Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008MDY View Post
Update!
Freightliner finished installing the new alternator last night around 8pm.
Freightliner said started, ran it, battery voltage where it needed to be 14.6.
Went to pick up the coach this morning... won't start. Dash display low battery. So they had to jump start, which worked, now we are waiting for them to re diagnose if needed.
QUESTION....
Should the coach have been plugged in to shore power? Once we do get the coach home... does it need to be plugged in to shore power? (Coach will be stored indoors in a heated building).
The dealer said we can go from 50-30 down to 110 just to keep the chassis batteries charged.
Thanks group!
Nicole
🙂

If the coach had been plugged into shore power and your BIRD system was working properly then the chassis batteries would have been charged. But, with new chassis batteries, there is some large drain present which is not usual. It is possible that due to the work on the alternator, these batteries haven't been adequately charged.

Since you have inside storage, maintaining shore power to the coach would be a good thing. If this is your building, having a 50 amp outlet wired up so your have full coach systems available would be great. It is true that to maintain battery charging function, you can do that with a simple residential 20 amp circuit. You would have to be careful to have most everything else off and the Inverter/charger set low enough for the available current.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #30

Ha! I totally impressed the Freightliner guy when I mentioned the BIRD! Tee he!
After test driving the coach the battery meter went up. Resting now it's steady at 13.6!
I notice the headlights in the daylight seem brighter. We have a 5 hour drive home and eager to see if she remains charged.
All of you! Especially Steve.. thank you!!!!!
There should be a "viral tip jar" on here.
If you see our coach at a rally please
say hi so I can buy ya a cup o coffee!
😘😘😘😘
Love you all... and I hope this thread will help someone else in the future.
❤️Nicole
2008MDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:16 AM   #31

Last update!
Moral of this escapade. We have learned when you take a rig of this size in for service, document the outside before and after you pick it up.
Once on the road (I was driving behind my husband who was driving the coach) I noticed the driver side front slide out awning was low and flapping. We pulled over to discover large scratches all along the awning and the end cap nearly ripped off.
We bungie corded the end to keep it somewhat secure.
Hate to see this estimate now!
😕
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1485609316.015143.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	150227Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1485609343.778075.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	150228
2008MDY is offline   Reply With Quote