RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #29

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1500w 240v element would be 750w at 120v (NOT 375)
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 09:45 AM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
There are many voltage-drop calculators on the net. When plugging in your values, use 120volts. Even though 50amp rigs are plugged into standard 120/240 volt receptacles, the loads are only 120 volts.
Not necessarily. My rig has a 240 volt dryer as do many of the higher end rigs.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #31

Edge68474--to your specific question....This electrical stuff can be dangerous for us non-professionals. However, based on your description, the 30 amp breaker is probably used as the main feed to the box in your shed [some boxes don't have main lugs to connect the feed wires so a breaker is used--typical in may RVs with inverters]. So you probably have a main feed breaker at 30 amps to supply the box, and two 20 amp breakers are to power two outgoing circuits.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #32

30 amp cord ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not necessarily. My rig has a 240 volt dryer as do many of the higher end rigs.

Yeah, there are some... but didnít want to bring that into the discussion because it is another variable to confuse.

The voltage drop calcs get more complex too because of the mixture of 240 and 120 loads.

If you use 120 volts in all calculations (in this RV context), you canít go wrong when sizing conductors.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittydos View Post
Most if not all duplex outlets in a home and garage do not accommodate a plug that has a sideways blade contact. If you had some control when your house is being built you could possibly request a double 20 amp duplex outlet if you can find any. For the most part you would have to settle for a single 20 amp plug either one sideways prong. To be one St with you I don’t recall seeing any duplex 20 amp plugs in my Home Depot in Lake Elsinore Calif..
Then you will probably have to go to a commercial electrical outlet store to find a cord with 20 amp ends. Now you have reached the Motorhome or trailer you need a 30amp to 20 amp adapter, which I have never seen the ones available are 30 to 15. If you were to. Buy a pigtail style adapter you void cut off the 15 amp end and put on a twenty vamp male plug. You still have to contend with line voltage loss the longer you have to run the supply line cord. I would estimate that with the very best senario if you start with 20 amp all throughout the voltage on a 25’ extension cord you will probably drop from 115 volts to maybe 109 volts which is the minimum voltage for a 13.5 Air Conditioner . But once the compressor kicks in you are going to drop below 109 volts and if you persist you will burn up the compressor or melt a plug somewhere or trip a new 20 amp breaker in your house. Bottom line you cannot defeat the nature of the Pi equation in
Electricity. I have never recommended, in my 45 years as an RV Tech, any extension cords when plugging into your home.
People say they can run their A/C on their rig when plugged into their Home. That is possibly true until it gets 100 degrees outside and it’s 125 inside your coach. At that point you are dealing with high head temperature on the compressor and you will get even more drag in
Amperage. As they say when the amperage goes up the voltage goes down. Sorry for rambling but you folks need to understand the facts if you don’t want to be disappointed.
Your previous statement,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittydos View Post
The whole problem is if you are plugged into a 20 amp duplex outlet and are only using one of the two plugs you will only safely draw 15 Amps
is what prompted me to reply. I was simply disagreeing with your statement that a 20 amp duplex can only provide 15 amps of service via one of its plugs. Didn't mean to get into a debate about anything else.

I never mentioned anything about what the average home's wiring consists of or what needs to be done to make a 20 amp extension cord. Also, i never said anything about trying to run a rooftop unit on a 20 amp circuit or light duty extension cord.

And by the way, type in 20 amp duplex and you'll be bombarded with links and images.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Edge68474--to your specific question....This electrical stuff can be dangerous for us non-professionals. However, based on your description, the 30 amp breaker is probably used as the main feed to the box in your shed [some boxes don't have main lugs to connect the feed wires so a breaker is used--typical in may RVs with inverters]. So you probably have a main feed breaker at 30 amps to supply the box, and two 20 amp breakers are to power two outgoing circuits.

I will relook at that, thank you. Never too old to learn something.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote