Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #1

2015 Precept Chassis

Having ongoing issues with the "JRide' we took our 31ul which we have had since last August with continuing ride and handling issues to a Ford dealer and had them check out the chassis. Come to find out that the chassis is ''not" "specifically designed for each model' as Jayco represents. Learned that an additional chassis part was "welded" to the main chassis behind the back axle!! The length of this unit from the back axle on is set too far ahead to support the weight from the bedroom area! So this is why it rides so rough and swaying everywhere. The back end is much heavier than the front. Called my dealer today to state what was discovered, guess what, still waiting for a return call. The Ford chassis is build properly. It's the unmentioned "add ons' that Precept is not disclosing!! I have owned Class A RV's for over 12 years. Smack me for trading in my Itascca
What do have to say regarding this false advertising?
precept is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where do they say they design each chassis for a specific model? I am not saying they don't advertise that, but I could only find this;

"Jayco builds on custom-sized frames, designed specifically for each floorplan."

If this is the case, I don't see any false advertising.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am so sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

The first time I reviewed the Jayco motorhomes, I wondered if their short wheelbase/long rear coach overhangs would result in handling issues. One model I reviewed has a wheelbase to coach length ratio of only 48%! Unbelievable!

I don't think there is any solution to your problem other than to trade this one in on another brand.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Where do they say they design each chassis for a specific model? I am not saying they don't advertise that, but I could only find this;

"Jayco builds on custom-sized frames, designed specifically for each floorplan."

If this is the case, I don't see any false advertising.
Yep, Jayco just lengthens the standard Ford chassis, which can lead to handling problems if the rear is too heavy.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:59 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, you got a bad design but you will never get them to admit it. Every MFG does it, they all get the various length chassis and then add to them to suite their needs. All you can do is check online in forums such as this one to see if others have complained about the MH you are looking at buying. You can also take all the information that you read with a grain of salt and do your due diligence to Test drive, and check out every thing about the MH you are thinking about prior to actually buying it. Now all you can do is keep what you have or trade it in at a loss.
Sorry about the problems but yes you should have stuck with the Itasca you had or at least the brand.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:54 AM   #6

precept chassis replies

Brian, if you watch the video on Jayco's site it is explained very thoroughly. Who would know about welding an additional chassis on other than the Ford dealership that I took it to. I had a Jayco Melbourne and had no issues. Upgraded back for more room. It is false advertising when a product is portrayed one way and you learn later on that is has been altered without any mention to the potential buyer.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It is RV industry standard practice to extend an E-series Ford (or similar GM van) frame to put an RV body on it. The RV body is longer than a van body, so they need to extend it rearwards. They also add an overlay to support the floor, water tanks, etc. as needed for a given floor plan Those additions/modifications might be termed "specifically designed", though I'll grant that phrase implies a lot more "custom" design than really exists. You probably didn't know any of that, but I don't think that lack of knowledge makes it false advertising.

Some RV builders do the same with a gas chassis Class A, buyng a shorter wheelbase chassis and extending it.

If you bought a Class C coach from another manufacturer, it would still be modified in basically the same manner. The long rear overhand of the larger C's does indeed contribute to handling shortcomings, especially in crosswinds or passing large trucks. There may be ways to improve on the handling (stiffer anti-sway bars, for example), but it is never going to drive like a car.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by precept View Post
Brian, if you watch the video on Jayco's site it is explained very thoroughly. Who would know about welding an additional chassis on other than the Ford dealership that I took it to. I had a Jayco Melbourne and had no issues. Upgraded back for more room. It is false advertising when a product is portrayed one way and you learn later on that is has been altered without any mention to the potential buyer.

Will try to find the video. Please understand I am not belittling your situation, and I certainly understand they push these things to the limit, and maybe sometimes past the limit.

I Googled your coach and handling problems and did see where RV Consumer Group (or something like that) said it would not handle well due to the wheelbase to length ratio.

I hope you can find a solution to your problems.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #9

Seasoned RVr

We had two Itascca's before this. 35ft. and 38ft. Never an issue as we are having now. I feel Jayco should let the buyer know so they can make a decision based on quality of craftsmanship. We will lose $$, but we cannot enjoy any trips anymore Thanks for your responses. Let the games continue
Old 05-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #10

If you go on jayco's site go to the 2015 precept and see the 'construction' info. plain as day.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
The new 31UL is on the 228" wheel base chassis, I was just at the factory and was told this during our tour. We have a 35UN and have no issue with handling at all, in fact it handles very well.

Good luck!
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36UN.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	129552  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #12

Is this for a 2016 or 2017?
Old 06-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by precept View Post
Having ongoing issues with the "JRide' we took our 31ul which we have had since last August with continuing ride and handling issues to a Ford dealer and had them check out the chassis. Come to find out that the chassis is ''not" "specifically designed for each model' as Jayco represents. Learned that an additional chassis part was "welded" to the main chassis behind the back axle!! The length of this unit from the back axle on is set too far ahead to support the weight from the bedroom area! So this is why it rides so rough and swaying everywhere. The back end is much heavier than the front. Called my dealer today to state what was discovered, guess what, still waiting for a return call. The Ford chassis is build properly. It's the unmentioned "add ons' that Precept is not disclosing!! I have owned Class A RV's for over 12 years. Smack me for trading in my Itascca
What do have to say regarding this false advertising?
I had the same problem with my itasca ,...it was a class c .. sumo's fixed it for me.. mybe something to try...

what I have learned, unless everybody complains about it they don't do nothing...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis