RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2020, 07:56 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
2021 F53 suspension parts to 2019

Many F53 chassis owners have spent thousands ‘improving’ the stock handling with aftermarket parts. Now that Ford (from many reports) has done effective improvements, wouldn’t it be possible to retrofit those improved parts on a late model F53?
My problem is that I can’t seem to find any of the new parts to even do a price check. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Harry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2020, 07:18 AM   #2

If you mean take the current Ford parts from one chassis to an older one, probably not practical but one would have to compare the new parts to an older chassis to be sure.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you head down that path, I'd make sure you understand any detail changes made to the frame and frame components to accommodate these added/modified suspension parts. Might not be just an unbolt/bolt on process.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
From what I've seen. There is no real handling improvement from the F53 V10 to the F53 V8 other than a larger diameter rear anti-sway bar. So I guess you could replace that item and be caught up. If you look at the promo video and spec sheets you will agree. The video shows two completely different set up vehicles with a bias towards the new rig. Notice the load perfectly aligned to CG in the new rig? No wonder it won the slalom.

If the motorhome manufacturer builds a good quality product on a properly sized chassis there are no handling problems. When you get rigs with huge overhangs on the rear and short wheelbase to length ratios then you get problems with handling.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:00 PM   #5

I put a rear swaybar from a 24/26K chassis on my 2004 20.5K chassis. (It's a larger diameter.)

It wasn't a direct bolt on, but very close. Nice thing was, the part was just over $100 from Ford. WAY cheaper than an aftermarket bar (although not quite as big).

So I'd definitely say it's worth investigating more.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for the input. I’ve read hundreds of posts regarding handling complaints & the resulting step by step (expensive) experiments to secure improvements. It just seems to me that the hundreds of hours of engineering and testing by Ford could be used to the advantage of Ford owners wishing to improve handling. Additionally, if some money can be saved in the process......
I’ll investigate further for part numbers, availability and cost. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Harry
Old 09-14-2020, 08:00 AM   #7

F53: Lots of posts on handling improvement. Start with the free CHF mod while ensuring all suspension components are tight and tire pressures are correct for your weights, then put a rear track bar on. Next replace shocks with Bilsteins or Konis even better. After that Sumitomo springs.

Ford Engineering is who developed the old F53s too (that are better with the above). They have to keep costs to an absolute minimum and are engineering for many different boxes that run ontop of their chassis (RVs being probably worse case).

Tags
f53, parts, suspension