Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2020, 10:14 AM   #1

2020 Georgetown 30X- Steering Wheel Vibration

Again, Help the Newbie-

I have 4500 miles on the RV now- We use our unit to travel to Georgia to see the grands-

I am having alot of vibration in the steering wheel- This happens on secondary and interstate roads. Even on newly paved roads-- there is still some. This RV was built on a F53 Chassis.

I took it to the local big tire shop this morning to get the steer tires checked for balancing. They seemed to think that it was never really balanced at the factory. They installed beads in the tires that correct balance issues. These are used on Tractor Trailers as well. They swear by them-- So I gave it a try-

After driving home-- I still have the steering wheel vibration- It may be a little better???

Has anyone had any type of experience with this issue? Or is this something I need to get use to?

- I realize I am not driving a 4 wheel car and the ride or drive-ability is not the same.

Looking for some good honest feedback- Maybe you can help guide me or at least tell me to quit wasting the money-- This is what to expect. Thanks for any guidance.
hbwooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #2

Vibration Happens between 45-to 65MPH-- We travel no faster than that- Also this is a brand new unit Total of 4500 actual miles-- Tires are Good Year 245/70R/19.5 is the tire size- Running between 90 and 100 PSI-
Old 05-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #3

You've only mentioned the steering wheel , in your post , can you feel this vibration in the dash or seat ?
Is this problem speed related ?
Worse at a given speed , then not so bad at others , then worse if speed is increased ?
Does the steering wheel go up and down or rock side to side?
Did the tire shop drive the coach ?

EDIT : I see you added info while I was typing; thanks.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:48 AM   #4

You've only mentioned the steering wheel , in your post , can you feel this vibration in the dash or seat ? I can only feel it in the steering Wheel- The tech did not drive it but rode with me and said he felt in the floorboard.... after applying the beads- and doing a test ride with him again- He said he did not feel as bad-- But the steering wheel was a little better.
Is this problem speed related ? It happens between 45 and 65 mph-- not sure after the 65 mph threshold. Pretty much smooth from 0 to 40.... no vibration
Worse at a given speed , then not so bad at others , then worse if speed is increased ?
Does the steering wheel go up and down or rock side to side? Steering wheel is an up and down vibration-- nothing side to side
Did the tire shop drive the coach ? Again the tech rode with me-- and acknowledged the vibration visually in the steering wheel. Thanks for any help
Skip426
Old 05-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #5

SKIP426- My answers in BOLD

You've only mentioned the steering wheel , in your post , can you feel this vibration in the dash or seat ? I can only feel it in the steering Wheel- The tech did not drive it but rode with me and said he felt in the floorboard.... after applying the beads- and doing a test ride with him again- He said he did not feel as bad-- But the steering wheel was a little better.
Is this problem speed related ? It happens between 45 and 65 mph-- not sure after the 65 mph threshold. Pretty much smooth from 0 to 40.... no vibration
Does the steering wheel go up and down or rock side to side? Steering wheel is an up and down vibration-- nothing side to side
Did the tire shop drive the coach ? Again the tech rode with me-- and acknowledged the vibration visually in the steering wheel. Thanks for any help
Skip426
Old 05-06-2020, 01:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the clarification.

I asked about the steering wheel , because any side to side, rocking, in the wheel can be an indication of a bad tire , and is usually worse at slower speeds . ( below 30 mph).

Starting at 45 and up to 65 .
Is there any speed in between where the vibration is less ?
Or does it get steadily worse as the speed goes up?

Have you ridden in the back of the coach to see if you can feel the vibration when you're in the area of the rear axle/tires ?

BTW; I did vibration analysis for 33 years at a Chrysler dealership, so I'm trying to determine if you may have a drive shaft issue, that is telegraphing through the whole coach. But I'll admit without riding with you ; it's like doing dentistry over the phone.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #7

Skip426

It is isolated to front steer tires - Everything is smooth in the back....
Old 05-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbwooten View Post
It is isolated to front steer tires - Everything is smooth in the back....

I would say the next step is a tire rotation; or find a shop that can spin balance the tires .... but with beads installed that might not be possible.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #9

We have a 2019 Georgetown which had the same problem. We took it to Gator Ford and they road balanced the tires. This is different than a regular balancing. It cost us $1500 but it was well worth the money as we had the tires balanced, steering aligned and tires rotated with no luck. We are going to submit a claim with Forest River and Ford.
BLessig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #10
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLessig View Post
We have a 2019 Georgetown which had the same problem. We took it to Gator Ford and they road balanced the tires. This is different than a regular balancing. It cost us $1500 but it was well worth the money as we had the tires balanced, steering aligned and tires rotated with no luck. We are going to submit a claim with Forest River and Ford.
$1500?? I hope that is a typo. Did you get a kiss after the act?
Old 08-09-2020, 05:01 PM   #11

I'm not a fan of balance beads in the tire. I would have them dismounted to remove the stuff inside then spin balanced. I also added Centramatic Balancer rings to both steer and drive axles. Don't have a lot of miles on the MH, but have run them on multiple semis for many years and am convinced they save tires and make the ride much better. If that doesn't solve it I would be suspicious of a bad steer tire. Also check if they are mounted "out of round", should be a ring on the tire near the wheel that should be the same distance away all the way around the tire.
TimothyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #12

No it is not a mistake, it took the tech 9 hours. What they do is remove the tires, then rotated them on the rim as the tires and rims are not in balance so they have to rotate until they get them totally balanced. They did this with all 6 wheels. There are not many dealers that have the equipment to perform a road balance, but now there is no vibration what so ever.
BLessig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:42 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I sold 2500-3000 International 4300's and Ford F650's to the wrecker industry per year. I did this for about 15 years. We used the EXACT same size tire as you are describing. They were Goodyears too. We had a couple hundred trucks out of 3000 that would vibrate so bad you couldn't see anything in the side mirrors.

You can balance those tires until you are blue in the face and will never get rid of the vibration! The only way to fix the issue is to use a radial run-out gauge. This will tell you if the tire/wheel combo is out of round. I believe if my memory is correct the acceptable run out is .070". You can use one of these machines (https://youtu.be/nbL9vMRbMCA) or a run out gauge to find the high spot of the tire. It needs to be mounted at the low spot on the rim. If you have problems with the rear duals causing vibration, you may need to "clock" the tires. Try turning one of the wheel/tires from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock (180 degrees). This may solve the "hop" in the pair by moving the high spot of one tire to the low spot of the other tire in that set of duals.

Just so you know, we switched from Goodyears to Michelins to try to solve this issue. It was about the same with either brand. After losing the sale of 18,000 tires the Goodyear Reps came calling on me to find out why!!! I spent the next year with their Engineers and the Engineers from Accuride wheels to find a solution. The problem I was having was that the Goodyear tire store wouldn't balance the tires or fix the run-out problem under warranty because they didn't mount the tires! The OEM warranty also does not cover tire balance at the dealership. Needless to say this was an issue that was driving me crazy and hurting my relationship with my customers.

I hope this information helps you. Good luck!
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:26 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
same thing happened to us

Our 2014 Georgetown DS335 did the same thing with the front tires except it would start around 50 MPH and smooth out after 70MPH. we had the beads in the tires also. we bought new tires last month and had them spin balanced. the difference is like night and day. we can now cruse at 65 MPH with no shimmy. we also had Goodyear tires all the way around. The new tires are cooper Hercules strong tire.
jlkrantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering, tow, vibration