Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2015, 10:10 PM   #15

Thete could be lines inside the cabinet.

Someone here placed a screw around the front of theirs to add a bracket to keep door closed and hit a gas charged something and got a surprise.

Insist it be replaced and remind them that the warranty clock is stopped and you will not go away.

Also call a few places like camping world and lazy days and get general estimates for the work.

Next call a glass place to get estimaye for poping windshield and another one from someone to swap unit while windshield is out.

Contact manufacturer and provide the phone numbers and suggest they gey it scheduled yesterday...on their dime
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #16

I have just bought an 1987 Winnebago,Sunflyer with a 454 CID.- 8 cylinder. I am having trouble with my fridge. It works on AC and when it is plugged in to house plug, it also works on gas. As soon as the plug is removed the gas shuts off. I checked the house batteries and they were reading 12 V. When I try to run the fridge on gas alone nothing happens. I am replacing the continuous solenoid because I figure its pretty old and maybe it wasn't charging the batteries when plugged in. I don't know too much about this stuff as it's my first RV. There is another solenoid in series with the continuous solenoid which clicks when I play with the dual/momentary switch on the dash. It was made by NUVATEC. There three rocker switches on the dash- (AUXbattery-on-off)-(Battery Condition-main-aux) and battery mode-(dual-momentary). As I posted before, I can't get the genset to start but I bought 3 solar panels- 54w total which I hope is enough to charge the batteries for the fridge. My fist concern is to get the fridge working on gas alone as I will be traveling to places that have no power. You guys have been great in replying to me quickly and I want to thank you for your advise.
gypsyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
how the devil am I going to get it out?
Getting it out is easy, that's what sledgehammers and reciprocating saws are for! It's getting the new one in that will be the trick.

Just kidding, I don't recommend destroying the old fridge until the refrigerant has been reclaimed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyduo View Post
As soon as the plug is removed the gas shuts off.
It sounds like you have a DC voltage problem, and your battery voltage is not getting to the refrigerator. This is a significantly different problem than what is being discussed in this thread: you should really start a new topic for this, it will get much better visibility that way.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:55 AM   #18

The common advise is to get a soft copy of the manual and read it.

Review the troubleshooting pages and get started.

Sounds like the unit is fine but you have a power problem.

Confirm supply voltages at back of unit both in working and non working stages then determine why different.

Could be loose wire or blown fuse or silly switch someplace.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:57 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
That idea sunk faster than the Titanic. Coachmen said sorry, can't help. We don't have any refrigertors at all to replace yours. He said that they are going to have to attempt every possible repair because that unit was installed before the roof and walls (I figured as much). He said if it won't go out the door the next way is the windshield. If that breaks then I pay for it I bet. The door is 26 inches wide and the unit is 25 inches wide, just might make it. It also has 2 security bars on the top that are expoxied to it. Somehow those have to come off first then have to be reattached to the new unit. Last I heard Coachmen was going to talk to their distributor and the dealer was going to talk to the Whirlpool repair tech and Whirlpool themselves. That last conversation was over 3 hours ago. Haven't heard from anyone yet. I'm really doubting that any camping is going to happen any time soon.

Most manufacturers have a counter top model which is 24 inches deep without the doors make sure that you remove the original doors on the new fridge before trying to get it through your 26 inch entry door you should not have any problem getting it in

One of the things I found out is that whirlpool and Maytag don't make the most space efficient refrigerators I upgraded mine to a new four-door Samsung and found an extra 5 ft.³ of storage spaceand exactly the same exterior cubic measurements. If you do get the manufacturer to pay to replace the fridge you might add on top of that to get a better unitwith more space
Old 05-27-2015, 04:36 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's the latest. Appliance tech was out yesterday. He put in a UV dryer assembly and recharged the system. No leaks. He thinks it was a bad solder connection on the original dryer. The unit was holding pressure and no leaks were seen. We put it back in the cabinet and put the doors on. I put the remote thermostat module in it. He said wait 10 hours and the temperature should be good. The thermomertor read 89 degrees when we closed up the fridge and this morning I was greeted with 88 degrees and the smell of freon.

I have determined that Coachmen is responsible for replacing this unit because they fully knew that they were putting the fridge in before walls and ceiling meaning that it can't come out without major work which an appliance company isn't willing to do. I never heard from Coachmen or the dealer yesterday. They will be hearing from me today. My wife insists that I keep dragging the appliance tech out here every day if necessary until it's fixed. I'm done trying to fix it, I want a new one. Maybe, as suggested, a different brand refrigerator. I have a feeling that there will be no camping this summer, maybe in the fall. Especially if it has to go back to the factory for service.

Fred
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:05 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the door opening is 26 inches and the fridge is 25 then you should have no trouble getting it out. Junk it and put in a new one.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #22

If you have not yet called your state office of consumer affairs do so now.

This is stupid to say the least and you should never be expected to put up with this.

You bought a package deal...
Old 05-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
If you have not yet called your state office of consumer affairs do so now.

This is stupid to say the least and you should never be expected to put up with this.

You bought a package deal...
That's exactly what I told Coachman when I called them today.

End result of a half a dozen phone calls is that we're headed back to the factory next week . The factory shop will put in a brand new refrigerator. How that is done is up to them. As long as the unit is watertight and all is working we'll be set.

Stay tuned.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
First, I would get out a legal pad and start noting every conversation with them, date, time, who you spoke to and outcome. Take this pad with you and have it in hand as you discuss the refer replacement. Make sure you're taking notes on the pad as you discuss situation. During that conversation, I would mention the loss of camping time and costs in fuel and time to get the refer repaired. Ask them how they will compensate you for the above. Most likely they will deny any assistance....at which time you note it on your legal pad.

Don't make threats about hiring attorneys because in this situation, no one would take your case, and you don't have enough loss. But....I would make mention, politely, that you will be seeking some remedy for the all the issues/costs not covered in small claims court.

If they don't provide any relief, follow through with small claims, cheap and easy to do. Neither Coachman or their representative, the dealer, will show and you'll win by default.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #25

Forget about lost use compensation.

But do seek out a manager to get "official warranty extension"...

Warranty clock stops the second you make it known a problem exists and does not start until fixed.

Determine how many days you were impacted and request the service work order or some document is provided to indicate new warranty dates for anything related to this work.

Next is work for you...

Since you are going to factory get your nit comb...

Inspect your coach real close and make note of anything that needs attention the factory should fix it while there.

While talking with management about how much trouble this has been suggest "good will" things they may be able to do to make it up...there may be something that could be upgraded or ????

You are at the factory so you never know what surprise may come up.

Be friendly and happy and focus any anger at the dealer and thankful to factory and see what happens...
Old 06-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
And here's the latest. Hang onto your hat and lunch because this going to sound like a roller coaster ride, which it was.

Got there late on Tuesday. Found the factory and the campground without any problems. Couldn't get the coach to level, had both ends off the ground. Ended up doing just the rear manually to make it livable in there for the night. Went to plug in and it's only 30 amps. . To make matters worse, I don't have an adapter . Can't run the generator, it's after 10 PM and it's close quarters with other rigs. McDonalds for supper and off to bed we went. Thankfully it was a cool night and no AC was needed.

Wednesday morning it was off to the repair shop. I have nothing but great things to say about these guys, especially Bob Jewell. He's the diamond of the shop. He's been there 32 years and has seen a lot. These guys are wizards with repairs and reconstructions. We talked about the refrigerator, the stairs and the latest issue. While driving to Indiana we heard a crash inside the coach. When we got there we found that the bathroom vanity light had come off the wall and landed on the mirror, hanging by the wire. The mirror did not break thankfully. He said they had to go the other plant to pick up the warranty replacement unit and they would get started. He said he would call us between 2 and 3 in the afternoon. We expected to be on the road home Wednesday.

Bob called about 2. He said the refrigerator they sent was bigger and they had to reconstruct the cabinet and extend it out into the hall about 3 inches . He wanted us to look at it before they continued and they wouldn't be able to finish that night. We went back to check the repairs. They had to take the slide window out to get the old one out and the new one in. The new refrigerator was huge. Old one was 18 cu ft, this one was 19.5 cu ft. They had done a beautiful job of extending the cabinet. What wasn't apparent is that the doors of the refrigerator will stick out beyond that 3 inch extension. Almost 5 inches into the hallway. Not one of us could figure out why it didn't fit like the old one. Coachmen put us up in a Bed and Breakfast for the night.

My wife and I kept going back and forth about the extended refrigerator. We didn't like, it blocked the hall to the bedroom and back bathroom. I went to bed and about 3AM I woke up thinking about the refrigerator. Why didn't it fit? Over and over for 3 hours. We didn't have internet access and I left my Jetpack at home. At 6 AM it dawned me. They sent the wrong refrigerator. . They sent a standard refrigerator. RV's need (for most of them) counter depth refrigerators. At 7 AM I started to make frantic phone calls to Bob and Mike (he's the tech working on the unit). I got them stopped and explained why it was wrong. I felt bad, they put a lot of hard work into reconstruction of the refrigerator opening. I told them that they can take the extension off, find any refrigerator that will fit and use matching trim to cover the screw holes from the extension. Well, Bob said no, he appreciated the offer but he is going to get a refrigerator, be it from Whirlpool, Home Depot or Lowes and then have the cabinet department rebuild the refrigerator cabinet to fit it. He said it has to leave his shop as if it left the assembly line.

So, the coach is staying in Indiana for at least a week. It already got the stairs installed, the refrigerator is the biggest issue. We added on the main door latching and unlatching. Turns out that was easy, it was missing 2 screws that align it in place and the strike plate was out of alignment. They are going to reattach the light fixture plus the mirror frame got scratched so the mirror is going to be replaced. Keep piling it on? Sure. He is going to reprogram the automatic leveling system and check the dash heat and AC controls. Finally, when it's all done they will do a Seal-tec to insure the window was reinstalled correctly and to check the firewall for air leaks. He said those air leaks are a big cause of poor dash air output. Finally they will take it over to the rain tank. Due to the leak I had up front he's is going to run it in the rain tank for an hour with the slides in and then another hour with the slides out. Bob said if it doesn't leak then, it isn't going to.

Coachmen has done an excellent job of taking care of the coach and us. My is at Whirlpool for sending the incorrect refrigerator. I have a contact at Whirlpool RV and Commercial vehicle division. He was the one who was supposed to be getting the replacement warranty refrigerator for Coachmen. I've called him twice and he hasn't returned my calls.

That's where we are, I'll keep you updated as things progress.

Fred
Old 06-05-2015, 10:27 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ok you said some of the things i was going to ask about. I know that sometimes you can take the side slide window out and get the refrigerator in and out that way.

5 inches into the hallway with the doors on means very tight quarters trying to get past it with the slides in.

Sounds like you are getting stuff fixed correctly.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:10 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
UPDATE

We finally got the coach back on 7-6-2015. It spent almost a month at the factory. Here is the end result:

They had to rebuild the refrigerator wall cabinets 3 times. They tried 3 refrigerators before settling on this one. All due to availability. This one is 20 cu feet. Has water and ice inside the refrigerator not on the door.

They did the Sealtec on the unit which resulted in them finding leaking mirrors. Those were removed and resealed.

Both back up lights were leaking, they were replaced.

The big slide had bad seals, they got replaced.

The steps got replaced

The technicians got locked in the unit and had to call for help. That resulted in the latch plate being redone.

An outlet needed a spacer so the cover would stay on.

Leveling system was reprogrammed.

Slides were relubed and adjusted

Did a rain test. Put in the rain tank for an hour to check for leaks, both with slides in and out.

Put new latches on all drawers, they fly open while driving.

One new AC grill, it came down on us, a latch broke so we put it back with velcro. They replaced it.

So, everything should be good at this point but it's not. Our Carefree of Colorado electric awning will go out but won't come back in. Have no idea what I'm going to do with that.

The AC in the front part of the coach is undersized. It's a 13,500 BTU and should be a 15,500 BTU. It runs non stop, not cooling that well. It does have a vent output temperature of 53.4 degrees, have to find out if that is good, so-so or bad.

Coachmen did an excellent job on the unit and taking care of us. I just hope that aside from these latest issues that the unit will be good to us.

Fred

Tags
fridge