Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 07:27 AM   #1

2005 Itasca Suncruiser 38R

Can anyone give me input on what to look for with this?

https://www.zoomersrv.com/product/us...-38r-1313130-9

My wife and I are thinking of this for us and the family. We looked at it, looks really clean, is the price right with the miles? anything I should look for with this year / model?

thanks in advance
dtruck260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 08:25 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We had an '05 Suncruiser 37B for for 6 years. It went across the country 6 times and was mostly trouble free for 63,000+ miles. When we traded it, the dealer allowed us about 50K (2010) and they sold it almost a year later for about 40K. So I think it is a great coach (depending on condition) and it's priced High!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:28 AM   #3

That is what we are feeling as well, the price is high, but looking around it seems like it might be inline,
Old 10-25-2020, 08:36 AM   #4

The Suncruiser was the top of their line gasser, and in todays market i dont think the price is too high, even for a coach with that mileage. Id still TRY to get something off if the coach is really clean and your wife likes it.
Im a big fan of the Workhouse chassis but you need to VERIFY that the Bosch Brake Caliper RECALL has been completed. If not, the seller should get that done prior to your purchase.

For me, the biggest concern would be the condition of the basement HVAC system that I think that model has. Replacing it, if necessary, can be a big problem and expensive too.
Good luck with you shopping
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I would seriously consider having a certified RV inspector give it the once-over! If you decide to do it yourself, be sure to check the operation of ALL systems before writing the check!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #6

I will go through it all next week, spent a lot of time Sat looking it over, it does look really clean

Thank you for all the help
Old 10-25-2020, 12:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtruck260 View Post
I will go through it all next week, spent a lot of time Sat looking it over, it does look really clean

Thank you for all the help
Look at the engine compartment from the front, there "should be" a yellow sticker somewhere prominent that indicates the brake recall, 51101-C, was done. Applying this sticker was part of the recall procedures. Hoping you find it.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:21 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Look at the engine compartment from the front, there "should be" a yellow sticker somewhere prominent that indicates the brake recall, 51101-C, was done. Applying this sticker was part of the recall procedures. Hoping you find it.

Did the brake recall apply to the W-24 chassis?
Old 10-25-2020, 01:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Ill for sure do that, I did look in the engine bay but dont remember seeing that.

I am a very good mechanic, but this is my first time on this size of machine (ie, the drive train is all old hat to me, but the chassis and remainder will take a few to grasp)
Old 10-25-2020, 02:00 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
The 38R would be on the W-24 chassis and did not have the brake problem.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #11

I have a 2005 Suncruiser 38J on the W24 chassis. I believe all of the 38' Suncruisers were built on the Workhorse W24 and thus the brake recall does not apply. I think both the chassis and the MH of that vintage are generally well built.

That stated there are two issues that pop up on Winnebagos of that vintage. The first is the needed inspection and sealing of the roof to wall joint. If the sealant (caulking) fails it can allow the roof to pop out and peel back. The second is leaking around the windshield. This can cause the steel to rust out and progressively get worse. A good inspection can reveal both issues. A search of this forum can give more information if desired.

I think that the listed price is appropriate for today's "hot" RV market. I would try to negotiate a lower price but would not feel like I over paid at that price.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelcan View Post
I have a 2005 Suncruiser 38J on the W24 chassis. I believe all of the 38' Suncruisers were built on the Workhorse W24 and thus the brake recall does not apply. I think both the chassis and the MH of that vintage are generally well built.

That stated there are two issues that pop up on Winnebagos of that vintage. The first is the needed inspection and sealing of the roof to wall joint. If the sealant (caulking) fails it can allow the roof to pop out and peel back. The second is leaking around the windshield. This can cause the steel to rust out and progressively get worse. A good inspection can reveal both issues. A search of this forum can give more information if desired.

I think that the listed price is appropriate for today's "hot" RV market. I would try to negotiate a lower price but would not feel like I over paid at that price.

Mike

Thank you much, this makes me feel a bit better about the price, Thanks to everyone you all inadvertently answered all my questions (like what chassis, brake recall)
Old 10-25-2020, 07:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
The 38R would be on the W-24 chassis and did not have the brake problem.
Look at the Zoomer's listing in the first post by the OP. Assuming the listing by the dealer for this motorhome is correct, the sixth digit of the vin # is the number "6" indicating a w-22. The W-24 chassis would have the letter "A" in the sixth position of the vin. That being said, I doubt Winnebago would build a 39 ft mh on a W-22 chassis but I would make sure before purchase
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #14

I just looked up the brochure for the 2005 Itasca Suncruiser and surprisingly the W-22 was the standard chassis for the 38R model, with the W-24 being an option. A 39 ft coach on a 22,000 lb chassis would probably not have much cargo carry capacity. It's your choice to make and I'm not trying to discourage you, just thought it was worth mentioning.
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, suncruiser