Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #1

30 amp vs. 50 amp

I have a 1996 Winnebago Adventurer with 2 ac units. I can run 1 unit on 30 amp shore power or both units with generator running. Can I adapt my 30 amp plug to a 50 amp plug and plug into 50 amp shore power without causing any damage. This should allow mw to run both ac units when pluged into shore power, right?
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If I understand your question correctly I believe the answer is no.

50 amp service is actually two separate 50 amp circuits delivered on two different legs. Your coach is probably wired for only one leg and protected with a 30 amp breaker.

I'm sure some of our experts will chime in with the technical details but I think it's not something you want to try.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Rich is right not a easy mod to make and not cheap either.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello joelem,

This is a common concern with 30 amp coaches. There are many threads here concerning adding a separate 20 amp line to power the a/c.
Here is the most recent thread

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/runni...er-116139.html

There was a company called Power Solutions that made a product called a dual power adapter, but they have gone out of business. It's not difficult to fabricate your own solution.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
50 amp is really 100 amp. It has two 50A lines (legs) coming into the MH. Your 30A coach has one 30A line.

To change over, you need a new 120v distribution panel, much new wiring, transfer switches and the list goes on....very expensive.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your rig is a 30 amp, then in the generator junction box is a power line that runs to the REAR (normally) air conditioner. You need to identify this lead.

Currently it runs something like this.

Generator------Line----A/C

You will "Break" the connection in the junction box and add a short run to an outlet box. IN many rigs it may be handy to mount this right next to the generator's J-Box. (But it is not necessary)

Remove the A/C line, the one that runs directly to the air conditioner with no stops or pauses. and route it to a single breaker box (20 amp) Many ways to do this.

Now feed that with a short Appliance type power cord, they make them in 12ga, heavy duty, you can get 'em at the hardware store.

Plug into the outlet if you want "Normal"

If you are wanting to run both A/C's on a 30 amp post, plug the rig in normal, as I'm plugged in now, and unplug the A/C from it's dedicated outlet,, Plug it into a 12ga Extension cord (I like the ones from Sears or K-Mart with the lock-on outlet end)

NOTE 12 ga extension cord, NOT 16ga

Plug that into the 20 amp outlet on the pedistal.

NOTE you move all 3 wires, HOT, Neutral and Safety ground when you do this.. That way the rear A/C is like a different RV, No common anytthing with the rest of the house... Thus the GFCI on the 20 amp outlet...... Is not upset.

As I said. This is how I'm keeping cool as I type this save for one small change.

I'm in a 50 amp motor home.. So instead of breaking the circuit at the generator J-Box.. I "Broke" it at the main breaker box.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
As I said. This is how I'm keeping cool as I type this save for one small change.

I'm in a 50 amp motor home.. So instead of breaking the circuit at the generator J-Box.. I "Broke" it at the main breaker box.
wa8yxm,

Can you tell us why a 50 amp rig would need this mod done

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
He's on a 30amp pedestal?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
They have a single 50 (fake 50) made up of 1-30a for the coach and 1 AC and separate circuit 1-20 for #2AC fed from an extension cord apparantly from the same pedistal which has at least a 30 and 20 outlet. Thats my understanding from their comments.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If your coach is 30 amps, that is all the wiring and breakers are rated. So plugging into a 50 with an adapter,,,,,buys you nothing. Some times in the summer, running off a 50 amp will let you pick up a few volts if the park is having power problems.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder where the OP is in this discussion?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some post a question and never bother to thank anyone for the help.....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO
I wonder where the OP is in this discussion?

Rick
I would assume shaking his head someplace like most new OPs bombarded with technical info they don't understand. We all try to help, but many fail to properly evaluate the OPs knowledge and then get on our own tangents. The forum is great, but the written word is pretty lousey for good communication. IMHO
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #14

I apologize for not being more involved. I appreciate all the responses. I have been out of my office and away from a computer. I just thought that maybe since my generator is 5.5 that a 50 amp. input may work. Not the first time I have been wrong. Thanks, Again
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote