Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
‘09 ISL 425hp. DPF. No problems at all in 40k miles. It regenerates about every 5000 miles. Only small downside to DPF is you should keep driving at highway speeds for 20-30 minutes once the regen. cycle begins, to enable a complete clean. Funny thing is it always seems choose to regen right before we decide to stop for the day!
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Although I have never had a problem with the DPF system, I am one of those unlucky campers who had DEF problems. On our 2011 Winnebago Journey Express (340 hp Cummins on Freightliner XC chassis), we had a CEL diagnosed as DEF related. Managed to get to a Freightliner service center before it derated, and they replaced the DEF dosing pump at a cost of $1500. On leaving the parking lot, the CEL came back on. After several days of diagnostics and consultation with Cummings, they ended up replacing the entire DEF harness (among other software and firmware updates), for an additional $2500. So, I had a $4000 DEF problem at around 45000 miles in May of 2018. I have since put on another 15k miles with no further issues.

On talking to service managers, they indicated Cummings had "some problems" with early versions of the DEF systems. While the requirement for DEF applied to engines manufactured after 2010, I have heard of some 2011 coach models without DEF because the coaches were manufactured with 2010 engines and chassis'. So, in my case, looks like I had the first generation of the DEF system, and improvements were apparently made in the years since.

Although it really sucked to have to cough up $4k, and I didn't really have any choice, I still think having engines with DPF and DEF is a big positive. It is really nice to not have to smell all the pollutants in conventional diesel exhausts (and the immediate headache it produces), and it is better for our environment and those around us. My personal opinion is that chasing older coaches down just to avoid emission control systems has diminishing returns - there are a lot more things to go wrong - and possibly much larger expenses than DEF - for coaches 10 to 15 years old.

JMHO of course, good luck whichever way you end up going.
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:25 AM   #17

Well I lucked out on my 2009 Safari Cheetah. I thought I had a DPF on my Cat C7. Turns out the engine is a 2006 model so all I have is the EGR. I was so happy when I found that out, I thought I won the lottery.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:34 AM   #18

New to us 2008 425 ISL, we've got 22,000 miles behind us total mileage is 74850.

No issues whatsoever with the emissions.

We've never had a regen that I can tell.

I do not let it idle other than the initial 5-8 minute air up and that is at high idle using the cruise buttons soon as I see the coolant temp begin to rise on the LBCU

Whenever we stop for whatever length of time, I shut it off, allowing for at least a 5 minute "cool down" for the turbo if we've been on the interstate

Pretty much treat the ISL as I would a gas engine
RichnSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #19

How do you know if the engine has had a regen and this many issues

We have had several issues with exhaust system on 2009 Newmar ventanna with a cummins ISB 350.

Towed in 3 times

1st tow sept 2015 --- Lost all power -- code resulted in new DPF Filter and install a new Differntial Pressue sensor (stuck on zero and not reading) 45963 miles

2nd Tow ---- 10/5/2020- Engine cranked and ran for couple minutes then displayed stop engine and shut down on it's own.
----- diagnosed codes showed EGR Valve bad, EGR differntial presure
sensor bad (this was 2nd pressue sensor, first one places was 1 of 2
sensors.
----- after replacing sensors and doing a parked regen, diagnostics then
indicated Outlet temp sesnor reading was out of range, They
replaced DPF outlet temp sensor and completed anothe regen.
70115 miles

all was supposedly fine, we drove it back (30 miles to our storage no issues)

3rd tow- Went to prep for trip and same issue occurred Display stop engine
shut down. Clark Power tech ran diagnostics and got the codes of
3241-0 and 3245-0. Not sure of his message but he said it had to
"Dock Inlet/tail giving erradic reading. He indicated this was
probably a wiring harness issue.
70115 miles

Question: Has anyone else had this number of issues with exhaust sytem and how can i tell if it's doing auto regens?

Any ideas greatly appreciated. Sorry for long message and thanks for Good Sams tow insurance.
apgob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:02 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I own a 2008 ISB. We had the EGR pressure sensor code at 38K miles. I removed the sensor and cleaned all the ports and veins leading to the sensor. They were totally plugged with carbon. Put the old sensor back on and the code went away. All has been well since (fingers crossed). Hopefully your mechanic knew to do this instead of just throwing parts at it?

Oh, and look in the owners manual, you should have a dash light indicating a regen. I have never seen our rig do a regen however.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:36 AM   #21

We have a 2013 Dutch Star with 450 Cummins. 60,000 miles with no issues.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post

Negative, DEF was not required nor used until 2010 when SCR was added to DPF and DOC aftertreatment systems. Cummins used it on engines that it required to meet emmisions standards of that tier

and please do post some evidence of these other diesel engine maker using it before 2010.

I mean hell 3 years prior was 2007, when DPF and EGR was required, prior to that no aftertreatment but EGR since 2004.

I don't know the dates, but Ram used def in their commercial chassis cab models before introducing DEF into the pick up truck models..

I have to admit, I don't know the reasoning or the motivations... just that it was first in the commercial chassis trucks...

I had a 2008 Ram Cummins with just the DPF and a 2014 RAM Cummins with DEF/SCR/DPF... The 2014 Cummins ran better and got better MPG...

OP...

If you buy a diesel with DPF only, they will need more maintenance and they had more issues. The reason was they used mostly EGR to reduce the NOX levels in the exhaust prior to using DEF...

The EGR basically introduces exhaust soot into the intake of the engine. It can/will plug after coolers, intakes and can cause other problems as mileage grows..

When they started using DEF, it cut way back on the amount of EGR used, which cleaned things up a bunch..

There are always going to be emissions systems' repairs, maintenance, and problems... but the problems and certain maintenance items were severely reduced when they started using DEF, and less EGR in the systems...

Obviously, any pre-emissions diesel can run better, longer, and with less maintenance, albeit dirtier, than those with emissions systems...
Old 10-21-2020, 08:40 AM   #23

Like he said
Some engines were carried over into couple later years

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
Well I lucked out on my 2009 Safari Cheetah. I thought I had a DPF on my Cat C7. Turns out the engine is a 2006 model so all I have is the EGR. I was so happy when I found that out, I thought I won the lottery.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel