Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2019, 11:27 PM   #1

Exclamation 2015 F53 T-handle Hubcap Removal Tool?

My wife and I recently bought a 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 35B, which has a 2015 F53 chassis. We use our RV's a lot (4-6mo+/yr), and because of that I'm usually prepared to handle a flat or a chassis failure of any kind while on the road to keep us going. We recently went to Alaska in our last RV, and many of you may know that you're sometimes 3h+ in either direction just for cell service, let alone a wrecker or even a spare rare 235/80R22.5!

That stated, I have not been able to find the T-handle hubcap removal tool that was supposed to come with this vehicle. I have a 58:1 torque multiplier, as that's the only way I'll be able to remove the 450 ft-lbs of holding torque for those lugs under the hubcap, but I can't even get to them.

I've called several Ford dealerships and RV places around me in West-MI...none have a clue where I can get one, and most don't even know what I'm talking about. Winnebago even pointed me back to Ford, and they have awesome customer service from what I've experienced thus far.

Does anyone have a part number or know where I can get one of these T-handle hubcap removal tools online?

Thanks!
Tim
Kleingineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2019, 12:14 AM   #2

I've read many threads through the years saying that the T-handled wrenches are "cheap junk" and many find a socket of the appropriate size to use instead.

Take a look at this post over on the Winnie Owners forum --or actually, read through the thread-- which is one of many I've read where others have ditched the T-handle tool:

Tool to remove hubcap on 2007 Voyage - Winnebago Owners Online Community

And I've also read where others have often found that T-handled tool hidden somewhere under their bed. I guess you can take a look there before trying to purchase a replacement.

Here's a T-handle removal tool for $10 but I see that the socket is 1-1/8" where the post in the linked thread seems to suggest it is a 1-9/16"

1-1/8" Wheel Simulator T-Handle Wrench Tool
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #3
NXR

One of those T-handle things came with mine but I've looked at the tires and I see no evidence of a hubcap. But the lug nuts sure look more decorative than functional so I suspect it's really there. I just don't know how to tell.

Ray
Old 11-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #4

Skip the tool and get a breaker bar and a deep socket. The breaker bar should have the ability to be used at a 45 degree angle. They can be tight and will need some force.

Look for a lug hut with a small dimple on it; there will be two directly across from each other. Check then for tightness fairly often, too. If not a 10lb projectile could hurt someone.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
One of those T-handle things came with mine but I've looked at the tires and I see no evidence of a hubcap. But the lug nuts sure look more decorative than functional so I suspect it's really there. I just don't know how to tell.

Ray
The 19.5” wheel is dark or grey in color. If you have 19.5” wheels, the simulators will likely be chrome. If you have 22” rims they are likely aluminum and won’t have simulators. The two lug nuts that have dimples in them are the real ones. The dimple is a small depression that runs parallel to the wheel surface.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Tim! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new Vista! Sorry I can't help with the tool. Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #7

Just bring a 1 1/8 inch socket. The T tools are made of soft metal and will break fairly easily.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
The 19.5” wheel is dark or grey in color. If you have 19.5” wheels, the simulators will likely be chrome. If you have 22” rims they are likely aluminum and won’t have simulators. The two lug nuts that have dimples in them are the real ones. The dimple is a small depression that runs parallel to the wheel surface.
Thanks. They are 22.5" wheels and I thought they were fully aluminum. Maybe I got the tool by mistake.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Log nuts1.PNG
Views:	63
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	265869  
Old 11-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I've read many threads through the years saying that the T-handled wrenches are "cheap junk" and many find a socket of the appropriate size to use instead.

Take a look at this post over on the Winnie Owners forum --or actually, read through the thread-- which is one of many I've read where others have ditched the T-handle tool:

Tool to remove hubcap on 2007 Voyage - Winnebago Owners Online Community

And I've also read where others have often found that T-handled tool hidden somewhere under their bed. I guess you can take a look there before trying to purchase a replacement.

Here's a T-handle removal tool for $10 but I see that the socket is 1-1/8" where the post in the linked thread seems to suggest it is a 1-9/16"

1-1/8" Wheel Simulator T-Handle Wrench Tool
Thanks for the tips.

The problem I'm worried about running into is not that I can't find a 1 9/16" socket (40mm). The problem is that the clearance for those "fake" lugs is very tight, so a normal socket won't fit. I think this is why they give you that cheap T-handle. Plus, it comes with a rather large flat-head screwdriver inside the socket so you can get the screws off the true wheel lugs. Once they're off, then comes the fun part of using the torque multiplier to work the actual lugs off and remove the wheel.

Those fake lugs that hold the wheel cover or hubcap or whatever on shouldn't have that much torque on them. I'm surprised that anyone has completely ruined theirs. I've used them on my 19.5" wheels with my previous RV, no problems, but these 22.5" tires are using a lot bigger lugs.

I'll check under the bed, maybe they stashed it there as has been suggested.

Thanks again for the quick reply!
Old 11-05-2019, 12:38 AM   #10

Well, if you can't find an appropriate individual socket that would work, I did run across this tool that corresponds to a Winnebago part number. Check to see if you can find the Winnebago part number for the wrench. If it corresponds to:

Winnebago Industries part number 145580-01-703

Then it is a Dicor product and their tool is V22501-TOL

See this at Amazon and read the description: Dicor V22501-TOL Jam Nut Installation Tool

It says it fits 22.5" sets but a review was posted that it wouldn't fit and the guy who posted the review used one of those plier-type tools or specifically this one which he said "worked perfectly" and also it seems that others have made similar comments ...read the reviews. It's quite pricey though:

Ken-Tool 30606

However, if the Dicor product mentioned corresponds and can be cross-referenced to the Winnebago part number, you can buy the T-handle tool directly from Dicor for $10.50 instead of through Amazon for $25.45 + $5.45 shipping:

Dicor V22501-TOL Installation Tool
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:02 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
On my Vista, it was mounted on the back wall, way back, of a compartment below the water pump. Very hard to see if you didn't know it was there
Old 11-05-2019, 05:55 AM   #12

Harbor freight get long extension and socket
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #13

I checked under the bed and in all of the outside compartments for the T-handle...no luck. I searched inside in multiple additional places (drawers, kitchen, etc)...no luck. I also made a stop at Harbor Freight, what with their sales this past week, and still nothing that will really fit. I'll attach a picture when it stops snowing here in Michigan and I can get to the wheels to show my problem with a typical socket.
-Tim
Old 11-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #14

2015 F53 T-handle Hubcap Removal Tool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleingineer View Post
I checked under the bed and in all of the outside compartments for the T-handle...no luck. I searched inside in multiple additional places (drawers, kitchen, etc)...no luck. I also made a stop at Harbor Freight, what with their sales this past week, and still nothing that will really fit. I'll attach a picture when it stops snowing here in Michigan and I can get to the wheels to show my problem with a typical socket.
-Tim

I had the stainless simulators on both my Itasca with 19.5 wheels and my Adventurer with 22.5 wheels. The nuts that hold the simulators in place will come off easily with any standard socket. No need for the T handle tool.

That said, I put Alcoas on the Adventurer as soon as we picked it up. I have a T handled tool that is just wasting space. You are welcome to it, just tell me where to send it.

I just now touched it for the first time. Seems like the previous owner had to use it once. It appears to be just as flimsy as it looks.

PN V22501 TOL.

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	661.4 KB
ID:	266650

Attachment 1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	263.0 KB