RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2018, 12:50 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
25 - 30% off MRSP Question

Iíve read on this forum, people saying that 25 - 30% off MRSP is what you should pay for a new class A motorhome. Good advice!!

My question is, since Iím a horrible negotiator, does the same go for new cars? I recently purchased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler through the Costco program. I know I overpaid. Just curious how much of a sucker I really am. 25 - 30% off MRSP on cars as well?

My last car was a 2011 4 Runner. To avoid the sales staff, I called the fleet manager and was offered $700 over invoice. I donít know why I didnít do the same for the Wrangler. I guess I fell for the Costco hype.

How do you negotiate a purchase of a new vehicle?
Mogulite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 04:32 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
ON a new car I usually shoot for 10-12% unless a year end model then I look for more.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:53 AM   #3

Edmunds website has a price calculator that shows the average prices being paid. Why do you think you overpaid through CostCo? We've used them with satisfactory results.

4Runners and Wranglers are high demand vehicles usually not deeply discounted.

I don't negotiate car prices. Use the ample online resources to establish a fair price and offer it. They can accept or not. Most buyers fail to appreciate the power they have. You don't NEED to buy a car. The sales team NEEDS to sell or they don't get paid.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:06 AM   #4

If youíre a USAA member they will negotiate for you and present the deal to you and then you decide yes or no.

There are many online sites that you can use to figure out what type of pricing to expect.
CarGurus.com
Truecar.com
Carsdirect.com

I used CarGurus to find and purchase my last vehicle. I did everything online and over the phone before going to the dealership.

I also purchased a new truck using cars direct. Easiest purchase I ever made.

I really donít know the percentages off MSRP compared to RVís, but I do know that if you spend a little time online researching a specific make/model of vehicle using the above websites you will have a pretty good idea of whatís a good or bad deal.

When you go to the dealership to do the paperwork donít fall for the dealership adding extras when you sit down with finance person. Unless you know you want protection plans, service plans, etc... just say no, no, no.

The other factor in the price you will be quoted has a lot to do with how in demand is the vehicle you want. SUVs like the four runner and Jeeps are hot right now, so the dealerships wonít be offering as many incentives on those types of vehicles.

Iím by no means an expert on car buying, but Iíve learned with all the online information available it puts the consumer in a much better position to negotiate a fair deal if you just spend some time researching.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can normally get 6 to 12 % off new car/truck price but the Jeep Wranglers is a different animal. I found 3-year Wrangler with 40,000 miles on local car lots and they were asking 35,000. The sticker on my brand new Wrangler was 40,000 so if I got my usual 10% that would have been 36,000. The dealer gave me a free bottle of water and agreed to pay all the labor to make it 4 down towable if I purchased the parts. NO, you probably didn't get a bad deal and will recoup some on the higher than normal resale value that a jeep seems to demand.
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Thanks all. I feel better. I felt like I overpaid by a couple of thousand but maybe not.
Mogulite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:40 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Costco was the best deal when I bought our '14 GC. I think it was supposedly $500 over invoice.

The invoice they show you really isn't the true invoice to the dealer. At the end of the year a dealer gets some additional discounts, kick backs, and other stuff that we will never find out about.

My father in law owned a dealership and he said that he didn't know the final price until all the dust settled at the end of the year
Old 10-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Jeeps tend to hold against deep discounts, mostly because of demand. But, like was mentioned, they also tend to hold their value for resale.
jmltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:42 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Costco was the best deal when I bought our '14 GC. I think it was supposedly $500 over invoice.

The invoice they show you really isn't the true invoice to the dealer. At the end of the year a dealer gets some additional discounts, kick backs, and other stuff that we will never find out about.

My father in law owned a dealership and he said that he didn't know the final price until all the dust settled at the end of the year
X2

DW worked in finance department at dealership. Invoice is not a true invoice. The dealer gets holdback plus incentives for numbers plus factory to dealer rebates as well as floorplan allowances.

Remember, dealers have to make money to stay in business. No one pays MSRP. If you get your vehicle at about 200-300 below invoice pricing you are doing decent. The dealer is making well over 1000 - 2000 per vehicle on low end and more on trucks and SUV's. Do the math - you could not afford the lot, buildings, employees etc as well as floorplan and interest on all those financed cars sitting on the lot (yes, most pay the bank every month as they sit hence the urgency to get them sold) if they were only making a few hundred bucks per car.....

FWIW