Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
It's for more than just tires

First, if you are trying to minimize/economize on your tools, I'd expect a breaker bar or t-lug wrench would let you break it loose, and after that you can use a standard drill/driver (if you can get a socket big enough) or manual socket wrench to finish the job. After all, it's a roadside repair, not a high capacity production shop.

Second, my big roadside crisis in the past has been leveling jacks, not tires. Both of my Class A's have had troubles with their jacks. The electric jacks on my first coach retracted, then sheared a pin and dropped right back down. I had to remove a nearly-seized 3/4" nut (or thereabouts) to dismount the whole unit to get home. It was either that or find a way to wire tie it up and hope it didn't break loose and start dragging. My second Class A has hydraulic jacks (not HWH, but hydraulic) and they get confused sometimes about if they are up and locked, and the system won't run if my house battery has died badly enough. I've never had to retract them manually bit it's been a really close call a few times. Retracting them calls for spinning a lug (attached to a hydraulic pump) with an electric drill.

The moral of my story is, if you're arguing that you don't carry drivers and breaker bars because tires are too heavy to handle, think about all of the other things that are torqued down super tight or require a lot of drill/driver action that might need a field repair to get you home, or to the nearest service center.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #86

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post
Maybe you couldn't get the lugs off because your tires were mounted by one of the mechanics who doesn't need a torque wrench, because he can just feel when the torque is right with an impact wrench...

Just sayin...

My wheels a torqued twice once when installed and again 100 plus miles later there re torqued! By local tire shop! I have removed them when needed!
Old 12-21-2020, 07:26 PM   #87

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loday View Post
First off I- don’t believe any 1/2” impact will loosen a 400+ ft pound lug nut off a pusher. I however don’t have the Milwaukee 1/2” mentioned above and have not tried it. I have been a mechanic for 40+ years and own 6 to 7 impact drivers in multiple brands, Ingersol, HF and Snap-On. I love them all and take good care of them. A few months ago I had a flat on my pusher at my house. I tried everything I had in my shop and none of them would budge any of the nuts. I ended up buying a new 1600# 1” air impact and got them off. Yes many of the bullet points state 500 to 1000 ft pounds of torque but that is a stretch. Secondly a garage that torques lugs to their rated 400+# when they are mounted is a far cry from the torque it takes to remove nuts from a wheel that has been on for a year or so experiencing a wide range of temperature differentials and weather changes. I always carry my cordless 3/4” to change tires on trailers or my toad but as someone earlier stated 22.5’s like I have weigh far more than I want to change on the road. I also suggest AAA, Good Sam or some other roadside assistance insurance. Just my simple thoughts and experiences.
Take care and Happy RVing...
I had the ingersolrand 20volt and it was a piece of junk from the get go. If you never used the Milwaukee 1/2 battery impact and you don't believe it can bust a lug off a semi you don't know your new tool market.
SeaBreazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #88

3/4" impact

After all the input from fellow RVers ive decided on the Milwaukee 1/2 " fuel electric impact to replace my tired impacts, and after spending a half hour starting my old chain saw today , I watched a vid on their chain saw and I'll be getting one of those as well. Time to get into the 21st centuty.

2000 American Eagle
2015 Silverado towed
2004 Freestar (when we have the grand kids)
1947 Buick convertible just for fun
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
I watched a vid on their chain saw and I'll be getting one of those as well.
I didn't like the price but I really do like the chainsaw. It replaced a dead 16" two stroke. I bought the 12AH battery too, also pricy. But it lasts as long as a tank of gas lasted in the gas saw. A 5 or 6 size battery seems to last no time though. Makes it a bit lighter for just knocking off a few overhead branches and such.
I don't miss yanking on the rope, the noise, and fooling with gas at all. I bet you'll like it too.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:09 AM   #90

You will like the impact and the chain saw, I have both and great addition to my tool arsenal. They are both handy and convenient. The saw pretty much required the 12 amp hour battery if you want to do much with it. Great for camping and cutting small amounts of wood or trimming. I have the trimmer as well. The saw will do as much or more than any gas saw of similar size.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:33 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
My wheels a torqued twice once when installed and again 100 plus miles later there re torqued! By local tire shop! I have removed them when needed!
In all sincerity if you are only Torqued to 450-475 with a tq wrench and your Milwaukee High tq wont pull the lugs then I would suspect either you are using a couple of adapters with too much slop to hammer and it is being absorbed in the adapter, extension socket set up or maybe your impact is broken. I have pulled a front wheel with a tire missing and no brake applied. Wheel just free spinning on a 22.5" that was Torqued to 450. Zipped all the lugs right off one hand, no issue.

I have also pulled my previous and current wheels off to clean them better multiple times. I reinstall them with a TQ limiting extension so I dont over tighten them then I Torque them with a Proto 600 Lb tq wrench to 450 when reinstalling.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:32 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuperheat View Post
In all sincerity if you are only Torqued to 450-475 with a tq wrench and your Milwaukee High tq wont pull the lugs then I would suspect either you are using a couple of adapters with too much slop to hammer and it is being absorbed in the adapter, extension socket set up or maybe your impact is broken. I have pulled a front wheel with a tire missing and no brake applied. Wheel just free spinning on a 22.5" that was Torqued to 450. Zipped all the lugs right off one hand, no issue.

I have also pulled my previous and current wheels off to clean them better multiple times. I reinstall them with a TQ limiting extension so I dont over tighten them then I Torque them with a Proto 600 Lb tq wrench to 450 when reinstalling.
I'm having a hard time getting a mental picture of what you are saying here. Could you please explain this for me?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
After all the input from fellow RVers ive decided on the Milwaukee 1/2 " fuel electric impact to replace my tired impacts, and after spending a half hour starting my old chain saw today , I watched a vid on their chain saw and I'll be getting one of those as well. Time to get into the 21st centuty.

2000 American Eagle
2015 Silverado towed
2004 Freestar (when we have the grand kids)
If the 1/2" Milwaukee impact won't take it off, you need a grinder cause someone welded it on. Those things are IMPRESSIVE! The entire line of Milwaukee tools is very nice. Best money I have spent in quite a while on tools.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:44 PM   #94

Monaco Owners Club
Battery powered Harbor Freight 3/4

Don't know if HF 3/4 Battery Impact will remove 22.5 tires, but I use the 3/4 Air Ingersol Rand to remove mine at home as needed. If I need one on the road, I will let road service do it. I did buy a HF 3/4 Battery powered unit for a special job(had no air capability where equipment was located) I had away from home. Unfortunately, those bolts were in less than great shape, and even though HF advertises 1400 Foot Lbs. I had no luck at all. So, I just returned the Wrench to HF. Store mgr was not happy, but I don't think it has the same torque as my Ingersol. FWIW.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #95

3/4" impact

In response to Bigd9's question about extensions, anything between the anvil of the impact and the nut you want to loosen, a socket adapter or extension reduces the impacting force of the impact, so if you have to use a extension to get to the nuts on your rear duels, the extension will absorb some of the impacting action between the tool and the nut thusly reducing the ability to remove the nut or bolt.
In reality that is how a torque stick works, it is designed to absorb the hammering force at a preset amount not allowing over tightening.

2000 American Eagle
2015 Silverado (towd)
2004 Freestar LX on a Master Tow dolly ( when we have the grandkids)
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #96

impact wrench

My Grandson removed my front 22.5 wheels with a 1/2 portable impact wrench without to much trouble but you will need a 3 /4 drive torque wrench that will go to 450 foot pounds to put them back on.
Tom mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #97

3/4" Impact Wrench

Last year my neighbour loaned me his Makita 3/4" electric impact wrench. It worked perfectly to remove all my 22.5 wheels, and shocks. I used it to install new Konis, I bled the brakes then reinstalled the wheels. I put all the lug nuts on with the impact which was rated to max torque of 433 ftlb. I then torqued all the nuts with a torque multiplier and 1/2" torque wrench set to the correct spec based on the gear ratio of the multiplier to give 450 ftlb. Only a couple out of 32 lug nuts moved, then only a minute amount. I have since bought my self a Makita 3/4" 18V cordless impact, rated 740 ftlb fastening torque and 1250 ftlb removing torque. I also have a 3/4" torque limiting stick rated at 450 ftlb. I have also heard good things about the Milwaukee Fuel impact. You are better off with 3/4" tools and sockets. Most 1/2" breaker bars, extensions and sockets are only rated to 300 ftlb or less.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:49 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I'm having a hard time getting a mental picture of what you are saying here. Could you please explain this for me?
If there are multiple adapters and they are cheap or wore out causing a lot of play between the impact and the lug nut the hammer action may be absorbed in the play of the adapters and not applied to the lug nut. Just like you can hold the end of a impact and it hammers and does not tear your wrist off. I was saying if it is torqued to 450-475 and a Milwaukee high tq impact won't remove it it is either most likely broken or you have too much play in the extension/socket set up for it to effectively hammer.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric