Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #57

Thanks for the wisdom! I hope I’m never too old to learn! ...and, you’re welcome! It was a great 22 years on 8 great old ships with hundreds of great Coasties!
WhitSel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #58

Whitsel, We bought our Thor Quantum just over a year ago. We have not lost a minute of camping time due to anything, and have spent well over 150 nights in it since we bought it. The worst thing to happen has been a seal on a hydraulic leveler hose connection that was taken care of by LCI.
We did just get back from the Factory Service Center in Wakarusa for mostly cosmetic stuff and nothing really serious, plus they checked out other stuff.

Ours has almost been flawless. The fit and finish were great, and I saw more cosmetic issues in 5 minutes in a $350K coach at the same show. I do know that our was the first Quantum produced with the cabinets and TV in the overhead. 1300 was the prototype and ours is 1301 and when it was built, it was already destined for the RV Show where we bought it.

We took a tour of the Class DP plant and saw the work that goes into them and also saw the finishing bay where the final inspection is done and the changes that have been made to make it more thorough.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitSel View Post
Thanks for the wisdom! I hope I’m never too old to learn! ...and, you’re welcome! It was a great 22 years on 8 great old ships with hundreds of great Coasties!
Good for you
Me, 24 years and O-4 the hard way from prior enlisted, at COMDT, LANTAREA, PACAREA, D11, D13, D7, OPBAT, CGC Active, PSU311 and 307...too many great Coasties to count!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #60

Update

The dealership called me a few weeks back asking about my situation. I told them that I got the original part, but they would not cover paint or installation. "Why?" I asked. Turns out, they had another come in that week with a cracked rear end, AND had a new one ON THEIR LOT with a cracked rear end. This is not on me. Perhaps the supplier changed formula or thinned the mold. Who knows. All I know is that there are 3 of them within my sphere of contact that I know of.

When I called Thor about the latest crack, I got the same song and dance about it being out of warranty. The customer service guy went so far as to admit that the cold will cause the part to crack. His words, not mine. My response was that if they knew it would crack, why use that material? He said it was my fault for storing it in a cold environment.

This new cracked piece has many paint colors on it. I am afraid to guess on a paint job for a replacement piece, a piece that, according to Thor customer service, will crack again. Why are they using that material? Why not use something more durable?

If my TV breaks, or my fridge goes, I have options on where to buy, what to buy, how much to spend, etc. This part is ONLY available through Thor. Thor has admitted that the cold weather will cause it to crack. I have no options to shop it around, aside from fabricating a custom rear end on my 1 1/2 year old $120,000 vehicle, because the factory refuses to take responsibility for poor material use. I shouldn't have to spend this kind of money to address an issue that should have been addressed by the manufacturer. Or at the least, when they recognized there was an issue, take care of the problem and their customers without fighting every step of the way.

This whole experience has made me sick. What's supposed to be my escape from the stresses of daily life has become my biggest headache.
Noble6047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #61

I didn't intend to blame you, I should have been more clear.

My meaning was that I would attempt to clarify root cause before proceeding with repairs. Would be a shame to repair only to have the issue re appear.

Hope you get it solved so you can enjoy the coach rather than stress over it.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #62

No, I didn't read your message that way. I'm certain that it's not a larger 'body issue' since both of these cracks in the panels occurred while the vehicle was parked...for an extended period of time.

By the way, I'm not sure if I mentioned this in any of my previous messages, but apparently the top piece that Thor did send to me will be the THIRD part that will be installed there. Prior to my taking delivery of the vehicle last year, that part was already broken and needed replaced.

But yeah, nothing wrong on their end...
Old 03-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
3 units currently with cracks in a non-structural fascia...nearby the OP...one is a second time issue.
Didn't see anyone insinuated blame on the owner...maybe environment could be the issue...but not neglect or abuse.

BTW, TMC has their own plastics shop and only buys materials for these parts...in this case, ABS plastic sheet for vacuum formed bits.

Hope TMC comes through for these owners.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #64

I hate to say it, but it may be time to lawyer up, apparently there is an issue with these rear caps, I would not except new parts from Thor, I would want an cash settlement and put that towards having a fiberglass cap built, have you even looked into having a fiberglass cap built, you can have it done in stages since it is a 3 piece cap. Just because it is out of warranty does mean they don't have to cover it, as you have found out it will take some fighting, more than likely legal. The fist and only Thor product I bought was back in 2006, had nothing but trouble with it, the slide almost fell out of the trailer when my son was sitting in it (dining table), this is after having it adjusted and fixed 4 times in a month period, I was done, the best Thor said they would do is give me a cash settlement, I took it, fixed and reinforced the slide my self, used it for the remaining of the season, traded it in and never looked back. By the way it wasn't having an issue with the Thor camper that caused me not to purchase another one, it is the Thor service I had to deal with while the camper was still under warranty that caused me not to purchase Thor again. I understand stuff is going to have issues, but to what extent do you say enough is enough.

I learned a lot about campers that year, what to look for and test while doing the PDI.

Good luck to you in getting a resolution to this.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #65

If Thor doesn’t get a handle on this end cap problem there will be a class action suit. Your not the only one it’s there Outlaw having this issue.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:52 AM   #66

Here is my back cap. About to call Thor and see what can be done. Drove to Florida and back. Never backed it up once
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79803EEF-19C6-4E50-AB97-9D4956417DE4.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	195017   Click image for larger version

Name:	C8094E1D-53A2-4FDF-B9AC-D27DA746496A.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	195018  

Click image for larger version

Name:	C66E483F-98DD-4463-9C77-D0F3CB53B860.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	195019  
MXdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #67

Interested to hear their response to you. I had to fight for the first replacement part, and have been flat denied for the second. I asked to speak with a supervisor, and got sent into a voicemail. I left a message with all of my contact info...that was over a week ago, and I still have not heard back from them.

Interesting the location of the crack in yours is very similar. Keep an eye on those side pieces as well. They're likely to go too.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's time to start a writing campaign. Since this is not just one or three RV's...and 2015 to present model years.
Copy each letter, discuss the issue with facts, include that this is now becoming a more widespread issue...and send it to the factory customer service with tracking or certified (they know exactly what that means = you are serious).

Our rear caps have no issues like this and are over 10 years old...but they are all white material (and with no paint).
I would venture a guess there was a change in the material being used by the vacuum form shop.

For Nobel, what was the color of the top cap you were sent? Older units were all white, but went to a black ABS replacements about 5 years ago. That could be part of the issue (?)

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-12-2018, 10:57 PM   #69

Honestly haven't opened the massive box yet. Being a city dweller, I keep the RV in my brother in-law's warehouse lot, fenced and locked and about 45 min from my home. They delivered the part to my house, and given that my only vehicle is a 2 door Wrangler, getting it to the RV safely will be a challenge. I didn't want to compromise the integrity of the packaging until I had it in the RV garage at least, which, unfortunately will entail me driving the unit into the neighborhood streets of Mt Washington in downtown Pittsburgh just so I can transport the piece.

I was told that it is a black part, and being able to see the interior of the existing part, due to the crack, I know it's replacing a black part as well.

I continue to find it reprehensible the way I'm treated on the phone with customer service, as if the default assumption is that I'm somehow trying to get one past them. I've been civil to the point of exhaustion trying to get someone there to understand why this is an issue they should be (are) responsible for. And I'll continue to say it, hiding behind a warranty expiration for a materials defect is not a defense.

I've spoken with an old roommate who is now a partner in a legal firm downtown here in Pittsburgh. They will deal in these types of cases and are in the process of considering my case. Interestingly, I did discover that the company can be held for triple the actual damages. Don't know if that's in only certain circumstances, as I've only had one meeting so far. But at the end of the day, I would much rather have a positive relationship with Thor, and not have to continue down this path. It's just too difficult to deal with anyone in customer service anymore.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:44 AM   #70

Please update this thread when convenient. Interested it the net results and findings of your efforts and the potential for a multiple vehicle issue.

Tags
outlaw, thor