Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2022, 01:47 AM   #1

40 foot Diesel Pusher Blown Engine-Need Transport

Our 40 ft class A diesel pusher broke down 2100 miles from home. We need to find a heavy-duty hauler that can transport it from Utah to Maryland.

Any suggestions?
BettyandJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2022, 03:29 AM   #2

www.usship.com is one source you can consider.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:46 AM   #3

www.rvshipping.shiplux.com is another source you can get a quote from.

Good luck with your endeavor and let is know whom you choose for future reference.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:47 AM   #4

I would think it will maybe cheaper depending on the failure and definitely easier to have it repaired out there and then drive it back after the repair.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:48 AM   #5
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Welcome to the forum.

I actually like the uShip concept. We used it once to get a bid that we later had a change of plans so didn't end up using any of the bids we received.

It's an auction site. You describe in detail what you want done and then various professionals bid and you can then review bids and choose the one you'd like or reject them all. There was a TV series on A&E based around the uShip auctions and business model called Shipping Wars that ran back in 2012 for a few years and revived last year ...Shipping Wars

Each person or company who bids will have a profile with ratings and reviews you can go over to see how satisfied others were who hired them. You can ask questions before making a choice and review qualifications, etc. We actually received a bid from one of the featured stars of Shipping Wars when the TV show was in its infancy (from this guy).

You may get a lot of bids or you may get none ...or you may get parties with great reputations bidding and some not so good so it's kind of hit and miss or feast or famine depending on the type of job requirements you've set, availability of the transporter, location and distance, etc.

While you're looking for other alternatives, it won't hurt to list your job on Uship to see what kinds of bids you'll get so you can compare with the quotes you've received on your own.

uShip - Recreational Vehicle Transport

eta: I too think it might be cheaper to have it repaired there and drive it back but I just suspected you have a good reason for wanting it transported in order to have it fixed at home.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I would think it will maybe cheaper depending on the failure and definitely easier to have it repaired out there and then drive it back after the repair.
When mine broke down in May of this year in rural Nebraska, I considered having it brought to Florida for repair. Cost and timing quickly changed my mind. $18,000 for the repair and so far $6000 in hotels and eating out. Maybe it will be repaired again this week. Maybe not. I gave up on hope.
It's a crap shoot. The tow cost was a lost cost. No real value in it and no way to recoup it. Not an easy decision in a difficult time, like mine, I am sure.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:31 AM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions! We contacted uship.com and received a quote. We gave them a deposit, but now the broker wants an even bigger deposit and doesn't want to take a credit card for the payment, only Paypal or a wire transfer. They will not give us any information on the actual hauler or an insurance certificate until we pay them thousands of dollars. This made us very cautious. A number of people have told us this must be a scam. We are very nervous about proceeding with them.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:38 AM   #8

For those of you suggesting we have it repaired in Utah, it had a catastrophic engine failure. We had it towed to the nearest Cummins Service Center in West Valley City, UT. Their quote to install a reman diesel engine is over $50,000. Our RV is a 2007 model. It is in excellent condition and only has 30,000 miles on it, but having said that, it's not worth enough to justify a $50,000 repair. Also, my husband is a diesel mechanic and we have our own shop. We can get a long block from Jasper Engines and he can do the installation himself, if we can just get the RV back to Maryland.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:40 AM   #9

Personally I’d go with your gut.
What is the rating of the contact?
What was the price? Too high or too low?
Limiting payment types is a big red flag.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyandJoe View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! We contacted uship.com and received a quote. We gave them a deposit, but now the broker wants an even bigger deposit and doesn't want to take a credit card for the payment, only Paypal or a wire transfer. They will not give us any information on the actual hauler or an insurance certificate until we pay them thousands of dollars. This made us very cautious. A number of people have told us this must be a scam. We are very nervous about proceeding with them.

I think the reason for the broker not wanting a credit card is the possibility of you calling the credit card company later and telling them it was a scam, you were not happy, etc, and they take the money back from the broker.

I can understand them wanting a more “permanent” mode of payment…..more like cash.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyandJoe View Post
For those of you suggesting we have it repaired in Utah, it had a catastrophic engine failure. We had it towed to the nearest Cummins Service Center in West Valley City, UT. Their quote to install a reman diesel engine is over $50,000. Our RV is a 2007 model. It is in excellent condition and only has 30,000 miles on it, but having said that, it's not worth enough to justify a $50,000 repair. Also, my husband is a diesel mechanic and we have our own shop. We can get a long block from Jasper Engines and he can do the installation himself, if we can just get the RV back to Maryland.
If your husband can do it, I recall where someone with a similar problem rented a building for a month and did the repair there. Even with the need to buy or rent tools that may be an option.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:01 AM   #12

No Need to Rent Anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
If your husband can do it, I recall where someone with a similar problem rented a building for a month and did the repair there. Even with the need to buy or rent tools that may be an option.
We have a huge building and all of the tools necessary. That's why we just need to get the RV home.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:06 AM   #13

Exactly what I was thinking, renting shop space there will likely be cheaper
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking, renting shop space there will likely be cheaper
The logistics and huge scope of the job make this all very complicated.

Tags
diesel, engine