Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2021, 04:02 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2013 Diesel wonít shut off

2013 HR Ambassador with 350 hp navistar diesel when I went to turn the key off, the engine kept running. All panel lights were off except for the illuminated transmission console which was lit indicating the transmission was in neutral. Motor would not shut off. Jiggled the ignition, nothing, crawled under the engine compartment looking for an emergency fuel cutoff, nothing, searched the internet for a diesel mechanic open on Memorial Day weekend, nothing, removed the air intake and closed off the incoming air to suffocate the engine , nothing. Drove into the area of town where diesel semi's and truck stops get serviced, all closed. So came back home with the intention of cutting the fuel line. But before I did, I did a final search on this forum and found a thread about a similar issue and noted that it only happened when he worked on his wipers. Hmmm, I reached over to turn the intermittent wiper knob and WALLAH, the engine turned off!! Now what in the world is going on! Why would a wiper switch interfere with ignition? How messed up is that! I am scheduling a visit to the factory in Decatur IN to get them to give this a look. Unless anyone else has ideas?
Big Bird 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Built by Fleetwood with an engine made by a company that made manure spreaders?
Old 05-29-2021, 05:47 PM   #3

When my bus did this it was a faulty relay. Even disconnecting battery leads wouldnít shut it down. Finally found the relay hidden in a wire bundle in the battery bay.
rssnape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:24 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Interesting story, thanks for sharing. I wonder if it would make sense to use a vice grip on the soft fuel line running in the rear of most homes- somewhere you can deprive the engine of fuel.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:30 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Fire engines have an emergency shutdown that immediately completely closes off the air intake. If you do this it will kill the engine. When you attempted to do it, some air must have still been getting in. Itís a pretty aggressive way to stop a diesel but it works.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:52 PM   #6

Two other instances that have been posted in the forums .

Defective diode in the alternator activation circuit ( Freightliner ) that allowed induced voltage from the alternator to power the engine ECM , after the key was shut off.
Internal power cross feed in a dash radio ; that allowed power from the memory ( battery ) circuit , into the , ignition feed ( radio on ) and back fed power , again to the engine ECM.

Scary when it happens , but not unheard of.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:38 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 79 View Post
2013 HR Ambassador with 350 hp navistar diesel when I went to turn the key off, the engine kept running. All panel lights were off except for the illuminated transmission console which was lit indicating the transmission was in neutral. Motor would not shut off. Jiggled the ignition, nothing, crawled under the engine compartment looking for an emergency fuel cutoff, nothing, searched the internet for a diesel mechanic open on Memorial Day weekend, nothing, removed the air intake and closed off the incoming air to suffocate the engine , nothing. Drove into the area of town where diesel semi's and truck stops get serviced, all closed. So came back home with the intention of cutting the fuel line. But before I did, I did a final search on this forum and found a thread about a similar issue and noted that it only happened when he worked on his wipers. Hmmm, I reached over to turn the intermittent wiper knob and WALLAH, the engine turned off!! Now what in the world is going on! Why would a wiper switch interfere with ignition? How messed up is that! I am scheduling a visit to the factory in Decatur IN to get them to give this a look. Unless anyone else has ideas?
So if it shuts off when you turn the wiper on, just turn the wiper on when you want to shut it off. Problem solved.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Two other instances that have been posted in the forums .

Defective diode in the alternator activation circuit ( Freightliner ) that allowed induced voltage from the alternator to power the engine ECM , after the key was shut off.
Internal power cross feed in a dash radio ; that allowed power from the memory ( battery ) circuit , into the , ignition feed ( radio on ) and back fed power , again to the engine ECM.

Scary when it happens , but not unheard of.
In “the old days” the fuel solenoid required voltage to stay open, and when you shut down, that cut voltage to the solenoid and the fuel was shut off - end of story. Now with an ECM running things, and the wonky “internal cross power” problem you described, it seems like theses rigs should have the fire service type emergency shut down I mentioned above. Gotta have some way to kill it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
So if it shuts off when you turn the wiper on, just turn the wiper on when you want to shut it off. Problem solved.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:16 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I made a sheet metal cover for the intake. No air will stop it. For fires too.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
In ďthe old daysĒ the fuel solenoid required voltage to stay open, and when you shut down, that cut voltage to the solenoid and the fuel was shut off - end of story. Now with an ECM running things, and the wonky ďinternal cross powerĒ problem you described, it seems like theses rigs should have the fire service type emergency shut down I mentioned above. Gotta have some way to kill it.

So ... just how is it that modern engines are actually shut down? Does the ECM still ultimately control a fuel solenoid? I mean, in the end, a diesel is a diesel ... if it had fuel and air, it will run, right?
Old 05-30-2021, 08:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Built by Fleetwood with an engine made by a company that made manure spreaders?
Glad to help you get that off your chest. Why not inform the whole community of your rv tastes. Iím sure everyone would appreciate it.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
😁 went out again this morning and the current was back feeding again. Turned the wiper knob and boom, power cut.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I made a sheet metal cover for the intake. No air will stop it. For fires too.
Thank you. I was surprised the plywood cover I cut to fit over the air intake didnít do the job.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:19 AM   #14

Iíve driven and operated machinery that worked both ways - energize to allow fuel, and energize to cut the fuel flow. Had a Cummins 270 hp that wouldnít shut off, but you could hinge the hood open (Ford L9000 tractor) and turn a little thumb screw, presumably with a needle valve inside, to stop the engine.

If you can find the fuel solenoid, it would be worthwhile to see if there is such a valve, or if you can pull the plug on the solenoid if it requires voltage to allow fuel flow.

The old Detroit Diesels had an emergency shutoff that was spring loaded and sometimes the trip mechanism was cable operated. It closed the intake air passage before the blower to kill the engine. I donít know if it was an option or standard, but I donít recall seeing one that didnít have it.

Tags
diesel