Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2023, 07:53 AM   #1

2007 Winnebago 35j brake recall question

Hi All,

first time posted but i have been reading a lot of good stuff on this forum!

I recently bought a 2007 Winnebago 35 j I have herd a lot about the brake recall how can I find out if the recall was done ? at this time I have no issues with the brakes.
thank you in advance
jeff
jabfd32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2023, 08:08 AM   #2

I also have a 2007 motorhome. It is on a 2006 F53 chassis. The 10th position of the VIN indicates model year. The site below says no recalls for my VIN.

https://www.ford.com/support/recalls/
Old 03-24-2023, 11:19 AM   #3

thank you for your response. Sorry I forgot to mention I have a workhorse w20 chassis
Old 03-24-2023, 01:00 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

According to the feds -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or NHTSA, there were nine (9) recalls issued on a 2007 Winnebago Sightseer (HERE). Yes, one of them was for the service brakes. It is recall campaign #09V186000

2007 WINNEBAGO SIGHTSEER RECALL - #09V186000

If you go to the bottom of the page in the link above, it will list and link the additional eight recalls.

I believe --and the experts here on the forum can correct this if it is not correct-- that Winnebago is responsible for keeping track of the recalls as they are, according to the NHTSA, the official "manufacturer" of the vehicle and responsible for tracking recalls no matter if they are chassis issues or coach/house issues.

I'd start with Winnebago. Call them and give them your VIN and ask them how to find out if the recall was done. Again, I'm not sure if calling Winnebago is the correct place to start but I'm sure many forum members here have had experience with this and can correct me if incorrect.

Putting your VIN # in the NHTSA page I linked in the first paragraph will give you the recalls for your specific vehicle but I don't believe it will tell you if the recall was done or not. Put your VIN in that box and take a look however. HERE is the page where you can enter your VIN so you don't have to scroll up to the first paragraph.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabfd32 View Post
thank you for your response. Sorry I forgot to mention I have a workhorse w20 chassis
If you will post the last 8 digits ONLY of the chassis vin # that begins with "5B4", I can check on the STATUS of any recalls that were issued for your chassis.

FYI, ALL of the W-22 series chassis, including the W-20, were recalled in 2010 to replace the OE calipers.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:49 PM   #6

^ It's good that there's somebody on the forum that can determine if the recall has been done to your unit.

As I mentioned in the prior post, however, it still may be interesting for you to put your VIN in the NHTSA form (HERE) and see if all nine recalls pertain to your specific coach.

As for the brake recall issued on 5/1/2009, this is what is printed on the page on in the link I posted previously:
Quote:
Description: WINNEBAGO IS RECALLING VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AXLES THAT INCLUDE BOSH ZOPS OR ZOHT PIN SLIDE HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKES. WHEN COMBINED WITH OCCASIONAL OR SEASONAL VEHICLE OPERATION MAY EXPERIENCE CALIPERS STICKING IN THE APPLIED POSITION. THIS CAN RESULT IN ABNORMAL HEAT GENERATION AT THE WHEEL END CAUSING BRAKE DRAG. THE DRIVER WOULD NORMALLY HAVE WARNING OF THE BRAKE DRAG IF UNDETECTED BY THE DRIVER.

Consequences: THE DRIVER WOULD NORMALLY DETECT THE BRAKE DRAG BUT IF UNDETECTED THE TEMPERATURE INCREASE AT THE WHEEL END CAN EVENTUALLY LEAD TO SOFT PEDAL CONDITIONS DUE TO BRAKE FLUID BOIL, AND POSSIBLE EXTENDED STOPPING DISTANCE INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Corrective action
: DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE NECESSARY COMPONENTS FREE OF CHARGE WORKHORSE IS HANDLING THE REMEDY FOR THIS CAMPAIGN PLEASE SEE 09V-110. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT WORKHORSE AT 1-877-246-7731 OR WINNEBAGO AT 1-641-585-3535.

Notes: OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
Old 03-24-2023, 08:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
^ It's good that there's somebody on the forum that can determine if the recall has been done to your unit.

As I mentioned in the prior post, however, it still may be interesting for you to put your VIN in the NHTSA form (HERE) and see if all nine recalls pertain to your specific coach.

As for the brake recall issued on 5/1/2009, this is what is printed on the page on in the link I posted previously:
Interesting. From what you have apparently copied from the website that is claiming they got the info from NHTSA, that would appear to be their version of what the Workhorse Bosch Brake Caliper recall 51101-C was about, however, 51101-C was not issued by WCC until September 2010. I don't believe ANY of the coach builders actually performed the brake recall. OBTW, Bosch did not make the improved version of the caliper available until June 4th, 2010.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Interesting. From what you have apparently copied from the website that is claiming they got the info from NHTSA, that would appear to be their version of what the Workhorse Bosch Brake Caliper recall 51101-C was about, however, 51101-C was not issued by WCC until September 2010. I don't believe ANY of the coach builders actually performed the brake recall. OBTW, Bosch did not make the improved version of the caliper available until June 4th, 2010.
Well not really, that site actually was just copying what was stated on the NHTSA website. Yes, I should have used the NHTSA site to quote from:

2007 WINNEBAGO SIGHTSEER - NHTSA

...then go to the "RECALLS" link in the middle of the page for the nine recalls and their explanation. The date was slightly off however as it says May 29, 2009.

Are we referencing the same thing?

Below is the screenshot from their website for NHTSA Campaign Number: 09V186000 from that page:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 20-43-29 2007 WINNEBAGO SIGHTSEER NHTSA.png
Views:	21
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	388797  
Old 03-24-2023, 11:40 PM   #9

Well, it appears to be the same issue. As I research it further, I now see the Workhorse recall number is in fact 51101-C and is dated September 1, 2010. It appears to have stemmed from the NHTSA campaign #09V186000.

NHTSA number 09V186000 appears to be a Winnebago -specific recall number. The Workhorse number is 51101-C and is a blanket recall for all Workhorse chassis that are included in that particular campaign.

Yes, please pay attention to what edgray is saying as he is an expert and much more knowledgeable than I on all subjects. I have a very limited knowledge pertaining to these recalls as I've never owned any vehicle on a Workhorse chassis. I pay attention to a myriad of motorhome issues but am not an expert at any. I just have an interest and curiosity in a variety of things related to motorhomes so keep a lot of documents in my files just for reference.

Here are the documents issued by Workhorse related to the brake caliper issue that I searched for in my files:
Old 03-25-2023, 07:14 AM   #10

Thanks for your kind words about me, but please know that any “expertise” I may have is the result of years of involvement here on iRV2 in the Workhorse chassis forum AND having limited access to the data stored in the Workhorse warranty database, which allows me to download specific “build sheets” to help owners understand exactly what they have under their coach. Ed
Old 03-25-2023, 05:21 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies my last 8 of the vin # is 73420683
Old 03-25-2023, 06:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabfd32 View Post
Thanks for the replies my last 8 of the vin # is 73420683
That is a 2007 W-20 (GVWR=20,700 lbs) . It had only 1 recall, namely 51101-C to replace all 4 OE Bosch brake calipers. WCC issued it in September 2010 and yours was completed on 9-13-2018 @ 28,396 miles. The other good news is that the recall is the only service event listed in the warranty-paid repairs database.

IF you want the "build sheet", send me an email so I can attach it to a reply. It won't display correctly here in the forum. edgray1@gmail.com

Safe travels,Ed

Tags
2007, winnebago, brake, recall