Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rear Vue View Post
3M has a 5 year warranty on THEIR film to the original owner. The procedure is to remove a piece at least 1 inch sq and send it to 3m for analysis. Once they are certain that is is their film they will put you in touch with a local shop for removal & installation.
Correct. And, when the local shop guy shows up he will tell you that removing the film will most likely remove the paint and 3M will not cover the cost of any required repainting. So, now that you pulled off a 1" piece and have the repair guy all lined up, what next?

I demanded that 3M send out a local tech to remove the 1" piece. They did. When he saw the coach he advised me against taking the remove and replace route and suggested polishing instead. I used a good quality plastic polish (Meniguers sp?) with good results.

Unfortunately, some of the films I've seen would not benefit from polishing because they are so badly damaged. In that case, you'll have a difficult choice to make.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #16

Removing decal

I was in a paint store and asked about removing decals and they sold me a eraser disk that mounted into any drill. I tried it on a small spot and it seemed to work well. The decal rolled off and the gel coat seemed to not be damaged. I have tried heat gun and chemicals before but nothing worked as well as the eraser. The disk is made by Astro Pneumatic Tool Co and is about 4" in diameted and is the color of an old eraser. I do not know how long it will last but you can find it at

Search Results | National Tool Warehouse
JWoodham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do a earch on this site for "Diamond Shield" and read what others have done to remove this stuff. I removed my Diamond Shield myself which requires great patience as one ingredient. I did not use any heat. Good Luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed to save your paint.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #18

Try aerospace 303 does wonders
Ljgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
One of my clients I've been working with a lot lately is a high end detail shop. They do a lot of Ferarri's and other high $$ cars. I'll check with the owner and his brother to see how they remove it. I was there yesterday and the owner was showing me the differences between films. He considers 3M of lower quality and never uses on any cars he does. I'll post back with his recommendations.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
3M Film is JUNK!

If you want to see what it's going to look like after 11 years, I will post a photo.

Since I have been doing a trip to Alaska every two years to spend the summer with family I am in no hurry to replace it. However when I do, it will be with a product that is color coded to the scheme of the coach but looks similar to Tuff-Cote.

No more film on the front of my coach. And Bra's are even worse if you think that is the answer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #21

Some friends were shopping for a Class A a few weeks back and from a distance I saw a Monaco and the front end didn't look quite right. When I got closer, I realized the front appeared to have been painted with a bedliner type product. The color matched the motorhome even when the stripes, but it literally looked like crap. There was dirt embedded in the "bumps" and of course there was no shine. Sure a boulder will probably bounce off with no damage, but what a price to pay.

I like my "naked" front end, no 3M film. I'm sure in a few years it'll need a respray, but I'll probably trade by then anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
However when I do, it will be with a product that is color coded to the scheme of the coach but looks similar to Tuff-Cote.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #22

Just pull the film off any way you can and don't worry about the paint. When you get it off have the area sprayed with truck bed liner..Looks great, no maintenance, just soap it down and wash it off. Had mine done 7-8 years ago and it still looks like new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Assorted Family 010.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	440.8 KB
ID:	34090  
smith45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #23

I had good luck removing my Diamond Shield with sunlight, a plastic scraper and the recommend adhesive removal solution. Took a lot of time, but very little paint damaged. I guess my labor was worth about $5/hour, but I am happy with the results. I have seen a number of other successful removals where the owner was very careful. I have seen some done by "professionals" that required complete repainting. If you have the time and patience, then go for it. You will not likely mess it up more than a "professional". Think about it-the professional is charging maybe $1,200 for a job that he must complete in 8 hours in order to make wages and cover costs. It just takes much longer than that to save the paint. If you don't have the time, patience or hand strength to do it yourself, then budget for some paint repair, because it will be needed.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Some friends were shopping for a Class A a few weeks back and from a distance I saw a Monaco and the front end didn't look quite right. When I got closer, I realized the front appeared to have been painted with a bedliner type product. The color matched the motorhome even when the stripes, but it literally looked like crap. There was dirt embedded in the "bumps" and of course there was no shine. Sure a boulder will probably bounce off with no damage, but what a price to pay.

I like my "naked" front end, no 3M film. I'm sure in a few years it'll need a respray, but I'll probably trade by then anyway
Did it look like this one in the attached photos?

A member of the Monacoers Forum had this done to his coach just before he sold it. Iron Horse RV in San Antonio Texas offers this service.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front End Protection - Monaco-1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	34106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front End Protection - Monaco-2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	34108  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film

A member of the Monacoers Forum had this done to his coach just before he sold it. Iron Horse RV in San Antonio Texas offers this service.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard,

I'm with you! I've seen this also and it looks great. I did the deed last year and it took between 40-60 hours of my labor to get that stuff off. The paint is currently bare and only protected by a good coat of wax. It has made a year with no film and no big dings. In a few years, if the dings start to add up I will spring for this coating. The trade name of the one I saw was " Armour Coat".
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #26

If anyone's interested, I'll let you know how the factory pro's take the stuff off at the Tiffin factory. We ordered a new 2013 Allegro Bus WITHOUT THE DIAMOND SHIELD. Yes, I know Bob Tiffin is absolutely sold on the junk, but I removed it on our 2008 Bus when I couldn't repair the chips under the plastic. A tough, finger cramping job, and we did loose some paint, but it was well worth it. I can fix stone chips, but not under the plastic. Despite Tiffin's recommendation, I wanted it without, and Bob agreed to accept the order that way. Unfortunately, when we took delivery in January there was Diamond Shield on it, so it had to come off. We're at the plant now and it WILL be taken off. I'd be glad to pass along any tips I see when they get to it. By the way, we do use a bra on the front and have had no problems in 5 trips to Alaska and annual trips to the southwest spread over 3 different coaches. You have to keep it clean, but it protects the paint and takes less than 5 minutes toput on and a minute to take off.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #27

Nope, it was this one here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #28

Decals

Has anyone ever tried to clean up and paint over decals?
JWoodham is offline   Reply With Quote