Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
A delete requires reprogramming the computer.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #16

Take it to a shop. We can't diagnose it here there are to many variables. i've had DPF filters baked and they worked and some didn't. Could be a sensor issue. If the sensors don't jive it could do many things. I've been doing this a long time and it sounds like a filter but something else could cause the excessive buildup and ruin a new filter. That's a lot of coin spent
choose wisely
Boss146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:30 AM   #17

Triple E Owners Club
DPF

With my older Duramax removing the DPF was not an issue, but it did require a tuner. I would think that Cummins would have this as well. It may not be legal in some states that would run a smog test to renew license tags, but this could get rid of a lot of problems with DPF's.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:37 PM   #18

I was fighting non-stop DPF Regen's on a 2008 Cummins ISL 425hp Non-DEF Engine. I bought a Launch Brand HD Scanner and was able to perform the Stationary Regen (which worked) and next trip it started another Regen while driving after 10-25 miles down the road. Needless to say this was upsetting as I thought my DPF was either getting clogged, needing replaced or there was something wrong with the DPF system.

After some research and speaking with a company that cleans DPF's I discovered some tablets that you can put in the fuel tank and another Cummins owners testified that without these he has constant Regen cycles. I decided to try it out.

It actually started to work. I had one regen while driving and then the lights all went out and I haven't seen a regen since! It's a Christmas miracle!

Now after this I also found my fuel mileage was improving. A nice side benefit. And apparently with Diesels that use DEF fluid it also causes you to use less DEF fluid according to other testimonials. Another savings if you use DEF fluid.

I figured I would just have to add this to my cost of operations. But the cost of these tablets are out of this world IMHO. So I started researching either where I can buy these wholesale, direct or find an alternative.

Through my research I learned who manufactured these and found they make many variations for this product and even liquid forms. I then started to search other manufacturers offering similar products.

Then I came across Pittsburgh Power Max Mileage Fuel Borne Catalyst (liquid). This is what the truckers are using and you can buy direct from Pittsburgh Power or from Truck Stops. Also they sell it in Half and Full Gallons, which treats 1,600 to 3,200 gallons of Diesel Fuel. Huge cost difference from the tablets.

So I bought the 1/2 Gallon to try it out. I'm happy to report same results as with the tablets. The only difference is I have to carry specific gloves that is impervious to this chemical, a funnel and a way to measure out doses (various solutions available on the Pittsburgh Power website).

Here is a link to those tablets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the link to the 1/2 Gallon from Pittsburgh Power: https://pittsburghpower.com/products...yst-1-2-gallon
Here is the link to the Full Gallon form Pittsburgh Power: https://pittsburghpower.com/products...borne-catalyst

I am not affiliated with any of these companies, this has just been my experience with these products.

The science of this from my research boils down to this. This catalyst helps break down the carbon deposits at a lower temperature than regular untreated Diesel. So it's helping to clean and keep clean the combustion chamber, exhaust and most importantly the DPF Filter without having to go in to a Regen Mode/Cycle.

Because of this you use less fuel and apparently gain power which translates into win, win, win for you and your Diesel Engine. I read also that the quality of Diesel Fuels has dropped and this compounds issues that this catalyst can remedy.

I say try it for yourself and see what it does for you.

Good luck!
gjames50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:52 PM   #19

If you didn't spot it ...scroll down there's large syringe and squeeze measuring bottle like Stabil comes in .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, diesel