Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #1

2021 Georgetown GT7 Dashboard cluster

Got a new Georgetown rv 2 weeks ago. Did 150 miles on it and my dashboard cluster died. Called the dealer "Florida Outdoors RV Center" and drove it in (Very danger to drive with no gauges). The rv is there for a week and the dealer refuse to fix it. He claims that he does not have a ford computer and would not fix it. Called ford and they said to go to an RV ford dealer. The closest one is 150 miles from me and the first appointment to see me is mor than a month.

I called fors and they said they have no problem to send a new cluster to my dealer to install, but my dealer that I bought from him the rv, refusing to do it.
I am so confused....
Harrytor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2020, 08:57 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrytor View Post
Got a new Georgetown rv 2 weeks ago. Did 150 miles on it and my dashboard cluster died. Called the dealer "Florida Outdoors RV Center" and drove it in (Very danger to drive with no gauges). The rv is there for a week and the dealer refuse to fix it. He claims that he does not have a ford computer and would not fix it. Called ford and they said to go to an RV ford dealer. The closest one is 150 miles from me and the first appointment to see me is mor than a month.

I called fors and they said they have no problem to send a new cluster to my dealer to install, but my dealer that I bought from him the rv, refusing to do it.
I am so confused....
Well it sucks and the dealer deserves whatever neg reviews you can give, but you never want someone who is unwilling, unable, unqualified, etc working on your rig. So plan an outing, have a lead car setting the pace if needed, drive the 150 miles, leave it for proper service, and then come home in the car.

Over a month for an appointment is really not that uncommon but if you shop around, tell them you are on the road (which technically you will be), you should be able to get it in sooner. Florida is a big RV state, and you should be able to find someone to help.

Also use this link https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/conta...n-7-series-gt7 and contact Forest River directly, explain this whole situation to them and see if they can help. You might also tell them you posted this on IRV2 - they are probably conscious of the significant number of people viewing this.

Also note that included on that web page is this:

You may call the toll free Vehicle Safety
Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 or
(TTY: 1-800-424-9153)
Or visit www.safercar.gov

Since this qualifies as a safety issue you have that option as well.

Good luck and report back on how this goes.

PS - I see this is your first post - Welcome to the club - you came to the right place!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
NXR

That dealer seems to be in Stuart, FL, zip code 34994 while your profile says you're from state "ON" in country "USA". "ON" is usually Ontario, Canada?

The Ford motorhome chassis is serviced by their commercial dealers: https://fordcommercialvehiclecenter.com/

Searching on that zip code finds several of them. Clicking on Advanced Filters at the top and selecting Motorhome - Class A at the top right finds five dealers within 50 miles of that Stuart zip code.

Perhaps you can find one closer.

Ray
Old 10-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #4

Thanks for the link. I am now in Boca Raton Fl. 33433
Only one dealer in Miami to service but he is booked for a month.
The rep from Georgetown was very helpful and I hope I will find some one with shorter wait and closer to Stuart as the RV has to be towed.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
NXR

Well, it's a computer. Have you tried doing a power-off reboot?

Shut off all power to the motorhome and turn the house battery switch to Off.

Disconnect the negative cable on the chassis battery for five or ten minutes and then reconnect it. Pray.

Ray
Old 11-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #6

After 30 days at the dealer, the adviser called me and said it is the cluster module that need to be replaced, but the part is on back order for at lest 28 days. If the part will come in on time, My rv will be out of commission for more 2 months.

I am so p.....
Any one has a good lawyer ?
Old 11-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
No lawyer, but if you want to use your coach while waiting, buy a ScanGauge or similar device that plugs into the OBD2 port. It will give you all of the gauges, including speedo, that you need to operate safely.

I can’t see the gauges in my F53 based coach most of the time (too dark) and use one for exactly that.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
After 30 days at the dealer, the adviser called me and said it is the cluster module that need to be replaced, but the part is on back order for at lest 28 days. If the part will come in on time, My rv will be out of commission for more 2 months.

I am so p.....
Any one has a good lawyer ?
You could insist that they at least add two months to your warranty
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
No lawyer, but if you want to use your coach while waiting, buy a ScanGauge or similar device that plugs into the OBD2 port. It will give you all of the gauges, including speedo, that you need to operate safely.

I can’t see the gauges in my F53 based coach most of the time (too dark) and use one for exactly that.
That is a very simple elegant solution. I got mine at a local auto store. Thanks for mentioning it.

Ray
Old 11-11-2020, 04:42 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ray,

Anytime!

I'm actually in the process of building a "head up" kinda device that will sit above the factory cluster and recreate all the gauges in a way that I can see it in any light and without looking down.

Yes, I could just use a ScanGauge, but I'm a retired software engineer (among other things) who dabbles in electronics and who has waaaaaay too much time on my hands thanks to the virus.

Regards,

Randy
Old 11-12-2020, 01:41 PM   #11

Thanks for the advise, But Ford will not let me use it as it is unsafe to drive. In Florida we have the lemon law. 2 months out of service without the ability to fix it or 3 time trying to fix the same problem. 2 years on a brand new unit.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #12

Quote:

I am so confused....

WOW that is nasty they refuse to service the product they sell.
That is really bad news, need to give them bad reviews only after you pull your MH out of their lot.

Check the oil level before you drive away to make sure the engine oil level is good before you hit the road
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post

Regards,

Randy

Great idea..... I would do that before I let my MH sit for months
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, that's unbelievable. To fail to repair your coach in a timely manner is one thing. To label it unsafe and impound it is quite another.

So, if you haven't already, you need to contact Ford's Regional Service Manager for your region. For Florida, that appears to be a lady named Heather Maas. I found this number 800-392-3673 which looks like the right place to start. Be firm, and insist on speaking with Heather (or whomever the correct RSM is).

Before you make the call, sit down and write out the details and timeline of the issue. Be complete, but concise. A long drawn out story won't help. All you will need are facts and dates. You'll use this as you speak with Heather to help ensure she hears everything she needs to hear.

Then, sit down, close your eyes, and take a deep breath. Take a few minutes to think about what you want to happen. I would imagine you want a couple of things:
  1. You want your coach fixed in, say, no more than one week. Ford almost certainly does have the part, and they can have it to your dealer in less than 24 hours. It may be allocated to a build, and they really hate pulling warranty parts from "the line", and they hate paying for guaranteed overnight delivery, but they can and will do both if pushed hard enough.

2. You want your Ford chassis warranty extended by whatever amount of time your coach was out of service.

3. You also want your Forest River warranty extended, but Ford can't help with that so don't bring it up!

4. You don't want a pound of flesh, restitution, or anything like that. Making unreasonable demands only slows down the process. Only go there if you must, and then only after your coach is fixed and back in your possession.

Now, when you are calm and ready - make the call. Do your best to remain calm. Stick to your script: facts, dates, resolution. Heather probably won't be able to do anything on the phone, so ask for an "action plan" sent via email and a specific date/time by which she will get back to you.

DO NOT under any circumstances, mention lawyers! The moment you do the whole process changes, and gets even slower still. Be careful about mentioning lemon laws as those require the engagement of lawyers as well.

I was a Regional Service Manager (we had a different name for it, but same job) for a Fortune 50 computer manufacturer for about 10 years. What I've outlined above will give you your best shot of getting a satisfactory resolution.

If after all of this, you still don't have satisfactory resolution, it's time to engage a lawyer.

Good luck,

Randy

Tags
dash, dashboard, tow