Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #1

40 ft plus RV State Laws

We are contemplating purchasing our first RV. I have noticed that many states have a 40 ft maximum. Are these rules strictly enforced?
Ziggy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Wow, never heard of this but, here it is...

2011 Driving Laws for the US and Canada

CA, NJ, DC, Canada (41') and others the limit is 40'?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #3

The vast majority of states have a limit of 45' and in all of my years of RV travels, I have yet to hear of a motorhome being ticketed for over length.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Depends on what you're talking about. Only four states and DC limit motorhomes to 40 ft. Several states limit trailers to 40 ft.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #5

I always take what Woodall's prints with a grain of salt. How do you think the CA owners of 45' units register their RV if there is a 40' limit?
This is from the CALTRANS website: 45' Buses & Motorhomes

Some roads in CA have a 40' limit due to narrow and tight curves mostly in some mountain areas. Just a reminder when in CA and towing, 55MPH max! I have one of those tickets.
STLNLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Some states also show a 96" width limit for motorhomes.
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy07 View Post
We are contemplating purchasing our first RV. I have noticed that many states have a 40 ft maximum. Are these rules strictly enforced?
Thanks for all the great advice! We would like a 43 or 45 Tiffin Bus, but it seems the 40 has less restrictions.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #8

I always thought the limit wasn't on the length (up to 45), but that RV's longer then 40 needed more drivers license qualifications. I know that to be the case in CA.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know of no restrictions on coaches exceeding 40 Ft. As noted how would a dealer in CA and there are many, lawfully sell a coach over 40 ft? Registration at DMV certainly would be aware of this so called law. I've driven thru DC, NJ,not Canada or CA. However RV' s in excess of 40 ft. Cross into Canada every day. Just my perception from many years on the road. There are limitations as per state for drivers licensing. These are weight based. I can only comment positively on my circumstances. My past state of NC required a non commercial class B CDL on vehicles GVWR over 26,000 lbs. I might be not exact on the weight but close enough for discussion. I believe NY and Texas have similar restrictions. We do have some restrictions when traveling to POI like state or national parks. However, their are CG close enough to use the toad and see everything of interest.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy07 View Post
The link below was where I accessed my information.

State Towing Laws for RVs - Readybrake
State Towing Laws for RVs Cached
Maxiumum Weights before auxilary brakes are needed and total lengths for RV towing in the United ... Max Trailer Length: 53'. See state and provincial regulations ...
Old 08-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #11

Ziggy what you are seeing is max length of a trailer that you are pulling not the RV its self. RVs can't be over 45ft. If you are towing a car or trailer behind your RV or have a 5th wheel then you have a max length of 65ft.
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #12

Auxiliary braking is required in All 50 states. Just a reminder that some state parks and national parks don't have room for rigs over 40ft. So call ahead of time or stay at a RV park outside the park. About 19 states require a non-commercial Class B license for any RV over 26k lbs.
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:00 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
There does seem to be 10 or so states that list a maximum length of 40 foot. I have driven through many of these few states and have never been stopped or asked while stopped about my length. There are MH dealers in all these states that do sell coaches in excess of these limits, so I would say you will be hard pressed to find someone enforcing this limit, except of course if your do something wrong while in that state. That would be one more ticket you could get.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:13 AM   #14

I live in north eastern Nebraska. I heard that in South Dakota near Gavins Point dam they have been giving over length tickets. Gavins Point is a popular caming and fishing area. I have not heard of any motor homes being ticketed. Its the Big 5ers with big boats. Correct me if I am wrong but you can not be longer than 65 feet. It is a $100 fine for every foot you are over length. If you are in a Motor home with a toad I really dont thing they will mess with you at all.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote