Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
2009-2013 diesel question

Those of you with 09-13 diesel pushers, I would like to know if you have had emissions repair issues.
I currently have a Cat in our 2002 coach that has been trouble free for 3yrs and 20k miles. I am considering moving to a 42-45’ coach. I had friends with trucking companies that had a lot of trouble with the 09-13 big truck DPF systems. I have liked a couple of rigs around 2012 vintage but was trying to stay 05-08 to avoid problems.
I would prefer folks that have logged some decent time and miles for a real answer and avoid speculation.
Thank in advance!
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2020, 02:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOZE TRAVEL View Post
Those of you with 09-13 diesel pushers, I would like to know if you have had emissions repair issues.
I currently have a Cat in our 2002 coach that has been trouble free for 3yrs and 20k miles. I am considering moving to a 42-45’ coach. I had friends with trucking companies that had a lot of trouble with the 09-13 big truck DPF systems. I have liked a couple of rigs around 2012 vintage but was trying to stay 05-08 to avoid problems.
I would prefer folks that have logged some decent time and miles for a real answer and avoid speculation.
Thank in advance!
Your friends are correct lots of problems with DPF systems in commercial trucks. I have seen too many problems with commercial DPF systems. I would look for good older unit without DPF systems
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #3

I too moved from a 04 Cat.. have a new to me Cummins 380 Isc in a 2012... not many miles on this one, Cummins has a recall on some of the emission exhaust converters....What I have picked up,,,don’t let them Idle , high idle is ok, run them hard, coolant changes, oil changes , fuel,filters. Use the exhaust brake [built into turbo] use fresh def fluid, keep def fluid out of direct sun.

As time goes by the new ones will be old, and more information will be available for self repair.

Good luck with your decisions
Old 01-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe 08 was the first year for DPF. At least on our unit with the Cummins ISB. We've logged over 3,000 miles without any DPF related issues. The coach had 34,000mi when we bought it. Have never even saw a "regen" cycle. I believe MHs have had less problems then big trucks because they are always running "loaded" and working the motors hard to help burn out the particulate. It also helps that the DPF is very close to the hot exhaust exiting the turbo in a DP.

We did however have a CEL related to the EGR. Found the code in Freightliners info screen, googled it and discovered our EGR sensor ports were plugged with carbon. This will happen more often on an "emissions" DP if you let them idle too much. And yes, always leave the exhaust brake on if you have a variable vein turbo.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We had a Journey 2011,,40L with 8.3 360 HP Cummins for 7 trouble free years and 75,000 miles. It did not have DEF.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #6

I have a 2013 Allegro Bus with the 450 ISL Cummins. Had it since new and just turned 65,000 miles. Last fall was our first and only DEF issue. I had to replace a $450 sensor with a circuit board. When it went bad, it limited my power to 75%. We just drove back 65 miles to our service shop where they replaced it in 30 minutes. We get about 400 miles per gallon of DEF. It's hardly any bother with a 13 gallon tank. At about 4,000 miles I start looking for some.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:29 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2013 ISC8.3 rated at 380hp. I now have 36,000 miles on. At about 23,000 I had a cel that indicated a def related problem. After getting back from a long trip and a slight engine derate I got it fixed at Gaffney. A $900 def heater I believe and $150 labor no more def related problems. Almost all extended service plans exclude exhaust components from coverage including the def system. Sort of the cost of breathing cleaner air and no desiel exhaust smell. It’s worth it but I hope I don’t have to fix it again for a long time.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:45 AM   #8

We had a 2011 (no DEF) and now a 2018 Cummins. Had no problems with either, but the fuel economy is noticeably better in the later engines after Cummins woke up and incorporated DEF into their emissions system.

No matter the fuel type, the early years of incorporating new engine technology create an opportunity for lower efficiency and / or reliability. The DPF in the early years was one of those events.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
. after Cummins woke up and incorporated DEF into their emissions system.

you think thats what happened? they woke up to the idea, as if it had been used for years prior.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:54 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the insight. I know things got significantly better around 2014 but questioned the in between years.
Good info is appreciated!
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
you think thats what happened? they woke up to the idea, as if it had been used for years prior.
It was used years prior by other Diesel engine makers. Cummins used their lack of DEF use as a marketing point for a while.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
It was used years prior by other Diesel engine makers. Cummins used their lack of DEF use as a marketing point for a while.
Negative, DEF was not required nor used until 2010 when SCR was added to DPF and DOC aftertreatment systems. Cummins used it on engines that it required to meet emmisions standards of that tier

and please do post some evidence of these other diesel engine maker using it before 2010.

I mean hell 3 years prior was 2007, when DPF and EGR was required, prior to that no aftertreatment but EGR since 2004.

also dont confuse the 6BT engine in motorhome use and light truck use. It didnt need SCR and DEF untill 2013 emmisions tier requirements.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:52 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
2014 Cummins 450ISL.

I can confirm no low rpm idling per Cummins service center. Use cruise control to bump idle up while warming up.

21k miles. No issues.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:21 AM   #14

'09, no DEF just DPF on Cummins ISL 8.9 425hp. I had an exhaust temp sensor bad in the DPF when I purchased it. Quick easy fix by myself, checked the code and checked the resistance of the sensor and ran to Cummins and swapped it out in 5 minutes. I've only had it for 15,000 miles, it has 54,000. The bus had all paperwork for repairs/service and there wasn't any in it for any emissions related items.

I saw one regeneration in the time I've owned it.

I'd say that seeing you have to go back so many years to get one without it, you could be running the chance of repairs and maintenance on a lot of things on the bus besides the emissions. While there were plenty issues early on I would hope most have been worked out. Sometimes you just have to buy the bus you like.

That said I would avoid certain engines with known major issues like wrist pins and dropping valves in cylinder 6 etc. I wouldn't lose sleep over the possibility of an emissions repair. But that just me.

Tags
diesel