Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #1

2012 Thor Outlaw- noisy Dometic a/c

I have a new 2012 Thor Outlaw with 2 13500 btu Dometic air conditioners. The noise is overpowering. I cannot use the a/c when in the rv. I cannot carry on a conversation, talk on the phone, watch tv or sleep. The noise is unbearable. I'm sitting at the Thor factory in Elkhart Indiana now. They say nothing can be done. I have the quiet kits installed (who are they kidding?). I have had the rv taken to a couple other authorized repair centers, before I reluctantlly drove 600 miles to Elkhart. I have observed that the Coleman a/c units are quiet and would love to have them. Thor wants to charge me $1800 for the Colemans, no consideration for the Dometics, and the fact that I cannot use the a/c as it is. I already suffered several months of no use of the Outlaw d/t electrical problems; now finally resolved at the factory.

Anyone have some success in getting brand new units replaced with something satisfactory? I believe there is only a $400 difference in price in the 2 products. I'm full-time rv'er and work in 100+ degree outside air temps.
ljhumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
No experience with swapping out, but that's rediculous. I have 2 12500 Dometics and they are whisper quiet.

I would go to Radio Shack and get a decible meter. Grab the highest person you can and make him take you to 2-3 like units for a comparision.

You may also want to involve Dometic as I 'm sure they have db ratings on their units.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree! Involve Dometic although our experience with them was only resolved when the folks at Fleetwood and our dealer LaMesa RV intervened on our behalf. There has to be a solution. The decibel meter and comparison with other similar MH is a great starting point. Thor should help offset the expense with deep discounts a free install to solve this intolerable situation. Best of luck, keep us posted!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #4

On my ASLY 2000 the rear A/C was very noisy in all modes - fan or cooling. Found that mud wasps built an egg thing on the blades of the fan. Removed same and all is quiet.

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #5

What kind of noise?

Does it change with Dan speed?

Are all of the vanes still in the fans?

Simple troubleshooting needed to determine source, then repair
Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #6

Loud Dometic a/c's

Yes, simple troubleshooting. Has been to Thor service center as well as a few other authorized service centers. Loud, very loud. 85-90 decibels. Thor says that's just the way these particular (chinese-built) units are. Dometic says no one has complained. Ha-ha! I've seen plenty of complaints on the web. Brand new 2012 rv- have not been able to use a/c when occupying rv. Which means I did not have use of it for entire summer. Headed to Miami, likely can't occupy it there either.

Dometic has authorized Thor to replace with same piece of junk. Thor has told me that nothing will change. Obviously, they are in no hurry to do the like-for-like replacement, because I will continue to sit in their parking lot. kudos for Thor for fixing the electrical problems; at least I have a working radio now.
ljhumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like something interfering with the fans on the unit. Just a small inbalance creates a vibration that is amplified by the roof acting as a sounding board. Did you take the covers off and look at the compressors ? Do they have shipping hardware still attached that won't let them float in their mounts ? Their has to be a logical answer to your dilemma. Their are thousands of those units out there running everyday with happy campers soaking up the chilled air. Hope you get to the bottom of your problem. Good luck, Seeya on the road..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #8

Chinese?

Now not on phone easier to type...

Simple troubleshooting step one, listen to another one.
If you can visit a service center and locate ANY other mh with the same unit give it a listen, if same then it could be a bad design, if quiet then your "system" is suspect.

Contact Dometic directly and specifically ask for specification sheet for your exact model, be sure to request all specs, noise in all speeds, power etc.

Also ask for same spec on the Penguin models, that will give a good reference.

If made in China you may have the breeze-air model, or you MAY have a CLONE!

There is rumor of a company cloning the breeze-air units, look exactly like the Dometic but are loud and poor quality.

Since the unit is 2012 it is safe to assume you are in warranty.

Most states have additional protection, the line in the warranty document that states you "may have additional rights..." is important.

Most states have a rule that if an issue is reported while under warranty that the warranty is in place until it is fixed, period.

So if you make a report of noise on the last day of warranty the warranty stays valid until it is fixed, even if it takes YEARS!

If the noise is excessive and is above the spec sheet it must be fixed.

If excessive and not above a spec that may or may not be published you would need to relate to how it was sold, or compare to other units, you should be able to enforce warranty by simply stating that the noise of the unit you have is ecessive, and more than other similar units, it must be broken, they should be able to clearly show why it is normal to be this loud, or figure out why.

It is a very simple device, one motor with some blower units and one compressor.

Is it noisy on fan only, or is it noisy with the comptressor running, sounds like a very simple thing that could be corrected by using quality materials.

Last suggestion....UPGRADE!!!

Suggest to the dealer that since the unit was new, and the new unit had low quality units that they may never be able to fix, and given the warranty until repaired issue that you would be willing to pay the difference in price (retail to retail or cost ot cost, apples to apples) between what is installed in the unit and say some Penguin II heat pumps, do your homework to double check the actual difference, should be a few hundred each.

While you are at it upgrade to the 15K BTU units.

Tags
dometic, thor