Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
40' Class A Pulling A Trailer

I'd like to pull a car trailer behind our 40' DP so we'll have something to drive when we get where we're going. My question is how do you find a campground to stay in when you're 65' long? Most places we've been to so far here in the mountains in the Southeast just aren't big enough. We've had trouble at a couple places just being 40' with no trailer!!

I had thought about flat towing a vehicle behind our DP but I hear you can't back up with a vehicle attached that way so that kinda scares me. I've pulled car trailers for 30+ years and I'm very good at backing those up. Seems to me the trailer would be more feasible to drive but would create problems when you get where you're going due to length issues.

What do you guys with trailers do? Where do you stay? Do you ever have to take the trailer off so you can fit into a campsite?
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
For 7 years we pulled a 20' pickup behind a 41' motor home and now we are pulling it with a 43'. While travelling we never disconnect.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Prefacing my comments below.... Towing a vehicle 4-down is soooooooooooooooo easy. If I need to disconnect (to back into a campsite), it is no big deal. Disconnecting & positioning a trailer?.....big deal.

You, being a senior member, surely you know that reserving a "pull thru" site is the life you are about to commit to. You also state that most back-in sites can only handle 40 or perhaps 45 feet of rig. That's been my observation too.

Now, if your vehicle inside the trailer is not street legal (i.e., you're hauling a dragster around).......... Just kidding.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:35 PM   #4

Make sure the vehicle you are putting on the trailer has a hitch. At least you can move around the trailer if you have to. We traveled all over North America in a 40 ft pulling a car. Seldom if ever did we have to unhook the car. As long as you can connect the trailer to the tow vehicle, you can easily move it if you have to.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #5

We used to pull a 26' enclosed trailer and were 73' long. Only twice in three years did I have to stay at a Walmart because of no campground space. However, we never travel in the southeast or east. WI and west of the Mississippi has better accommodations for Big rigs. I agree that towing four down is an easy and convenient way to travel.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We used to pull a motorcycle inside a trailer with our motorhome. On the few occasions that we didn't have room for the motorcycle, trailer, and motorhome on our site (hard to believe but yes we did have that problem a few times) I would run the motorcycle back into the trailer when we returned to our site after being out for a ride. I've never trailered a car so I don't know how easy/hard that would be to do every time you went somewhere with your car.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:29 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Make sure the vehicle you are putting on the trailer has a hitch. At least you can move around the trailer if you have to. We traveled all over North America in a 40 ft pulling a car. Seldom if ever did we have to unhook the car. As long as you can connect the trailer to the tow vehicle, you can easily move it if you have to.
We use a car hauler behind our MH. Our Escape can pull the trailer so we can move the trailer if needed to unhook and maneuver. Certainly more work than flat towing but would rather put miles on the trailer Vs. our car when towing. Pull through sites are needed or we check with the RV park for "overflow/storage" parking prior to committing to making a reservation. So far no problems. We will see how it goes when we head west after Christmas.
Good luck and safe travels!

Cheers
Old 12-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #8

there have been a couple times when pulling my 20' car hauler I have to park the trailer in a separate area no big deal. other times I have been able to get a pull through site. if and when I don't have to have the trailer I will be getting something to tow 4 down, a lot lighter than the trailer
Old 12-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
there have been a couple times when pulling my 20' car hauler I have to park the trailer in a separate area no big deal. other times I have been able to get a pull through site. if and when I don't have to have the trailer I will be getting something to tow 4 down, a lot lighter than the trailer
towing the trailer with the car inside will also effect your gas milage and climbing steep grades towing an extra 3,000 lbs or so
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:48 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZRider800 View Post
I'd like to pull a car trailer behind our 40' DP so we'll have something to drive when we get where we're going. My question is how do you find a campground to stay in when you're 65' long? Most places we've been to so far here in the mountains in the Southeast just aren't big enough. We've had trouble at a couple places just being 40' with no trailer!!

I had thought about flat towing a vehicle behind our DP but I hear you can't back up with a vehicle attached that way so that kinda scares me. I've pulled car trailers for 30+ years and I'm very good at backing those up. Seems to me the trailer would be more feasible to drive but would create problems when you get where you're going due to length issues.

What do you guys with trailers do? Where do you stay? Do you ever have to take the trailer off so you can fit into a campsite?
You'll get plenty of discussion here and have already, but story short, four down is the way to go and you'll learn that sooner or later.
No you can't back up, but then again you can for a little ways, using a few tricks and a topic for another discussion. Other than those far and few, in between, you shouldn't have to, but just in case, you can always unhitch and connect back up. This we've done a couple of times over a period of years, but that's about it. For the most part, it's a no problema....
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:09 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I agree that towing four-down is the only way to go. In all the years we have been towing that way, I only had to back up once. GPS sent me down a road to nowhere where I couldn't turn around. Five minutes to disconnect and back out. Another couple of minutes to re-connect and go.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Another issue is - having to deal with the "empty" trailer once you unload the car..... Very few CG's have sites large enough for MH, trailer AND car.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Curtis.....sometimes we're forced to tow a certain way. It's a tough decision. Some people don't want or can't afford to buy a separate vehicle, just for RVing. Obviously, 4 down towing is the number one way to tow a vehicle, but that requires many to buy a specific car that is towable, yet works for their daily needs.....tough choice.

You say the flat towing scares you, especially since you can't back up.....you shouldn't be. When you get to a campground, you're not going to try and back the toad into a site, you disconnect at check in or in front of your site and then park the coach. Depending on space, I disconnect where it's most convenient. My wife then moves the toad to our campsite.

As you start towing a vehicle 4 down, you soon learn where you can turn and the type of places you can't get into or out of while towing. In 15 years of towing behind a DP, only once did I have to disconnect the toad, primarily because I didn't want to drive through some dirt. There are times you can back up a few feet. If the toad is directly behind my coach and the wheels are straight, I've backed up 3-4 feet so I can make a turn more easily.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
been towing a flat bed hauler now since 2009.
we have a vehicle that is four down towable, and last three also have been. for us there have been a few times where the trailer and its empty size was an issue..but they are far and few in between. only one cg asked us not to leave the trailer hooked up at the spot, and they provide a free secure area to store the trailer, since we were there for 2 weeks.
its just like everything else we do when rving...what ever you decide to use, you will find your rhythm for what works best.
personally the road rash and tailgaters, only serve to re-assure me the trailer is the best for ME.

i have been through 4 sets of tires, two sets of springs (upgrade), repaint and tie downs. still far less money than tires on the towed and towed is not getting miles on it. I know they say miles dont click on the towed...but tires, suspension still take a beating when its towed on the ground. on the trailer the vehicle rides smooth and may use the shocks a bit, but no where as much as rolling along.
as far as MPG...i get 7.5 empty or towing.
my trailer plus vehicle is 8400lbs.
i can back up, i can turn very sharp.

but the end is its YOUR decision, not mine or anyone here. Do what works for your happiness, because thats all that matters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leaving for san antonio (1).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	230157   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171214_135519.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	230158  

Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, trailer