RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We've done so on three different coaches now, no issues with any of them

The first was a gas coach, two A/C units and the ability to run the fridge and water heater on propane. If we wanted to use the microwave we'd shut one off.

Last two coaches are all electric. I just let the EMS take care of it.

All the had/have the Progressive Industries power monitoring add-on to protect against low voltage or power post issues.
2020 Jeep Wrangler toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 07:04 AM   #30

We always carry a y-adapter allowing us to use two 30a pedestals and combine them for our 50a coach. Works like a charm. You will also need a 30a extension cord, but it's worth the expense on hot summer days. Just ask the campground to put you somewhere that they can leave the lot next to you unoccupied. They may want to charge you a 50a rate if you do this.

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Cord-Adapt...62670149&psc=1
Old 06-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #31

Yes they are called cheater boxes. Lot of camp grounds will not allow you to use them. I have one and you are correct. They work really good with two 30 amp outlets.

I always worry about voltage in some of these places. Low voltage can ruin an electric motor faster then what a lot of people realize. Most of the time the circuit breaker will kick off, but a lot of times the damage has already been done.

My coach has big units with heat pumps and it will not run two air conditioners on 30 amp. My coach was designed for 50 amp and that is what I try to use most of the time. When only 30 amp is available I only will run one air conditioner, and if it is too hot, I will just drive off and go to another resort. Never have had to buy a unit yet that is combo air and heat, but I imagine they are not cheap.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:25 PM   #32

I never thought about it until now. I have a progressive industries surge protector that also protects from under voltage as well. Can I use that with the 30A pedestal? I guess the 30 adapter would go on the pole, surge protector into adapter then 50A cord into surge protector
critterair2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterair2 View Post
I never thought about it until now. I have a progressive industries surge protector that also protects from under voltage as well. Can I use that with the 30A pedestal? I guess the 30 adapter would go on the pole, surge protector into adapter then 50A cord into surge protector

Yes you can use it with a 30 amp pigtail adaptor. I have one of those Progressive surge protector and if the voltage drops, it will turn the power off into your coach. It also will protect against pedestals that are not wired correct, and you would be surprised how many are wired wrong. I use the 50 amp-55-2757 SSP. I think at the time I paid like $125.00. Every RVer should carry on of those surge protectors from Progressive. You can get some that are a lot more expensive, but the one I got gives me the protection I needed.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #34

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by critterair2 View Post
Coach has 50A service but on our 5 week planned trip we have one CG that only has 30A service. We have 2 AC units 13,500 each. Hot water heater I can run off propane. Will 30A run both AC units at the sane time? Only other draw would be tv's. We can deal w/o microwave for one night if we need to or shut off one AC unit while micro is in use.
We do it all the time, but also have an EMS, which you should have to shed any extra's and for keeping the Breakers on. Once the amperage goes back down to an acceptable level, things that were shed, come back on.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote