Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2023, 05:58 PM   #1

330 Caterpillar diesel in a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star

I have looked and looked to find a model number for the caterpillar engine in our motorhome. It is a 330 Caterpillar Diesel engine in a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star class A motorhome. It has been well cared for. I need an owners manual so I can read up on the engine and know what to do and when for servicing, etc.....any suggestions on the model number for the engine and how to obtain a service/owners manual. Unfortunately the previous owner of the motorhome did not leave any manuals behind.
ibcaughtup2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2023, 06:01 PM   #2

There is also a small exhaust pipe on the passengers side coming from underneath the motorhome, that when the engine gets warmed up seems to have a small bit of white smoke almost non noticeable coming out. First of all the diesel engine does not blow any smoke accept when I do not let it warm up but that is normal I think, a little black smoke accelerating on a cold engine. with that said what is this little exhaust pipe and where is this smoke coming from, it also seems to have a little oil gunk build up on the outside of the pipe
ibcaughtup2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:24 PM   #3

I am not sure by any means, but being 330 hp it is likely a 3126, or a C7. If you are referring to the pipe that is sticking straight down, then it is likely the slobber tube, and a little puff of air and a drip of oil is normal
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:39 PM   #4

Welcome to iRV2.

By 2005 the engine should be a C-7 : BUT : depending on the chassis production date it could be a 3126E .

If the chassis is a Freightliner , and the engine valve cover is not clearly marked , a call to the Freightliner help line with the chassis serial number will provide the answer,

1-800-385-4357
Old 01-26-2023, 06:49 PM   #5

I think the odds of it being anything but a C-7 are pretty low. If you are not inclined to become a diesel mechanic then just get on line and find the closest Cat Diesel truck service place. They will welcome you as a friend and most are 24 x 7 operations. Speaking as an owner you will not win speed races with that motor but they are highly respected and dependable. It's still powering a lot of buses, tractors and heavy equipment. I broke bread with a Canadian guy last year that spent his whole life in the Arctic running heavy equipment and he said the Cat motor left in its stock configuration will outlast us all.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcaughtup2u View Post
I have looked and looked to find a model number for the caterpillar engine in our motorhome. It is a 330 Caterpillar Diesel engine in a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star class A motorhome. It has been well cared for. I need an owners manual so I can read up on the engine and know what to do and when for servicing, etc.....any suggestions on the model number for the engine and how to obtain a service/owners manual. Unfortunately the previous owner of the motorhome did not leave any manuals behind.
I have a 2005 KSDP as well. This picture will give you some helpful information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220702_181233.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	385096  
54chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcaughtup2u View Post
ibcaughtup2u,
I'd bet dollars to donuts it's a 330HP C-7. My '04 Itasca Horizon has a Freightliner Chassis Production date of 10/03 and a coach build date of 11/03 and is labeled as an '04. Mine is one of the first C-7's to be in that era. The 3126's were pretty much all finished being supplied by that time frame. So, If yours is labeled as an '05, I'd almost bet for sure it's a C-7 but, no guaranty.

Your engine number is located in various places. One is impossible to see and that's on a plate, on the front of the engine, right where the fan is. Yep, tough to find there. A second place is stamped into the engine block, on the upper side of the lip for the oil pan, on the driver side, near the bell housing. You need a mirror and a flashlight to see it but, it's there. A possible third place is on a plate, attached to the firewall, on the passenger side, near some of the A/C components.

And on mine, as shown in the picture, it's labeled right on the valve cover.

Now, as far as that little "exhaust pipe" you're speaking of, it's a blow-by tube. Those are crank case gasses you're seeing being expelled from there. Not a big deal unless it's excessive. If you have the C-7 like I think you have, one thing that's vitally important is in those engines is, you need to make sure EXACTLY 19 QUARTS OF OIL in it, total! And that includes the filter. You obviously can't confirm what's in there now unless you're the one that changed the oil last. But, in the future, just make sure you put only 19 Quarts in it. And once you've done that, then mark the dip stick "full" at that point, if it hasn't already been done.

If you have more than the 19 quarts, what happens with those engines is, things begin to foam up and it will produce too much crank case gasses and that will result in an overly excessive amount of oil film being expelled from that little "exhaust pipe) Blow-by tube and that will mean a big mess on your toad.

I've done a ton of maintenance and some heavier stuff on our C-7 so, if you need any info, please be sure to PM me or just ask.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1130.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	385100   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1203.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	385101  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Here are the Freightliner chassis specs for a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star. It was available with either a Cummins ISM or Cat C7. Sometimes the RV builder (Newmar) changes chassis specs partway thru the production year, but mostly these spec sheets from FCCC are accurate. And you can always call them and give the last 6 digits of the chassis VIN and get the exact data for that chassis. 1-800-FTL-HELP

https://cdn.fccchq.com/specsheets/5b...untry-Star.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Here are the Freightliner chassis specs for a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star. It was available with either a Cummins ISM or Cat C7.

https://cdn.fccchq.com/specsheets/5b...untry-Star.pdf
Gary,

CAREFUL, you could generate a lot of "engine envy"

ISB or C7 yes. And, the C7 is larger, more HP and more torque.

ISM-- 500 HP not so much. But it would leap tall grades at high speeds-- see the topic " https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/how-...ed-603166.html Yes, some feel they need to be able to climb a 7% grade at 70 MPH??????

And, for those who do "need" that kind of power/weight, go find a late 1990's no slide 36' Foretravel 320 that DOES have the ISM engine!
Old 01-28-2023, 02:54 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It was available with either a Cummins ISM or Cat C7.

Oops! My bad! That should be an ISB or C7. Yeah, a Kountry Star with an ISM would be a rocket ship.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:59 PM   #11

Gary,

Yes, the "need to keep up with the cars/I have no idea how to drive a heavy vehicle" would love it.

That is until they pay for the $30k plus drivetrain upgrade and 1.5X cost of driveline maintenance.

And, even then..................
Old 01-29-2023, 09:45 PM   #12

I have had both the 3126B in 330 hp and the C7 in 350 hp in two 40' Journey motorhomes, pre-emissons. This is an excellent engine. I had no issues with either one. Plenty of power and torque for me. We even towed a Dodge Dakota extended cab 4x4 with no issues.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:31 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my 3126b,it was mounted on the top of the valve cover,there is also a spec number,,once you have that call Cat,yours should be A C7,but the specs are in the spec number c I have also seen I r on the the side of the valve cover,easier to take a picture from underneath to get the info. Any Caterpillar distributor can order that for you.
monte hersh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, caterpillar, diesel, newmar