Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2022, 06:40 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
3D Printing of RV body parts

I have a 04 Fleetwood with a wheel skirt that has a couple cracks. I had it in a shop to see if it could be plastic welded but they informed me it couldn't without making it look bad. I've attempted to find one at any of the RV junk yards but have been unsuccessful.
I was wondering if anyone has had any body parts on their RV manufactured via a 3D printer. I'm looking for any options there are to getting this fixed or replaced. I've contacted one business about it but yet to hear back on a price or if they can do it. Fleetwood gave me a PDF diagram of the part but the business was looking for a CAD drawing or similar if possible.
I'd be interested in hearing of anyone's experiences with this. Parts for motorhomes seem to become obsolete rather quickly and it doesn't make sense to throw away a perfectly good motorhome for lacking one part.
wabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2022, 06:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have you checked out these guys?
https://www.icondirect.com/lookup-our-skirts/
Old 11-27-2022, 10:58 PM   #3

There is IRV2 phone app. It makes super easy to post a pic. Use same name and password.
So they are plastic ?. Does skirt have wrinkly finish like trailer skirts. I've welded, heated to reshape and used special rubber bumper filler on autos . Hard plastic after repair could be filled with bondo, but hard to recreate a wrinkle finish if it is.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:00 AM   #4

Take the part to an auto body shop. Highly likely the best path is to repair what you have. I assume the skirt is a fiberglass part.
They just cut the cracks so the part lays flat again, then scuff up the back with heavy grit sandpaper, clean and refiberglass the backside. Body plastic on the front.
Prime and paint.
You would not "3D" print the part. Highly unlikely you will get the CAD files. And 3D printing filament is not the correct material for a body part.
It would take weeks to print a large piece as well.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:11 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
A boat shop may have fiberglass solutions.

With no prior experience, I was able to mend damage to our rear bumper caused by the boat trailer trying to pass the MH in 2013.

I used Bondo with some reinforcement fabric on the back side. Then painted then damage to blend with the undamaged fiberglass. The repair is still good.

I sprayed the 2 part automotive base coat using a $7 Preval Sprayer from Home Depot. Then used rattle can clear coat.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis 05 Jeep Wk
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:42 AM   #6

3D printing requires a 3D computer model. It is unlikely that any exist for older RV parts. If models existed, they would have been used for 5 axis milling of tooling to make composite parts. That method of producing tooling started happening in the 2005-2010 time period.
Your best bet is to repair the existing parts.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:10 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
So far I haven't heard anything from the company I send the file to for 3D. It is good to hear that there are those that have successfully repaired their coach parts. I'll be looking at the products suggested here and speak with a vehicle body shop. The part is plastic, not fiberglass but the back side is rough so should be a good surface to adhere substances to. Thank you everyone for your input.
wabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:22 PM   #8

Hate to tell you but your likely not going to get a CAD or any dimensional drawing from any RV manufacturers. Most 3D printer bases are small like a foot square.
Share a pic, you would likely get better help. Take pic of backside you describe as rough. I know many members have done paint and body, some even molded fiberglass parts.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:09 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Plastic Repair Putty

I missed the fact you have cracked plastic.

I also have not repaired such a crack except to fill a small crease in my car bumper.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-19991...827943&sr=8-10
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis 05 Jeep Wk
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:29 AM   #10

I have 2 sons that are mechanical engineers, and both use 3D printing extensively. I have no doubt that a 3D printed wheel skirt could be done, but it would likely be cost prohibitive. The right person could make a reasonable facsimile from your current skirt on CAD, but that would take an engineering-level education and significant time. The machine necessary to print something that big would cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, the material alone would be a few hundred dollars, and it would likely take days to print. Add all that up, and you're talking big bucks, IF you could find someone to do it.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts