Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #43

3/4" impact

When I first bought my coach I was thinking the air system for the brakes and suspension would be just the ticket, has a compressor and 2 storage tanks, but the system only goes to 120 lbs and the recovery is to slow, comes in handy for airing up toys and tires though, and blowing off the patio if your not in a hurry but that's about it.
Also my coach is a 2000 with a cumins, its not nice and quite like the new ones ,there is no hidding it shes plenty loud when running.

2000 American Eagle
2015 Silverado toad
2004 Freestar on a Master Tow ( when we have the grand kids)
1947 Buick convertible just for fun
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #44

I have been spinning wrenches on big trucks since I was 12. My buddy went on to be a engineer. We would regularly work on projects together he would grab the snap on clicker after I hand tourqed fasteners guess what, I was on almost 100 percent of the time.

In my 32 years of driving truck not once did anyone tourqe the lug nuts!

That being said if in your past life you were a doctor book keeper pilot I would buy a tourqe wrench and use it.

The new battery powered tools are no joke if you buy quality.

Having just left the sailing life some people are using the fuel angle drill with a bit to make a poor man's electric winch they work great.

Bob
Snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:53 PM   #45

120 PSI at the tank is plenty of air to run air tools like impact wrenches, as most are rated to run at 90 psi, which gives you 30 psi of pressure drop coming out of the tank. The only thing is you might have to stop after every nut or two and let the compressor catch up, still a lot quicker and easier than doing it by hand. It is not like you are going to be pulling the wheels off every day, so does it really matter that it takes 15 minutes to remove and replace the lug nuts taking a dozen 1 minute breaks along the way for the compressor to catch up?

I built a small 10x12 ft deck at the back of my house about 15 years ago in one day using a small $99 air compressor and a $230 pneumatic framing nailer doing much the same, having to wait 10-15 seconds between each nail vs tap-tap-tap nailing I could do if I had a more appropriate larger sized compressor. It was still way better than using a hammer.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
For the few times in your life you may or may not need it, I opted for a Chinesium torque multiplier kit with assorted size sockets, including the 33mm size and rear budd nut square drive socket. I also carry a 3/4" breaker bar and a 4' cheater bar that will get real close to the required 475ftlb wheel nut torque Alcoa recommends. That Milwaukee cordless looks nice too, but, as reviews have stated, advertised torque values are based off a full battery charge. Sure like to try one out though.
As far as wrestling a 22.5 wheel/tire is concerned no issues.
Carry a 4' flat shovel, a block of wood and learn how to use them with the tire barely off the ground. Easy.
I have a 2015 Entegra Anthem and replaced the 6 rear tires myself. A torque multiplier is the best solution. Mine cost $71 on Amazon. I had a trailer that my son's 3/4 drive air wrench could not budge. I put a 10 pipe and a 3/4 breaker on them and couldn't budge them and then broke the breaker bar. I thought I'd have to cut them off then I bought the multiplier. It was amazing how easy they come off using it.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #47

24Volt Kobalt

Check out this link. You may get it cheaper at a different online store but I got mine at Loweshttps://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-24-Volt-Max-1-2-in-Drive-Cordless-Impact-Wrench/1000061167.
650 torque pounds I use it on huge tractor tires, fifth wheel, 3/4 ton truck, boat trailer. I can change a flat on the fifth wheel in under 20 minutes. I never leave home without it. By far the best tool I own and I have a shop of tools with a selection better than most repair places. For those screwing around with torque wrenches, be my guest. I can torque with my impact and be within 10 foot pounds but carry one if your concerned. I can rotate my truck tires on a single charge with one battery, that's four tires off and back on so anybody poo pooing batteries does not know what they are talking about. I carry the charger but have never used it. When your on the side of the interstate with a flat this will save you over one half the time to get you back on the road.
spflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #48

Impact Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
Am thinking I would like a 3/4 battery impact to carry in my american eagle, any input, will it remove the lug nuts on my 22.5s.
Good idea but you may need a multiplier wrench to loosen somewhat prior to using impact wrench. In addition to your impact wrench I carrie a multiplier wrench for ease of removal.
Juancoloncor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #49

Quote:
After 40+ years working as mechanic I've replaced tires on everything from lawn tractors to dump trucks and road graders, never used a torque wrench, the secret is having a tool capable of doing the job and trusting your senses to know when things are tight.
I'm not anti torque wrench, have a snap on clicker I use often but even there over time you can just sense what 40ft. lbs feels like when snuggling up bolts pre torque, kind of like being able to look at a nut and tell weather its a 13/16ths or a 19mm, cant explain it just can.
In the several times tires have been removed from my coach by shops ive watched and never saw a torque wrench just a 1" impact with lots of air pressure behind it.

2000 American Eagle
2015 Silverado (towed)
2004 freestar LX (on a Master Tow dolly) When we take the grand kids
1947 Buick convertible, just for fun
Wow! Can't believe you are a mechanic and you don't use a torque wrench. You know of course, DOT requires a set torque on wheel nuts. The reason for the torque spec is because under torquing will allow the wheel to loosen up over time. The BIGGEST reason is that over torquing nuts will stretch the studs allowing them to snap off going down the road. My son has been a mechanic for 20 years and he told me that using air wrenches are the biggest problem. I've seen "mechanics" put wheels on with 1" air wrenches and just crank on them until they can't turn anymore. Bad idea, torque wrench good idea
Old 12-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigrocket View Post
Not even a question.. Milwaukee Fuel 18Volt - PRO LEVEL- but that's what I have. I have had the set for 4 years. Never an issue

1,000 ft-lbs of fastening torque and 1400 ft-lbs of Removal. Its better then the air tools that I have had in the past. I haven't had a lug that wasn't removable.....

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...enches/2767-20

Anything else is foolish
I agree. I have two of them, one for the garage and one for the road. Batteries last a long time.

If you really want to work on 22.5 lug nuts, you should get a torque-multiplier (check Amazon) with something equal to or better than 58:1 ratio. Lug nuts just crank right off.

I also have a 5 ft torque wrench that goes to 800 ft/lbs. Those lug nuts get torqued to 450 ft/lbs.

I am 71 and I handle my 22.5s all the time. Just use two big levers to assist with the fit over the lug bolts.
beekeeper.va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #51

My solution is a 5x torque multiplier, it is compact and works with a 150 ft-lb torque wrench to tight/remove lugs nuts or what ever. I also have a 800 ft-lb torque wrench but it is large and doesn't pack well.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Am thinking I would like a 3/4 battery impact to carry in my american eagle, any input, will it remove the lug nuts on my 22.5s.
I have a Kobalt 1/2 XTR 24V (Tool, Charger & Battery) (1200 lbs loosening - 750 lbs Tightening) $200 at Lowes plus battery's are about half price of other brands and wrench has a 5 yr warranty, I'm very happy with it. A friend of mine managed to twist off a lug nut with his.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:13 PM   #53

I have the 3/4" and 1/2" cordless impacts, but a 3/4" bar with the right sockets will do the trick. I have a 3/4" torque wrench to properly install the tires. This is a must or you are guessing. Also you will require the special socket for the inner wheel nuts.
Sure the tires are heavy at around 120 lbs but you never lift the tires off. You use a pry bar to lever the tires off and back on. it is all in the technique, not in the brute strength of the person.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:15 PM   #54

Quote:
I purchased the Milwaukee M18 HD 1/2" drive impact driver some time ago with the 5 amp batteries. Use this with 1/2 to 3/4" adapter and large impact sockets on my 2001 Patriot Thunder for all chassis work including wheel lugs on and off. This unit can deliver up to 1100 pounds of torque. Used on setting 3 torques my wheels to 450lbs. Would not go anywhere without it.
Rrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
My problem with battery powered drills and impact drills is keeping them charge when you will need it. If you have an onboard generator, my preference would be a corded tool. Use the generator and an extension cord.

Ken
I agree with that. Plus it seems like the batteries last a lot longer if you use them regularly.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
It's never a 'feel' thing. If you are using a impact, electric or air, you can't tell how tight they are. You've got to use a torque wrench. Even the pros that do it all the time at the tire stores use a torque wrench.
True, it's shame they don't use the torque wrench correctly though, but better than hammering on them with a impact wrench.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric