last 4 years. So an extended service plan would probably not cover a blown engine. UGH. Talk about a mind blower....
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins