Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2019, 04:55 PM   #1

<35', Bunks, 50A = My perfect MH, but I can't find it!!!

Hi all,

So the GOOD news is that I've talked my wife into an upgrade from our starter motorhome (2004 Hurricane 33SL).

The BAD news is that I know exactly what I want but I can't find it. Hoping that someone has a suggestion or two. I'm in Southern California, by the way, which means generally there is an excellent selection. But still, here we are.

Here are my criteria:

1) 35' or less - I'd like to be able to fit into some of the state and national parks. I know that many parks won't fit 35' but I'm willing to miss a few if it means I get the other things I want.

2) Bunkhouse floorplan - I have two boys 8 and 9 and I really want bunks. I've read some excellent threads here and my takeaway is that people who have bunks really like them AND they are great storage even if you're not using them AND resale is good because bunkhouse is rare (hence why I can't find what I want).

3) 50A service - My Hurricane has two ACs and 30A service which is just about the dumbest thing ever. Since I'm looking at 30'+ I know I'll have two ACs so I'm not putting up with only using one at a time on shore power.

4) Big tanks - I like big tanks and I cannot lie. I dry camp here and there and I'd like to be able to go at least 3+ days.

5) 2012 or newer - If I'm going to upgrade, I'd like it to feel relatively new. Yes I'm sorta shallow.

So far I have looked at the following:

1) ~2015 Coachman Mirada 35BH - Two dump hookups is a deal breaker for me. It really surprises me that they don't tie the two bathrooms together. Who wants to dump TWICE every time??

2) ~2016+ Winnebago Vista/Sunstar 31BE - This is the closest but it looks like 50A is an option and I'm having trouble shopping online figuring out which ones have it which don't. I really want this to work because I saw one in person yesterday and really like a lot about it. Fit and finish excellent. And thoughtful stuff like putting the generator exhaust out the back (instead of below my living room window like the Hurricane).

3) ~2014 Bounder Classic 34B - This is also very close BUT it has very small tanks for a big coach. 50 gallons fresh, 40 grey, 30 black. My Hurricane has more all around.

4) Allegro 35QBA - A little on the large side and the interiors I've seen are ugly. No offense to current owners. Totally subjective.

Thanks for reading and for any help you can offer!

-Adam.
agershon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Winnebago 35-J, '08. Have had it since new- very solidly built...sleeps 8 to 10. Black: 44, grey: 48, fresh: 75. That's enough for us. We looked at the QBA and many more before we bought. With everything considered the 'bago was best. There was a close 2nd with a Monaco too- they had a bunk version also that was really nice and would have been a slight bit cheaper. It was a hard decision, but here we are 11 years later and still happy. I believe the Tiffin is the only offering that remains now in a bunk model you're looking for...and it would be a great choice. JMHO- the front cap on those looked alot better in 2012 and earlier as well.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #3

Pertaining to the Vista, I believe (and others will have to correct me if I'm wrong), they are all 30 amp. However, there are certain floor plans of the Vista LX that have 50 amp.

The bunk model in the Vista LX is the 35B and does have 50 amp service but it is a hair over 36' in length.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Pertaining to the Vista, I believe (and others will have to correct me if I'm wrong), they are all 30 amp. However, there are certain floor plans of the Vista LX that have 50 amp.

The bunk model in the Vista LX is the 35B and does have 50 amp service but it is a hair over 36' in length.
I believe you’re right. Perhaps it’s only an option on the LX.

And the 35B has a second bathroom which IIRC has the second dump connection so it’s out.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #5

Newmar Bay Star 3419 is 34'11". Newmar quality is in the same league as Tiffin. I believe this is the first year for this model.
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #6

I think John ^ may have hit the nail on the head and found your next coach .

The Newmar Baystar 3419 from what I can gather just looking quickly, has:

* Bunks

* 34.92' length

* 50 Amp

* And holding tanks that are pretty close to the Vista ...I'd give the nod to the Baystar:

Newmar Baystar 3419: 75 gallon fresh, 60 gallon gray, 40 gallon black

Winnebago Vista 31BE: 70 gallon fresh, 59 gallon gray, 43 gallon black
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #7
WDW

We have a Mirada and the two tanks are not an issue especially since we put a Sani Con on the forward tank. Many great features, decent price point. We’ve done a TON of upgrades.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #8

Look at the Thor Pallazo line they have the 33.5 which has bunks and seems to fit your needs. That’s the same criteria I have also.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCGibson View Post
Newmar Bay Star 3419 is 34'11". Newmar quality is in the same league as Tiffin. I believe this is the first year for this model.
OMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I think John ^ may have hit the nail on the head and found your next coach .
He sure as heck did. I failed to mention my 6th criterion: price. $160k is out of my price range. Maybe I'll wait 6 months and someone will trade theirs in ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
We have a Mirada and the two tanks are not an issue especially since we put a Sani Con on the forward tank. Many great features, decent price point. We’ve done a TON of upgrades.
So how does it work in practice though? I picture myself yelling at my family "don't use the back bathroom!!" so I don't have to empty that one at the next stop. You still have to do two separate dumps right?

I'm definitely installing at Sani Con on whatever I buy.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #10

I love my 31be Winnie, not sure if it has a 50 amp option, it didn’t in 2016 when I bought mine. One AC has been less of an issue than I thought it would, but buying new now I would look real hard at Newmar mainly for their insulation and build quality. The 3419 is a new floor plan and top of my list, look for a 3004 that was the older one there was a longer 35 ft model too. That’s the problem with Newmar they change he floor plans so often it’s hard to search for something based in current floor plan numbers, they are meaningless past a couple years. Then you look at something like a discovery 40g bunk plan that’s been around for more than 10 years it’s easy to find used.

Thor actually came up with the floor pan Winnie copied in the 31be with the ACE 30.2 it def has 50 amp option now bit not when I was looking, plenty of them out there though. The short bunk plan was really started with ACE, before that most bunks where 35+ feet.

I almost went with a Palazzo 33.3 now 33.5 smallest diesel bunkhouse but my Winnie was a lot cheaper and has a lot more storage and the ground clearance is extremely low on the Palazzo not sure I could get into places I have with the gasser.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #11

We also wanted everything you did on your list. We purchased a Fleetwood Southwind new this last October. We travel with 2 teen kids. We have 6 individual sleeping areas - master bed, 2 bunks, jack knife couch, dinette bed, and BIG drop down bunk that's over the drivers and passengers seat. So enough room and extras to bring friends. Two FULL baths with two showers.... you dont know how great that is till you have it! Add to that unlimited, almost instant hot water. Separate tv next to bunks that has video game hookups for the kids. And see below picture for the massive tanks. All the modern and new features like induction cooktop, under coach lighting, cell and wifi booster, 5 tv's and so much more. I have RV'ed all of the lower 48 states and into Canada multiple times and have never had length problems in this one or my last 36 ft Bounder. I just wanted to be 40 ft or under as my RV garage is 41 1/2 ft total length inside. If you can loose your length restriction I feel the Southwind 37F is an awesome family RV and have been completely satisfied with my last Fleetwood so much that I bought another one.

Good luck, and whatever you get, I hope it brings your family as much enjoyment as we have had with ours!

Edit: I saw a previous post about budget, so like you said maybe someone trades one in or a last year model? I just checked the Fleetwood website and they have a Bounder model 36F with bunks and two full baths too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2682.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	550.0 KB
ID:	241419  
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:52 PM   #12

Before signing off for the evening, just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone's input so far. Definitely opened up more possibilities for me. At this point I'll:

-Put the Mirada 35BH back on my list and think more about whether having two sets of waste tanks is actually a deal breaker.
-Keep an eye out for a used Newmar. There look to be a couple older models that have bunks (3004, 3306, 3310)
-Look further into used Southwind and Bounder
Old 04-10-2019, 04:17 AM   #13

I'll just add that we're very happy with our Newmar and if you can find a good used one i.e. well taken care of and serviced properly, you won't be disappointed. With your budget, you should be able to get a slightly used Bay Star or Canyon Star if those models have the bunk option you need.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by agershon View Post
Before signing off for the evening, just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone's input so far. Definitely opened up more possibilities for me. At this point I'll:

-Put the Mirada 35BH back on my list and think more about whether having two sets of waste tanks is actually a deal breaker.
-Keep an eye out for a used Newmar. There look to be a couple older models that have bunks (3004, 3306, 3310)
-Look further into used Southwind and Bounder
I have a class a with a bath and a half and two black tanks. Both black and grey dump from one location, you just have to open separate pull valves. No big deal at all, plus we love the half bath.
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote