Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
WDW

2017 Gas cost

I'm thinking that the "expected" rise in gas cost by 25% this summer will cost me between $300 and $500. more in fuel operating cost this summer. Ouch!

I would also submit that kind of price increases will cool the Class A & C market sales and soften the used MH values.

I would rather be wrong.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
Decrepit Forum Advocate

As many have reflected each time this topic has come up on the forum through the years, fuel costs go up and they come down ...they fluctuate greatly when spread out over time. Those who choose this "lifestyle" know this before getting involved. Most of us do not let fuel prices limit our plans. RVing is a costly endeavor as we all know. Some of us spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on purchasing RVs. The fluctuation in fuel costs is what goes with the territory.

Anytime that I mention rising fuel costs to my RVing friends, they inevitably tell me that if I fuel costs are going to cause stress in my life, that I should sell the RV and stay home ...or as full-timers, limit the amount of miles put in.

A 25% increase in fuel isn't that horrendous. After all, we are experiencing some of the lowest fuel costs in recent years. Back in 2008, I'm sure you remember when diesel was significantly over $4.00/gallon and though I cringed filling my 100+ gallon tank on the DP, it still was just a minor annoyance of "doing business' as we enjoyed the RVing lifestyle.

RV sales people at the time told me that even though there may be a steep spike in fuel prices, it may slightly cool the market temporarily but if fuel prices remain steady for awhile, people always come back to purchasing RVs no matter what the price per gallon might be at the time.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #3

Hey theroc, that was very well considered and stated... You make some kind of New Years Resolution of something?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:28 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If the cost of fuel is a concern, maybe RV'ing isn't for you. Lol.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you may a bit conservative on the increase in Fuel costs in the near future... But that.. Is my opinion.. And, as it happens I have no wish to discuss further... Check back in a year and let me know if I'm right.. (Theory based upon history,, Generally works well)
Old 01-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #6

Forecasting future fuel prices is pretty much a fools errand isn't it? Plus as previously stated you do have options to not travel as much. More boondocking, spending travel nights at Walmart etc. it seems to me that RVer's have some pretty good options to save a few bucks.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
How I am forecasting things is to look at historical data for gasoline (or diesel) here U.S. Gasoline and Diesel Retail Prices

I arbitrarily chose a 5 year rolling average. Based on the most recent monthly average cost in the US, the average cost per month for Regular is $3.143 / gallon and Diesel is $3.465. If you look at the monthly data over that time frame, there are months where the average for Regular was $3.90 and Diesel was $4.70.

What the 5 year rolling average does is it tends to "dampen" out most of the fluctuations that short-term conditions such as shortages due to disasters, etc. can cause.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW towing a 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canine Navigator" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & “Feline Navigators” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Maggie, Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH] Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hey theroc, that was very well considered and stated... You make some kind of New Years Resolution of something?
Nah, not a new years resolution but just a plain resolution that I made over a decade ago when we started getting into RVing more than just casually.

I too agree that fuel prices could go up significantly more than 25% in the next year. I just paid about $2.40 for diesel the other day. If it goes up to $3.00 or more, so be it. It's still less than the $4.50+ I remember paying once.

We all chose to purchase RVs. We all are smart enough to know that fuel prices go up and down. We pay whatever the price is at the time and continue on with what we are doing. Or we modify what we are doing to save some money.

Like I mentioned, I remember asking a salesman at the time the recession was at its worse if people would stop buying big RVs because of the high price of fuel and he told me "watch, people will start buying RVs again no matter" and he was right.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Nah, not a new years resolution but just a plain resolution that I made over a decade ago when we started getting into RVing more than just casually.

I too agree that fuel prices could go up significantly more than 25% in the next year. I just paid about $2.40 for diesel the other day. If it goes up to $3.00 or more, so be it. It's still less than the $4.50+ I remember paying once.

We all chose to purchase RVs. We all are smart enough to know that fuel prices go up and down. We pay whatever the price is at the time and continue on with what we are doing. Or we modify what we are doing to save some money.

Like I mentioned, I remember asking a salesman at the time the recession was at its worse if people would stop buying big RVs because of the high price of fuel and he told me "watch, people will start buying RVs again no matter" and he was right.
And you folks don't have a nut job government hell bent on putting in a carbon tax like we up here have. Our fuel is already over $5 per gallon and after they get finished with their carbon tax to save the planet we will be double that.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #10
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
And you folks don't have a nut job government hell bent on putting in a carbon tax like we up here have. Our fuel is already over $5 per gallon and after they get finished with their carbon tax to save the planet we will be double that.
Oh man. But they're still selling RVs up there in British Columbia, right? People are still willing to buy these things no matter, correct?

Until we have an all electric motor which can provide many miles at a time from a quick charge, we're all stuck. Until that day when such an electric powered RV exists --and it won't be in our lifetimes-- we have what we have.

A group of us were "talking around the campfire" the other night and discussing this very subject of RVs with electric motors. We all remember Rexall motorhomes, right? Well, the company that purchased the old Rexall plant in Lancaster California is BYD, a Chinese manufacturer (click) that is making electric transit buses for use here in North America. Transit buses can sustain a quick charge cycle in exchange for a a relatively small amount of miles. It is starting to work well in the city public transit systems around the world.

However, it electric coaches won't be developed to a point where a quick charge will provide enough miles for over-the-road applications nor for recreational vehicle use, as I mentioned, in our lifetime at any rate ...or those of us who are boomers and retired.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #11

Have to speak up here. Not every full timer has a coach that costs "hundreds of thousands of dollars". Some of us are slumming it, at least compared to those quarter million dollar rigs, so a 25% increase in anything is a consideration. That said, there are ways to compensate. A month of hosting at an ACOE park should make up for a lot of price increases.
hohokam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #12

As Denis said, we also have a nut job government, today marks the start of our new CARBON TAX. Fuel just went up 20.5cents a gallon making our cost equal to 4.23 a us gallon! Happy New Year Canadians......................
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
I'm thinking that the "expected" rise in gas cost by 25% this summer will cost me between $300 and $500. more in fuel operating cost this summer. Ouch!

I would also submit that kind of price increases will cool the Class A & C market sales and soften the used MH values.

I would rather be wrong.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
hmm, so $500 more a year for fuel is going to stop people from buying an RV????
Old 01-01-2017, 06:30 PM   #14

You can use your increase in social security to pay the extra fuel cost.😀😄😂
Misty123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas