Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #1

2014 Thor A.C.E. question/help

I have been doing my research on the first MH that we want to buy and we are between the FR3 and the Thor ACE. One question I have to any ACE owners…Does it have a radio system? I haven't seen any pics of a radio as I have on the FR3. I have seen the outside tv as an option and there are speakers there…is that hooked up to the radio somewhere? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, any insight as to positives and negatives of anyone owning one of the two models. We are comparing the ACE 29.2/30.1 with the FR3 30DS.

Thanks to all.
jtseltmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
It shows it as being standard equipment New ACE Class A Motorhomes | Class A RV Features
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:33 AM   #3

True I see the radio/touchscreen listed under the cockpit/auto section but this is for the front of the rv…is this the same one used for the back of the coach? ALl the others i've seen have a separate unit in the mid section of the coach for entertainment. I read the entire list of features but was hoping an owner would chime in and help me understand. Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are looking at the FR3 & ACE take a look at the Coachmen Pursuit, part of Forest River. Liked the trim around the frt. power bunk and things better. Around the same price range. Lighter colors made it feel bigger. 18,000 lb chassis in place of 16,000 lb chassis.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #5

Saw the Pursuit this weekend at RV Show by far better then the ACE
In my opinion

2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31 BDP
waynesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #6

Checked out a lot of coaches at the Tampa show. We were the least impressed with the ACE line.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We have the 2014 ACE 30.1. We've had it since June 1, and spent over 60 nights camping in it before we put it up for the winter. The radio is up front, and has cabin speakers for the salon area. There is one TV midship and one in the bedroom. There are no outdoor speakers on ours, and we didn't get the outdoor TV.

The audio/entertainment system isn't great, honestly. We had a better sound/speaker system in our 2011 Keystone Bullet. It's not a big issue for us - we'd rather be outdoors, surfing the net, reading, beading, quilting, playing cards or dominoes or just having fun around the campfire. But, if it's a big deal for you, Crutchfield sells good aftermarket audio systems. There is an audio system remote available - I think it's like $30 - ordering information is in the operating manual.

PM me if you'd like more information - we love our ACE and we're happy to talk about it, and I'll be happy to tell you what we paid for it.
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #8

Thank you virginiamtns for that great info…I appreciate everyone's feedback but truly my question was about the radio etc. So the head unit in the cab controls the radio through the coach? It doesn't have to crank up just enough to listen and enjoy.

How are you satisfied with the changes and fixes in the 2014 ACE? I've done my reading and it seems you can find anyone to say they love any coach! It is funny that there are things I like about both that the other doesn't have. ACE has center table up front and night tables by bed, better shower setup i think and the FR has the better headlights, nicer couch but for a price hike. I get what I'm paying for too…an entry level Class A/C hybrid. I'm not expecting the world but surely this is a HUGE step up from our TT.

The storage in the 30.1 is much smaller than the 29.2…i'm curious if anyone can tell me why?

Also for those that commented that they like the Coachman more…why? I know it takes time but I'm not looking for just an "i like this" but really the why. You folks are my test market! I'm pretty sure we'll love whatever we get…there is so much in both of these for a great value.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #9

The pursuit has TPO roof,18,000 chassis, tv over door better location, better trim, better overhead bunk, double sink, porcelain toilet, walk around king bed, bigger tv in bedroom, real door between bedroom and front.
This is just I few that come to mind but you should look for yourself.
They started making the 27KB in December so there are not a lot of them out there.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Our ACE has a fiberglass roof, 18,000lb chassis, TV mid ship opposite the couch, a great overhead bunk, a porcelain toilet, two doors between the bedroom and salon, a dvd player in the bedroom, a large shower and great upholstery and flooring. I think each coach out there has plusses and minuses, so it comes down to cost/value/preferences. For our money, we picked the right coach, and we still love it after our first season of camping. Your mileage WILL vary!

See you out on the road, where we can admire each other's coaches and dream about the trips to come.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtseltmann View Post
Thank you virginiamtns for that great info…I appreciate everyone's feedback but truly my question was about the radio etc. So the head unit in the cab controls the radio through the coach? It doesn't have to crank up just enough to listen and enjoy.

How are you satisfied with the changes and fixes in the 2014 ACE? I've done my reading and it seems you can find anyone to say they love any coach! It is funny that there are things I like about both that the other doesn't have. ACE has center table up front and night tables by bed, better shower setup i think and the FR has the better headlights, nicer couch but for a price hike. I get what I'm paying for too…an entry level Class A/C hybrid. I'm not expecting the world but surely this is a HUGE step up from our TT.

The storage in the 30.1 is much smaller than the 29.2…i'm curious if anyone can tell me why?

Also for those that commented that they like the Coachman more…why? I know it takes time but I'm not looking for just an "i like this" but really the why. You folks are my test market! I'm pretty sure we'll love whatever we get…there is so much in both of these for a great value.
We like the table between the chairs and the night tables, too. DW has a cpap, so night tables are a necessity. The ACE has some really neat, well-thought out features like the mudroom and in-stair storage. I keep all my tools in the top stair and the dog leashes and poop bags in the bottom stair.

The storage is less in the 30.1 because there's not pass-through. However, we found we have plenty of on-board storage, and having all the utilities grouped together at the back of the street side is convenient.

We are replacing the couch with a recliner love seat - we don't need the bed and like recliners. Lazy Boy and others make a love seat that fits.

The radio - we have an iHome that we put on the counter or dinette table and play our iPods/iPhones. Pandora works great!

We know that people have not had the same experience we've had, but that's true of every brand and every model. All I can speak to is our experience and our coach. If you live near me, you can come visit and we'll share a cup of coffee and talk RVs.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:37 AM   #12

Your right all coaches have their + & - I'm glad you are happy with the ACE. Enjoy

Old 01-29-2014, 04:55 AM   #13

Again, thanks all for the feedback. I love the honesty and openness. It is refreshing in today's world. I've done so much reading and looking that my head hurts! The items we are debating seem so subtle and small but you have to think of everything when making this kind of purchase right?

Has anyone seen the bunks / 30.2? I know this is very new but curious to the reactions. Probably has more beds than we need but interesting.

There is an RV show in Feb, Greensboro NC which is the soonest/closest for us…so I can't wait to hit Camping World and the show to browse more!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamtns View Post

We know that people have not had the same experience we've had, but that's true of every brand and every model. All I can speak to is our experience and our coach. If you live near me, you can come visit and we'll share a cup of coffee and talk RVs.
That is so true and thanks for the offer! We've met the nicest people while in our first year of camping…it's a great community. Can't wait to upgrade to a drivable so we can see more of this great country!

Tags
thor