Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #1

2019-2020 Winnebago Horizon

Anyone have information on these rigs. I really like the conservative paint scheme, and the interior seems to have a contemporary/european flair to it that is very attractive. Technically it seems to be similar to Tiffin and Entegra. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Eddie Horn
Eddie Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2019, 06:08 PM   #2

Personally I really like the style, paint and interior on the Horizon. The 42QD
floor plan has a lot of windows and feels really open when inside. I think Winnebago builds a good RV and I think the Horizon separates itself from the others.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #3

We took a factory tour in Junction City, OR., where they were first built. That plant is now closed. The Winnebago class A diesels seem to come and go lately. The Grand Tour and the Tour are no longer made. We looked at a Grand Tour, which as it turns out was the last production year. The fact that the model was no longer going to be made was not told to us even after calling the main headquarters and asking the question. These are expensive motorhomes and if the production is stopped due to lack of sales may leave you in a bad spot down the road should you need parts. I will tell you the Grand Tour we looked at in Junction City literally fell apart before our eyes, at which point the salesman and plant manager disappeared. One of the bay doors wouldn't shut, the levelers didn't work, mirrors in the both bathrooms fell off the wall and the wood work fell off the walls when touched. The poor tech that was assigned to us confided in us that he wanted to throw up when he was picked to show us the coach, he knew what was going to happen. We left.
The Horizon is the replacement for the Tour's. Very fancy machines and a ton of computers and electronics and the paint is just beautiful. If it were me I'd try and find sales figures for the model to see if they are selling enough to make a profit on them and keep them in production. Getting back to when production stops, Winnebago did not have in stock replacement mirrors for the ones that had fallen and broke. The salesman said they would have to them made, I asked why the factory didn't have one and was given some BS story, but was never told that production had stopped. So good luck.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #4

I think sticking with a brand that you can get parts and service support is one of the key factors in buying a MH. All i can say is my rig is 18 years old and i can still buy parts for it.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmiester View Post
We took a factory tour in Junction City, OR., where they were first built. That plant is now closed. The Winnebago class A diesels seem to come and go lately. The Grand Tour and the Tour are no longer made. We looked at a Grand Tour, which as it turns out was the last production year. The fact that the model was no longer going to be made was not told to us even after calling the main headquarters and asking the question. These are expensive motorhomes and if the production is stopped due to lack of sales may leave you in a bad spot down the road should you need parts. I will tell you the Grand Tour we looked at in Junction City literally fell apart before our eyes, at which point the salesman and plant manager disappeared. One of the bay doors wouldn't shut, the levelers didn't work, mirrors in the both bathrooms fell off the wall and the wood work fell off the walls when touched. The poor tech that was assigned to us confided in us that he wanted to throw up when he was picked to show us the coach, he knew what was going to happen. We left.
The Horizon is the replacement for the Tour's. Very fancy machines and a ton of computers and electronics and the paint is just beautiful. If it were me I'd try and find sales figures for the model to see if they are selling enough to make a profit on them and keep them in production. Getting back to when production stops, Winnebago did not have in stock replacement mirrors for the ones that had fallen and broke. The salesman said they would have to them made, I asked why the factory didn't have one and was given some BS story, but was never told that production had stopped. So good luck.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV

Winnebago bought Country Coach. That is the Junction Oregon plant. They tried to turn that into the luxury coach plant. Proved to be a mistake.[Moderator edit] So they moved back to Iowa at original al HQ. A mistake that will cost them. But I feel they still build a reputable machine...just made a mistake. Makes you wonder why Country Coach went under. Use some Algebra and find the common denominator.

Don't forget they also bought Grand Design.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:31 PM   #6

2019-2020 Winnebago Horizon

Winnebago quality in the last few years has really gone down the tubes. And it wasn’t all that good to start with.

There are now companies in the business building much better coaches than Winnebago. You’ll be much better off with Tiffin or Entegra.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
Winnebago quality in the last few years has really gone down the tubes. And it wasn’t all that good to start with.

There are now companies in the business building much better coaches than Winnebago. You’ll be much better off with Tiffin or Entegra.
I cant speak to Entegra reliability but a friend has had his fair share of trouble with his 2016 Tiffin. Front cap has separated multiple times, slide issues ect. Spoke to a guy next to me in a campground that had all kinds of trouble with his Tiffin and was intent on trading his 40 pusher in on a Fleetwood gas coach to be rid of it.

Winnebago does a good job on there wiring, access to diagrams for plumbing and electrical. Support for me has been good. They had some slide issues that is true but they don't build the slide mechanisms. They survived back in 2008 when many failed.

I looked at Entegra's in 2017. What I saw was sloppy workmanship when I looked beyond the the nice paint and eye candy. No worse than others mind you but not better either. I hear they have great customer support that is a plus.

They all can have problems, most of them share the same components, the builders pretty much build a box with a floor plan and outsource everything else. I think many of the frustrations people have is due to poor dealer service departments and a the disposable world we live in, most components are made by the lowest bidder and shared across most builders. Think about it what is different on levelers, slides, dishwashers, washer/dryers, a/c's, chassis, inverters, generators, awnings, ect. answer is not much.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Winnebago bought Country Coach. That is the Junction Oregon plant. They tried to turn that into the luxury coach plant. Proved to be a mistake...probably to many millenials and left wingers to produce a profitable product that held together. So they moved back to Iowa at original al HQ. A mistake that will cost them. But I feel they still build a reputable machine...just made a mistake. Makes you wonder why Country Coach went under. Use some Algebra and find the common denominator.

Don't forget they also bought Grand Design.
OK only right wingers live in Forrest City .
cclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:38 AM   #9

Winnebago from our experience does not honor their warranty. We were at their Winnebago owners rally in Forest City with our Itasca Horizon. Had an issue with the screen on the entrance door which our dealer could not fix. We attended the rally when our coach was 13 months old. Was told they would not fix or replace as we were 1 month out of warranty regardless if the dealer had the issue ldentified in our record. So we will never buy or recommend a Winnebago. In our experiences this would never happen with a Tiffin.
gandl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandl2 View Post
Winnebago from our experience does not honor their warranty. We were at their Winnebago owners rally in Forest City with our Itasca Horizon. Had an issue with the screen on the entrance door which our dealer could not fix. We attended the rally when our coach was 13 months old. Was told they would not fix or replace as we were 1 month out of warranty regardless if the dealer had the issue ldentified in our record. So we will never buy or recommend a Winnebago. In our experiences this would never happen with a Tiffin.
So your mad that they won't warranty a part after the warranty was expired? It would have been nice if they did but I don't get expecting them to do it.

If your never going to buy another because a screen broke out of warranty you would probably be really mad if you bought a Tiffin and the front cap separated twice like my friends did LOL! I'm not knocking Tiffin just saying stuff happens sometimes and it happens to all of them.

I passed a guy not to long ago in a beautiful coach on the high way that had a 6' Lemon on the side and back of his RV. I honestly don't remember the brand now but it had a tag. I would like to know what his story was, probably a great conversation piece and im sure he tells the story every chance he gets. I thought it was a awesome way to make a point.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuperheat View Post
So your mad that they won't warranty a part after the warranty was expired? It would have been nice if they did but I don't get expecting them to do.

The point is that the item was on my service record from the selling dealer who could not fix it and the service manager at the Winnebago plant said to us “tough”. By comparison we have had several items fixed by Tiffin after the advertised warranty was over but they fixed them anyway because “it was the right thing to do.” So based on my experiences who would you buy from?
gandl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:36 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by asuperheat View Post
I passed a guy not to long ago in a beautiful coach on the high way that had a 6' Lemon on the side and back of his RV. I honestly don't remember the brand now but it had a tag. I would like to know what his story was, probably a great conversation piece and im sure he tells the story every chance he gets. I thought it was a awesome way to make a point.
There was a thread here some months ago about that coach. It was a 2016 Newmar Dutch Star. The owner was attempting to, or had started legal proceedings......never heard what became of it.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
There was a thread here some months ago about that coach. It was a 2016 Newmar Dutch Star. The owner was attempting to, or had started legal proceedings......never heard what became of it.
Thanks, I will do a search for it and see if i can find the thread out of curiosity.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:49 AM   #14

I am at the Winnebago factory now. We are 4 months out of warranty. They fixed 3 items that were reported while under warranty and 3 items that happened after the warranty expired. This included giving us a free slide lock to fix a slide that was making noise. No complaints here.
murphy55378 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horizon, winnebago