Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2022, 04:55 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garebear4161 View Post
Can you tell us about the engine failure
Since we are this many pages in I also would love to know!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2022, 05:52 AM   #100

the one question in my mind that keeps popping up is why are all of these engines failing with usually less than 100K miles when the same engine in an over the road truck will run millions of miles with normal maintenance??
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:03 AM   #101
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
Used unhip a few years ago. No problem, great service.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:10 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
the one question in my mind that keeps popping up is why are all of these engines failing with usually less than 100K miles when the same engine in an over the road truck will run millions of miles with normal maintenance??
Yeah, my question too. But in my thread on the Ford V10 failing at 33k miles I was told this is the exception. There are millions of others running fine. Sorry, bad luck for you. Better chance of winning the lottery than that happening. And so on. I'm into my repair for $25k and still the engine is not running. I had a budget for a catastrophic failure. Maybe I overplanned for it. I was prepared but I didn't think I would ever have to really spend it. Heck the V10 is supposed to be bulletproof! It sure hurts spending that much money and having NOTHING to show for it. I was a lifelong Ford customer. 12 new Ford cars in my lifetime and one RV. Ford now couldn't care less. Not willing to help at all. So, I am done with Ford never to buy another from them that is for sure.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:56 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
0 and 5 weight oils maybe.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:53 AM   #104

I Gave up on Ford....never had one without problems!!!!
olddog1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:16 AM   #105

This coach has had meticulous maintenance its entire life. We are the original owners, but until my husband's recent retirement, we only had time for close to home weekend trips and usually one weeklong trip. Since last fall we have been on the road more than we've been home. Before leaving on this trip, every fluid was changed, and all belts and hoses were replaced. He has been reading up on people with similar problems with low-mileage, but older Cummins engines. Evidently this is not uncommon.

Thanks for the response. We are hoping the independent shop we found will get us back on the road soon.
BettyandJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:53 AM   #106

Blown engine

Sorry for your situation, that really sucks. I’m just curious what engine you have and what caused the failure because my RV is the same age with a 400 Cummins?
Wildbuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:00 AM   #107

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyandJoe View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! We contacted uship.com and received a quote. We gave them a deposit, but now the broker wants an even bigger deposit and doesn't want to take a credit card for the payment, only Paypal or a wire transfer. They will not give us any information on the actual hauler or an insurance certificate until we pay them thousands of dollars. This made us very cautious. A number of people have told us this must be a scam. We are very nervous about proceeding with them.
~~~~~~~~ U ship IS NOT GOOD COMPANY ~~~~~~~~~

I USED USHIP AND MY NEW TRAILER WAS STOLEN AND TRASHED -$70K
USHIP DID NOTHING AT ALL AND WOULD NOT EVEN HELP THE POLICE.

THEY ARE JUST A BROKER AND HAVE NO LABILITY .
IF SOMETHING HAPPENS USHIP WILL NOT DO ANYTHING !!!!!

YOU HAVE TO DO ALL YOUR HOME WORK ON THE "TRANSPORT COMPANY"
LICENSES INSURANCE BONDS GET COPYS OF ALL AND CALL AND VERIFY PERMITS AND DON'T FORGET CRIMINAL RECORD
JC 4018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:42 AM   #108

99% probability that this one is a scam.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #109

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblaura View Post
99% probability that this one is a scam.
And what might be there to gain by inventing this so-called scam?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:28 AM   #110

Tiffin Owners Club
It seems as though OP has found a solution, but for anyone who needs a transporter I warn you against using Coyote Express Group LLC headquartered in Mesa, Arizona. Their driver (an independent) damaged my 5th wheel. After numerous phone calls and emails with Coyote its principal, Jason Cleveland, quit returning my calls and messages and I was left to foot the repair bill myself. It was about $1,400.

I ended up using Horizon Transport, which did a great job.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:57 PM   #111

Paypal

I use paypal and sign in and charge paypal on my credit card, I don't use checking account. That way you can use credit card.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:30 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyandJoe View Post
For those of you suggesting we have it repaired in Utah, it had a catastrophic engine failure. We had it towed to the nearest Cummins Service Center in West Valley City, UT. Their quote to install a reman diesel engine is over $50,000. Our RV is a 2007 model. It is in excellent condition and only has 30,000 miles on it, but having said that, it's not worth enough to justify a $50,000 repair. Also, my husband is a diesel mechanic and we have our own shop. We can get a long block from Jasper Engines and he can do the installation himself, if we can just get the RV back to Maryland.
Wow...blown engine with just 30,000 miles...my sympathies. Any idea what could have caused the massive failure?
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine