Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #1

255 70r 22.5 h 16 pr michelin or goodyear?

I purchased my Gulfstream last Oct, getting ready for a trip to Nashville TN in a couple weeks, Looking things over I checked the Date on my Goodyear G670s they are 7 years old this Month but only 10K miles on them, they look Very good, No dry rotting, no cracking, no bubbles Tread is Smooth and Flat no rivering.

I have learned alot reading these forums regarding tires on RVs and It appears I am at a crossroad, Replace them or risk a blow out or worse.

I don't mind replacing them for the best quality tire I can buy in my size.

My size 255 70R 22.5 H 16PR seems to somewhat limit my choices.

Plus Local Availability and Tire shops willingness to find recently date coded Tires in a matching set has become a Challenge.

I located G670s close by but they are already nearly 2 Years Old Code 4011

Petes Tire barn (who does not sell Goodyear) is willing to get me less than 3 month old Michelin XZEs and Tells me this is the tire he runs on his RV

And they also have a wheel Referbishing program for 38.95 a wheel where they get sandblasted Zinc coated and Powdercoated white or Black, and they have pallets of them in stock, Which is enticing since my wheels are dirty and a bit rusty in spots.

I have read a lot about Michelin tires Cracking so this has me a bit concerned about spending 3500.00 on tires.

I suppose I can keep looking for Goodyear, I have only tried one dealer.

So the Dilemma, Michelin XZE or Goodyear G670??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

I bought the same size for my GulfStream last October; I got a better price on Bridgestone tires from a local dealer. He had to order them and the date code was less than two months old on each tire. They are also made in the USA.
Total price for mounted, balanced and all taxes was $2850.00.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie_6spd View Post
I bought the same size for my GulfStream last October; I got a better price on Bridgestone tires from a local dealer. He had to order them and the date code was less than two months old on each tire. They are also made in the USA.
Total price for mounted, balanced and all taxes was $2850.00.

Mike
Thanks Mike, but this is not a competition over Price, it is over What is The Best Tire available.

Are they better tire than Michelin, Petes tire barn also carries Bridgestone and says No.

Ted.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #4

I have better service from Bridgestone than either Goodyear or Michelin on my motorhomes in the past. That said, my current has Michelins and are doing very well. In the past, Bridgestones were slightly cheaper too, an added bonus.
Scooter Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ted, just my .2 cents worth of input. I have Goodyear on my coach. Had them now for 14 months and 10K miles on a tag axle. To date no troubles and the appearance is still new. Wear if any is negible! Not saying they are better than Michelin but since you are looking for the best product this post is from a satisfied consumer. FMCA, if a member, offers a Michelin discount program.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #6

We had a steer tire sidewall failure on a Goodyear G670 275/70 R 22.5 H and Goodyear stood behind their tire. The Goodyear G670 is a decent tire but be sure you get round ones. WE got one adjusted becaue they could not get it whithin spec.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I read about too many problems with Michelin and Good Year when I just was dealing with my own tires to replace. I finally decided on Toyo M154's. Mine are 295/75R22.5 and are 16 ply. All six installed out the door were $3240. No complaints in reviews I read. I don't think you have to buy Big Name tires to get good ones. Big Name only means Big Price when it came to comparison.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #8

I have to believe that if there are 10 million Goodyears, 10 million Michelins and 1 Million Toyos on the road, and the percentage of failure were equal you would hear about more failures from Goodyear and Michelin.

Just for the sake of discussion, but it is the laws of Math.

Ted.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post
I have to believe that if there are 10 million Goodyears, 10 million Michelins and 1 Million Toyos on the road, and the percentage of failure were equal you would hear about more failures from Goodyear and Michelin.

Ted.
Ted, it sounds like you've already decided on Goodyear or Michelin; between those two I personally have had better experience with Michelin.

The tire manufacturers tell us the date you install the tires is more relevant than the date code on the tire but if you decide to sell most potential buyers regard the date code as the most important factor; I would not install 2 year old tires on my MH for that reason.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post

Ted.
Agreed. Law of Averages. Nobody goes out of their way to post no issue.
However, knowing what gets complaints and what doesn't is what we all use to base decisions of purchase. At least that's what I do. I look for the item that does just as good a job for a lesser cost. Apples to apples.....price wins.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #11

I have always had Michelin tires, yes they cost a bit more, however, I trust them. I just had new ones put on my Horizon 40KD and I have new ones on my tow, all Michelins. If you think how much your MH is worth and what damage would be caused by a tire failure do cheap tires really make much sense. I don't trust tires made in China especially with the reputation they have for shoddy workmanship. So when you are going down the road at 55-60 mph in your MH do you really feel safe with a cheap tire made in China? Happy MHing!
Jackhal1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have 275/70/22.5 G670's that are 7 years 10 months old and not planning on replacing them for another 2 years when they turn 10.

If they don't last 10 then I will try another brand other then Michelin.
Had Zipper blow outs with them at 4 and 6 years and they have no warranty for cracks in the sidewall from day one.
Good Year has a 7 year warranty on sidewall cracks.
That should tell you something.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote