Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #1

Question 33` Handling

Looking at a 33 DP that has been well cared for. Space is comfortable and meets our needs. Wheelbase to length ratio is 48%. I have driven it a few miles and it seems to handle well and ride is ok. My main concern woud be in a panic situation whether it would have a tendency to roll or otherwise lose control.
This coach has been on the market for at least since spring and I wonder if
others have a hesitancy to buy, because of safety issues related to control. Price has been reduced and now would be a good time to buy.
I have come to appreciate the collective wisdom on this site and look forward to your counsel.
gilcolog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #2

I recently purchased a 35' DP and it drives very good. You might share more information and a person with the same DP might speak up.
JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilcolog View Post
Looking at a 33 DP that has been well cared for. Space is comfortable and meets our needs. Wheelbase to length ratio is 48%. I have driven it a few miles and it seems to handle well and ride is ok. My main concern woud be in a panic situation whether it would have a tendency to roll or otherwise lose control. ...........
gilcolog, it's gratifying to know you've done enough research to even check on the W/L ratio. Well done! You say "...I have driven it a few miles and it seems to handle well and ride is ok...". A test drive of few miles in the right conditions can sometimes tell a lot, but with a 48% W/L the likelihood is that a lot of trucks passing on the highway, or windy days, will be an adventure. The saving factor may be that it's a DP, so the chassis will be substantially heavier and the suspension inherently more robust.

Good Luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:03 PM   #4

with the right weight distribution, proper tire pressure and a steering stabilizer and a trim unit it will drive awesome... we love the tight turning radius and our 34' DP. The added Safe T plus and trim unit was a big help. Most of the weight on our coach is low so the center of gravity is as good as it gets... but yes, ours do get pushed around at very high winds (its not a tag axle), passing semi... not so much.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:24 AM   #5

I have a 33' TropiCal DP that I have some handling issues with so I'm most interested in this thread.

I had new tires installed a year ago plus had full alignment. Didn't like the windy days on our 4k trip last winter. Notice that I'm getting, what I'd call, toe-in ware on the front tires. I'm going to have tires rotated and aligned at another shop soon. I've also looked into stabilizers.

Never heard of the "Wheelbase to length ratio is 48%".

Robby
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby W. View Post
Never heard of the "Wheelbase to length ratio is 48%".

Robby
Wheel base divided by total length. So the WB is 48% of the total length leaving a lot of MH behind the rear wheels. That can lead to a lot of tail wagging the dog. I've read the number you want is 53% or greater.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Since it is a diesel pusher, it seems doubtful that the rear overhang is all that excessive. With the weight of the diesel at the back, they rarely design them with much overhang. Therefore the overhang is probably split between front and rear. Still more than desirable, though.

Guessing at the numbers, a 33 foot coach with a 48% ratio would mean a 190" wheelbase. That's really short for a DP chassis and I wasn't even aware that any DP chassis were made that short. Even the older 32 ft Tiffin DPs had a 196" wheelbase (they handled OK, but that's a 51% ratio)).

So what coach are we talking about? And what brand of chassis?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #8

33` handling

The more overhang behind the rear axle, the less stable it will be. At 48% there is more vehicle BEHIND the rear axle than there is in front of it. Not good. You're going to get a lot of "the tail wagging the dog" syndrome. It won't be a pleasant driving experience in cross winds.

Our Mandalay is built on a 276" wheelbase and is 498" long. That works out to 55.4% and it drives like a dream. Very stable and easy to handle in windy conditions.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
At 48% there is more vehicle BEHIND the rear axle than there is in front of it
Isn't there some overhang on the front too?
Old 08-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #10

Good point, Gary.

Yes, there is a bit of overhang at the front. Perhaps my "more behind than in front" statement isn't quite correct...but it's close.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #11

This is a Monaco Knight with Roadmaster chassis. W/b is 188"
gilcolog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Is that one of the 2002-2004 R4R or RR4R chassis that had the trailing arm problem & recall? If so, make sure it has been fixed. More info here:
Serious Problem On Some Monaco, Holiday Rambler & Safari Chassis - Chassis - FMCA Motorhome Forums

I guess I would be worried too. That is an awfully short wheelbase, and it's a minimal-design chassis to begin with. That version of the Roadmaster is nowhere near as good as it's RR8R brothers. Don't know that it is a disaster waiting to happen, but it's not the greatest either.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #13

My Tropical DP is 406" long / 193" wheel base =.47536% and I do have tail wag on windy days. Now what?
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Buy a different coach.

There really isn't much to be done. You can maybe add stiffer anti-sway (anti-roll) bars, but that's just a band aid.