RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2018, 01:11 PM   #1

2016 Thor Upholstry

I am sure the material is used on a number of the Thor coaches, but mine is a Tuscany. The seating material, a leather like material, is not wearing well. The trim material has worn thru so it is all frayed and ugly. The seats are flaking and wearing thru. Has anyone else had this kind of experience?
Dollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 01:31 PM   #2

You probably got 'Ultra Leather' which is a vinyl product. And most of my RVing friends who own it have flaking. On some couches it's huge swaths of seats that are flaking, others, like my brother, have the drivers and passengers seats flaking. It seems fairly random with how bad it is, some have small areas of flaking, others large areas. One guy thought he found out that there were many thousands of yards of the stuff that was made wrong but couldn't get anyone interested a class action suit and he eventually gave it up and went quiet. There was a successful suit against Kane who manufactured lots of defective furniture but that wasn't RVs I don't think.

There's no cure that I know of, except to recover the seat. The dealer and manufacturer won't do anything for you unless it's under warranty. Maybe a trip to Mexico and find a leather shop would be fun?

Remember, anything called Ultra Leather, Leatherette, pleather, King Leather, and coverings with any word preceding 'leather' ARE ALL FAKE LEATHERS. The manufacturers claim longer life, but I've not seen that.

The RV manufacturer sometimes offers real leather as an option but they ONLY call it 'leather', no prefix or suffix in the marketing materials. After 84,000 miles I'm not showing any wear with my 'leather' seats at all.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #3

If you go the the Fleetwood Owners Thread there are plenty of posts of folks that have had the same problem including myself. In my case its the captains chairs up front that are the issue. The chairs were manufactured by flexsteel. Many of us contactacted flexsteel and were informed that they delivered what the manufacturer, fleetwood, spec'ed for their chairs. Then contacted fleetwood and they said it was not there fault but the seat manufacturer. Bottom line is we're all stuck. Your choice is buying new "skins" from manufacturer which as I recall run about $600 each and then install yourself or have someone do it for you. Find an upolstery shop in your area to do it or do a complete new reupolstery job or get seat covers and live with that solution. There is a great post by "Sarah W" in the fleetwood owners thread who took the time to buy new skins and do the installation themselves. They indicated that it wasn't hard but time consuming. It seems many of the mh manufacturers used this same stuff so don't feel alone.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollo View Post
I am sure the material is used on a number of the Thor coaches, but mine is a Tuscany. The seating material, a leather like material, is not wearing well. The trim material has worn thru so it is all frayed and ugly. The seats are flaking and wearing thru. Has anyone else had this kind of experience?
I have a 2015 Thor Axis with the exact same "Pleather" problem. The captain's chairs seem to be holding up well, but there is massive amounts of flaking and cracking on the sofa seat. I'm here at Lazy Days in Tampa, and just bought theater seating to replace the sofa (I always hated the sofa, very uncomfortable).Got an "end of the month" price that I am happy with, and they have a unit in stock. It will be installed Monday.

2015 Thor Axis 24.1 - looking for a Smart ForTwo Passion as runaround vehicle
MotokoLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
You probably got 'Ultra Leather' which is a vinyl product. And most of my RVing friends who own it have flaking. On some couches it's huge swaths of seats that are flaking, others, like my brother, have the drivers and passengers seats flaking. It seems fairly random with how bad it is, some have small areas of flaking, others large areas. One guy thought he found out that there were many thousands of yards of the stuff that was made wrong but couldn't get anyone interested a class action suit and he eventually gave it up and went quiet. There was a successful suit against Kane who manufactured lots of defective furniture but that wasn't RVs I don't think.

There's no cure that I know of, except to recover the seat. The dealer and manufacturer won't do anything for you unless it's under warranty. Maybe a trip to Mexico and find a leather shop would be fun?

Remember, anything called Ultra Leather, Leatherette, pleather, King Leather, and coverings with any word preceding 'leather' ARE ALL FAKE LEATHERS. The manufacturers claim longer life, but I've not seen that.

The RV manufacturer sometimes offers real leather as an option but they ONLY call it 'leather', no prefix or suffix in the marketing materials. After 84,000 miles I'm not showing any wear with my 'leather' seats at all.
I think you have things turned around. Ultraleather is a very high quality product and is the material of choice fo leather look furniture. The material you are referring to is most likely Austin which is a less expensive and much less durable material. Many mfrs use Austin in their coaches, Fleetwood among them. Looks good for a few years and then goes downhill quickly long after the warranty has expired.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When Thor, Newmar, Tiffin, Fleetwood and any other brand order their seats from Flexsteel or Villa, they specify the quality level of the Ultraleather fabric. I believe it was 2015 that Newmar used a lower level of Ultraleather on the Dutch Star Villa seats. The material went bad quickly. Newmar stepped up and replaced all the furniture coverings.

I would contact the Thor and see if they step up and repair or replace your fabric.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
I think you have things turned around. Ultraleather is a very high quality product and is the material of choice fo leather look furniture. The material you are referring to is most likely Austin which is a less expensive and much less durable material. Many mfrs use Austin in their coaches, Fleetwood among them. Looks good for a few years and then goes downhill quickly long after the warranty has expired.
This is correct. UltraLeather is a QUALITY product made in the USA. Our Bounder had the Chinese "Austin Halo" product that is a knock off of Ultra Leather.

Our replacement covers (purchased directly from FlexSteel) are Ultra Leather.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #8

I have same issue with couch arms and recliner. My question is what is the best route replace everything or have it re appolsterd I am keeping the coach and slowly making upgrades to go full time
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
This is correct. UltraLeather is a QUALITY product made in the USA. Our Bounder had the Chinese "Austin Halo" product that is a knock off of Ultra Leather.

Our replacement covers (purchased directly from FlexSteel) are Ultra Leather.

Ultra might last longer than other faux leathers but it's still known to flake and peel, sometimes early in it's life. My brothers Class C drivers and passengers seats are an example of this. They started peeling and splitting within 2 years of purchase.

Not saying it isn't a quality product compared to other faux leathers, just saying it's not leather. Which is known to last generations.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor