Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #1

365/70 r22. michelin tires

I was thinking of upgrading to a larger tire for more capacity and have found these Michelin tires on national backorder with not available. I find it odd since the tire is oem to several brands and folks are buying motorhomes with these tires. I'm wondering if the switch would be wise because if one had a tire failure it could be sidelined for months. I also wonder if someone buys a coach or has this tire size that there so hard to find. Your thoughts?
Rod
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2015, 04:56 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
I know that mine is much older but 2 weeks ago I had New Michelin's - all 6 installed and upped from XRV's 255/80 R 22.5 to XZA3's 275/80 R 22.5 and they clear when the Air is Dumped. Best decision I made- Major improvement in Ride and Handling.
See this for size comparison as I did.
>Tire Size Calculator
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tires are produced in large batches at the factory and warehoused against future sales. Sometimes the forecast for sales volume is less than perfect and the warehouse runs out of a model/size before the next batch is made. Sizes and types used in motorhomes are a tiny percentage of the tire manufacturer's business, so they probably aren't going to disrupt the factory schedule to rush a new batch through. They might up the quantity on the next batch, but that doesn't help you now.

365/70 is a real oddball size, so almost sure to be hard to get and ultra expensive. I would avoid it unless it was the only solution for my needs.

Do you really need extra weight carrying capacity? Is there a higher load range available for your current size? Or another alternate that isn't the wide & low type? You only need enough weight-carrying capacity to meet or exceed your axle ratings. Exceeding the GAWRs by more than 10-15% is a waste of money - just capacity you can't use. Especially if your actual (scale weight) axle weights are significantly less than the GAWRs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #4

Hi Gary
I have 8630 on one tire and 8330 on the other. The 315s are good or 9090 lbs and the front suspension is rated at 18k. The bigger rubber would do two things for me. Give me a little more headroom for rated capacity and also allow me to reduce the air pressure to 105 from 130. There priced thru fmca at about the same price as a 315. Im hoping your right in that being backordered will get corrected.
Rod
Old 07-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
365/70 r22. michelin tires

Michelin will pay 100% of another brand or 70-75% off Michelin's since XRV's (not available) or any other Michelin.

Currently have 255/80R/22.5.

Suggestions?
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:03 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
That's a Deal- You need to Run at that.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
Hi Gary
I have 8630 on one tire and 8330 on the other. The 315s are good or 9090 lbs and the front suspension is rated at 18k. The bigger rubber would do two things for me. Give me a little more headroom for rated capacity and also allow me to reduce the air pressure to 105 from 130. There priced thru fmca at about the same price as a 315. Im hoping your right in that being backordered will get corrected.
Rod

Your 315s are most likely on 9" wide wheels. The 365/70s require 10.5" width wheels.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #8

The 365/70 tires are standard on the front and tag axles on Prevosts, and have been for a while. Also, many Prevost owners are switching to 365/70 tires for the same reasons given by the OP--perhaps that is part of the shortage. They are not as oddball as some may think.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #9

I put 365 on the Freightliner when I upgraded to 18000 lb front axle. You are right to run them at 105 and believe me the ride is so much better than the 315's were at 120 lbs. Talk to Michelin (head office)and and get a delivery date, that's what I did.
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #10

I have been communicating with Michelin by phone and email but so far have no information. I have wheels on there way. They were also out several weeks. Its great the economy is doing better it seems. Im not in a big hurry but I do like a solid plan. I posted the thread mostly to let people know what's going on if there thinking of doing the upgrade .
Rod
Old 07-19-2015, 12:01 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I couldn't find any tires 255/80 R22.5 I tried a number of ideas. I was told that all of the tires are going to the manufacturers because the RV market is so hot right now. Winnebago said they could get me some, but they wanted a fortune to put them on and I'd have to wait 3-4 months for an appointment. I've heard the dealers can get them from Winnebago?

I finally called FMCA and they gave me the number of four dealers close to me, a couple that I didn't know about and one of them had four, they said they would try to find me two more, they called two days later and found two, said he would honor the FMCA deal for all six tires, originally he thoughts he'd have to charge a premium for the extra two. I'm not sure on DOT dates, but at this point what choice do I have.

They get installed this next week, but I'll avoid Michelin on all other vehicles because of this "shortage" and I'll try to buy my next coach with a more standard size.

One other note - CampingWorld had them for almost $800/tire, I told them at that price they can rot on the shelf, they don't honor the FMCA or WIT programs.
pmgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The 365/70 tires are standard on the front and tag axles on Prevosts, and have been for a while. Also, many Prevost owners are switching to 365/70 tires for the same reasons given by the OP--perhaps that is part of the shortage. They are not as oddball as some may think.
Granted, but all the Prevosts on the highway are still just a drop in the bucket compared to common commercial truck sizes like 11R22.5 or the 295/75R22.5. Tire companies think in terms of hundreds of thousands of tires, not a few thousand here and there.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #13

I got an email from Michelin that the 365/70 will go into production the second week of august. Not sure how that equates to getting to the warehouse for distribution. I guess they should have fresh build dates.
Rod
Old 07-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
365/70 is a real oddball size, so almost sure to be hard to get and ultra expensive. I would avoid it unless it was the only solution for my needs.
Not really for high end MH's. All CC Magna's from 6986 (ours is 6999) came with that size as did all later Magna's and Affinities plus lots of Prevosts did also. But, that's still a drop in the bucket compared to class 8 truck usage.
As to price, they aren't much different than the 295/80's under the Advantage program.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires