Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2022, 11:51 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 11
30 / 20 Breaker Replacement

Hi, thanks in advance.
I need to replace the 30 /20 breaker for 2004 Fleetwood Flair 33R
Original company / supplier is out of business.
I'm a complete newbie in this regard so any help is greatly appreciated.

How can I determine the correct replacement part?
- Are there other variables aside from 30/20?
- Are there details related to RV vs Home // AC vs DC?
- Some sort of code or ID i should look for?
Thanks so much in advance.
__________________
2004 Fleetwood Flair 33R
WonderWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderWander View Post
Hi, thanks in advance.
I need to replace the 30 /20 breaker for 2004 Fleetwood Flair 33R
Original company / supplier is out of business.
I'm a complete newbie in this regard so any help is greatly appreciated.

How can I determine the correct replacement part?
- Are there other variables aside from 30/20?
- Are there details related to RV vs Home // AC vs DC?
- Some sort of code or ID i should look for?
Thanks so much in advance.
What brand is it? If Bryant (colored handles green for 30 and red for 20) the replacement is Eaton Cutler Hammer BR series. You also need to know if it is a CTL (circuit limiting) or a Non-CTL. A non-CTL will fit any panel but a CTL will only fit a panel with a notched bus stab and it will have a small metal rejection tab right where the slot is that clips onto the bus.
__________________
Brian, 2011 Winnebago Via Class A on Sprinter Chassis
Tucson, AZ
https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/1040577.png
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:01 PM   #3
Community Moderator
 
HarryStone's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Clovis NM
Posts: 3,999
Blog Entries: 4
Here's a chart that shows the interchangeability between circuit breaker companies.

https://www.relectric.com/blog/2019/...terchangeable/
__________________
2006 Damon Daybreak 3276 35'with 5 Star Tuner. 3 200 Amp Lithium batteries and 2000 watt PSW inverter/charger. 2013 Elantra on a Master Tow dolly.
Retired USAF
HarryStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:02 PM   #4
Community Moderator
 
HarryStone's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Clovis NM
Posts: 3,999
Blog Entries: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Sorry, not sure what a 30/20 breaker is.


Who is the manufacturer? Part number?
I believe he's talking about something like this;

https://www.amazon.com/20-30-Amp-Cir...03815541&psc=1
__________________
2006 Damon Daybreak 3276 35'with 5 Star Tuner. 3 200 Amp Lithium batteries and 2000 watt PSW inverter/charger. 2013 Elantra on a Master Tow dolly.
Retired USAF
HarryStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,237
Note that the replacement Eaton brand will not have colored handles, that was unique to Bryant. Cutler Hammer bought Bryant then Cutler Hammer was bought by Eaton. Again, if you have a notched bus the CTL will fit and is cheaper than the non-CTL which fits either bus. I'm guessing you have Bryant because you mentioned the colors.

PS The "BR" is for Bryant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BR series.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	365373  
__________________
Brian, 2011 Winnebago Via Class A on Sprinter Chassis
Tucson, AZ
https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/1040577.png
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Here's a chart that shows the interchangeability between circuit breaker companies.

https://www.relectric.com/blog/2019/...terchangeable/
Those are actually "Classified Breakers" which are manufactured by one company and listed to be installed in another companies panel. They are not accepted everywhere and even if the manufacturing "A" company approved it for use in company "B" panel, company "B" has to approve it for use in their panel and not all do. Our local inspection department does not accept them.
__________________
Brian, 2011 Winnebago Via Class A on Sprinter Chassis
Tucson, AZ
https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/1040577.png
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:15 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Country Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Brenham, Texas
Posts: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Note that the replacement Eaton brand will not have colored handles, that was unique to Bryant. Cutler Hammer bought Bryant then Cutler Hammer was bought by Eaton. Again, if you have a notched bus the CTL will fit and is cheaper than the non-CTL which fits either bus. I'm guessing you have Bryant because you mentioned the colors.

PS The "BR" is for Bryant.
When I needed an extra breaker in our previous coach, I removed one and took it to a local electrical supply house. They didnít have it in stock but was available to get it for me the next morning.
__________________
Eddie and Jomaye, Retired
2018 Newmar Ventana 4369
2021 Jeep 4 dr Wrangler
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,237
Here are pics of a bus, the top stabs are not notched and will only accept the non-ctl, the ones in the yellow squares are notched and will accept either.

Note the back of the breakers, CTL on left and non-ctl on right.

Please post a picture of your breakers so we can be sure. I misread "code" for "color" in your OP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bus.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	365376   Click image for larger version

Name:	ctl vs non.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	365377  

__________________
Brian, 2011 Winnebago Via Class A on Sprinter Chassis
Tucson, AZ
https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/1040577.png
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:26 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 11
Here's a pic of the box - the 30 /20 is on the left - Thank you!

Here's a pic of the box - the 30 /20 is on the left - Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	365379   Click image for larger version

Name:	breakers.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	365380  

__________________
2004 Fleetwood Flair 33R
WonderWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:40 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 11
Seems like this would work -- thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderWander View Post
Here's a pic of the box - the 30 /20 is on the left - Thank you!

https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-Q2030...s%2C643&sr=1-1
__________________
2004 Fleetwood Flair 33R
WonderWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:04 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderWander View Post
Here's a pic of the box - the 30 /20 is on the left - Thank you!
Even though the box is a PowerTek it has a ITE-Siemans bus and as shown in the post above Siemans breakers are still readily available everywhere. The CTL and Non-CTL still applies and looks exactly the same as the Eaton pics I posted. Yours is marked CTL on the label but the bus is probably notched as in the case of a CTL class panelboard that only means it cannot accept more than 42 circuits, and yours is limited by the size of the bus even when notched so it's a moot point. So yes, the above linked breaker would work. Home Depot sells them as well.
__________________
Brian, 2011 Winnebago Via Class A on Sprinter Chassis
Tucson, AZ
https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/1040577.png
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:42 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 25,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Even though the box is a PowerTek it has a ITE-Siemans bus and as shown in the post above Siemans breakers are still readily available everywhere. The CTL and Non-CTL still applies and looks exactly the same as the Eaton pics I posted. Yours is marked CTL on the label but the bus is probably notched as in the case of a CTL class panelboard that only means it cannot accept more than 42 circuits, and yours is limited by the size of the bus even when notched so it's a moot point. So yes, the above linked breaker would work. Home Depot sells them as well.
Nice to have a sparky around when needed.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:05 PM   #13
Senior Member


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,929
Hmm... The breaker in post #10 is a 20-30. Doesn't the OP want a 30-20, such as the Siemens Q3020, examples here and here?

Using a 20-30 would require swapping the wires and labels between positions 1 and 2. Using a 30-20 would not require either of those swaps.

At least, that's what my simple thinking tells me. I could be incorrect. It happens more often each day.
__________________
Mark
2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F-53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:16 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Hmm... The breaker in post #10 is a 20-30. Doesn't the OP want a 30-20, such as the Siemens Q3020, examples here and here?

Using a 20-30 would require swapping the wires and labels between positions 1 and 2. Using a 30-20 would not require either of those swaps.

At least, that's what my simple thinking tells me. I could be incorrect. It happens more often each day.
Hi, thanks for chiming in!
I noticed that as well and had actually spoken to recpro but they were out of stock.
I ordered the one below.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The only difference I noticed in the specs is that the new one says "Issue N-20" vs the old one shows as "Issue N-21"
I'm not sure what "issue" means with regard to compatibility though.
Do you think I'll be okay with the one I ordered? Thank you!
__________________
2004 Fleetwood Flair 33R
WonderWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ace, breaker, replace, replacement



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RV Breaker or Park Breaker kmburns49 RV Systems & Appliances 14 11-14-2021 07:52 AM
"lights" circuit breaker on breaker panel...help sinjineer Newmar Owner's Forum 12 12-08-2018 05:11 PM
Breaker off causes "Brown out" and water/engine heater breaker reversed. cruizerEd Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 4 09-11-2016 06:32 PM
Breaker Breaker hibypass Newmar Owner's Forum 6 08-26-2015 08:58 AM
No breaker on Post - Can I use RV breaker instead? RichK MH-General Discussions & Problems 14 05-11-2012 10:14 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.