Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry you don't like the truth!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Mr D I don't take issue with your comment, I take issue with the thought that this type of malfeasance could be written off as "Teething" problems. Some of these rigs come in at the value of a third world country and others less so, but still a bucket full of money. I just find it totally unacceptable that manufacturers can't get it right with every rig that goes out the door, there should be no teething, they build these dam things everyday and have for years. It's not brain surgery. Has Big Box retail driven down our expectations so low that when we buy something for a bucket full of money we still can't expect it not to fall apart as soon as it's driven off the lot? I have to say I've been very lucky and happy with my rig, but some of the stuff I read in here WRT quality issues just disgusts me.

Rant over, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
But what you take issue with is the truth.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
But what you take issue with is the truth.
What I take issue with has become the sad truth.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Mr. D....

As an extremely pleased owner of a 2008 Berkshire, I don't think you know what you're talking about.... Have you owned a Berkshire? Probably not or you would know that they are a great rig... Sure - you can get a bad one but that holds true for top end rigs as well... I have a friend that has a top of the line Foretravel and has had nothing but trouble with it.... Broken down three times.... BUT factory has taken care of it for him which is exactly what FR does as well...

Our rig has been a pleasure to own... We had a few small issues - transfer switch, broken cable on slide - but both issues handled perfectly by FR...

Have you been inside a Berkshire and checked one out?? If not, you might want to...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jponyboyace View Post
Purchased our new 12 36fws aprox 14 mo ago.....loved the rig...First drive home the drivers window rattled so bad ...it gave me a headach....batteries did ot hold charge....fws started hanging up after a leak was discovered in the refrig outer compartment that was not sealed properly.....put plates in lower fws,,,,water warped floor now they want to bring to indiana to replace the entire wall floor!!!!!...cable snapped placing hole in slide roof.... u have got to be kidding me....
Sorry for the troubles. My suggestion is, since the manufacturer is willing to make the needed repairs at the factory service center, I would take them up on the offer. I have used factory service at Monoco, Newmar, and Freightliner with great success and satisfaction.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #19

When we buy a new class a and didn't have any problems no one would go on this site and give there 2 cents. Good luck you will get it fixed and be a happy,happy,happy camper.
Ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Mr. D....

As an extremely pleased owner of a 2008 Berkshire, I don't think you know what you're talking about.... Have you owned a Berkshire? Probably not or you would know that they are a great rig... Sure - you can get a bad one but that holds true for top end rigs as well... I have a friend that has a top of the line Foretravel and has had nothing but trouble with it.... Broken down three times.... BUT factory has taken care of it for him which is exactly what FR does as well...

Our rig has been a pleasure to own... We had a few small issues - transfer switch, broken cable on slide - but both issues handled perfectly by FR...

Have you been inside a Berkshire and checked one out?? If not, you might want to...
Coming from a quality background having even one rig with this many issues is unacceptable. A company that takes quality seriously will have action plans in place to prevent these types of defects from getting out. Ether through in process testing or corrective actions to eliminate the chance for the defect to manufactured. A good steady process means you don't have some good some bad.
With that said a mh has all the systems of a vehicle and a home. An enormous amount of systems that have potential to fail. Putting checks in place in plant or at the supplier is invaluable. New technology or suppliers breed failures. Hopefully this is just a fluke and they produce mostly good quality mhs.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
the rig is a pure nightmare ...and to top off the fws is no longer being made due to DESIGN flaws,,a direct quote per forrest river.....but they want to replace my floor in the FWS and make it better......take it to indiana during the height of nj camping season and place another 2k miles on the rig.....teething problems???,,,....poor quality work.....seals not inspected ,windows rattle, batteries being drawn dead because of a bad...isolator.....mirrors damaged ...shades that don't .work....bad full wall slide per forrest river......out of the current 4200 miles ..I only used the rig 1k....the rest was running back and forth for repairs!!!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #22

Did you drive before paying for it? Did you have dealer operate all functions?
Buyers beware and do that before writing the check
anneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
the rig is a pure nightmare ...and to top off the fws is no longer being made due to DESIGN flaws,,a direct quote per forrest river.....but they want to replace my floor in the FWS and make it better......take it to indiana during the height of nj camping season and place another 2k miles on the rig.....teething problems???,,,horse ****....poor quality work.....seals not inspected ,windows rattle, batteries being drawn dead because of a bad...isolator.....mirrors damaged ...shades that don't .work....bad full wall slide per forrest river......out of the current 4200 miles ..I only used the rig 1k....the rest was running back and forth for repairs!!!!!
If they're willing to replace the wall and you don't want to take it back what is your solution to the situation? If you have one in mind did you let them know what it is?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
.take it to indiana during the height of nj camping season and place another 2k miles on the rig.....
Why do you have to take it to Indiana? If you bought it new, isn't warranty work covered where you bought it, or at another local-to-you Forest River dealership?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneb View Post
Did you drive before paying for it? Did you have dealer operate all functions?
Buyers beware and do that before writing the check
I was looking at berkshire last summer and never even got to the drive and operate stage. The construction was really bad and finish work was embarrassing. Couldnt imagine the parts that were covered up if thats what they considered sellable. I showed the caulking around the shower to the salesman ; he said they would take care of it , obviously low standards from the factory.
To the op ; take the hit and trade it, we did and couldnt be happier.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Why do you have to take it to Indiana? If you bought it new, isn't warranty work covered where you bought it, or at another local-to-you Forest River dealership?
Actually most arent equiped to replace an entire wall and do a decent job.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
the rig is a pure nightmare ...and to top off the fws is no longer being made due to DESIGN flaws,,a direct quote per forrest river.....but they want to replace my floor in the FWS and make it better......take it to indiana during the height of nj camping season and place another 2k miles on the rig.....teething problems???,,,....poor quality work.....seals not inspected ,windows rattle, batteries being drawn dead because of a bad...isolator.....mirrors damaged ...shades that don't .work....bad full wall slide per forrest river......out of the current 4200 miles ..I only used the rig 1k....the rest was running back and forth for repairs!!!!!
Sorry you have had to deal with so many issues; it must be a real disappointment to you. Hope all gets fixed to your satisfaction.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #28

It is just sad that the american workmanship has deteriorated to the point that we accept it as the norm. They throw these things together with little care and then say, oh well bring it back to us and we will fix what we should have built right in the first place. I would be very pissed if I spent the outrageous amount of money they charge for a new motorhome and then couldn't use it because of poor quality.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote