Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2015, 08:40 AM   #71

Ford Super Duty Owner
As you say Moxy - gotta make an informed decision based on personal circumstances. Well said.

We wanted the extra convertible bunkbeds. Wanted to be able to have room for 3-4 grandkids without setting up a sleeper sofa or dropping a table down. Bunkbeds make easily into a closet or couch and we have a drop down full bed in front. Kingsize bed in the rear for the grownups with 1.5 baths with a large shower. Washer and dryer are nice finishing touch.

Tough to find as DP in our price range.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post

I know I could get a used, but newer than a Class A, Mercedes coach for the lower price mentioned in our prior conversations on this topic, $50-60k. Something like THIS. That would leave me with my bankroll and give me great gas mileage to save me money monthly out of my SS check.

What am I missing in this scenario? Or does this sound like the best solution, best of both worlds, or perfect solution to my needs?
One person driving a large MH isn't good (as you suggested). That MB looks good, and the V6 is the better engine. I'd say that you're on the right path.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:21 AM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
[QUOTE] Quote: Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob

I know I could get a used, but newer than a Class A, Mercedes coach for the lower price mentioned in our prior conversations on this topic, $50-60k. Something like THIS. That would leave me with my bankroll and give me great gas mileage to save me money monthly out of my SS check.

What am I missing in this scenario? Or does this sound like the best solution, best of both worlds, or perfect solution to my needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
One person driving a large MH isn't good (as you suggested). That MB looks good, and the V6 is the better engine. I'd say that you're on the right path.
Looks like a really good option! Now go drive one . . .
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:42 AM   #74

I wish everyone would buy new mid to upper end DPs. It would give me a much better pickings for my next used DP.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
...good luck on the 200k thing .....
Well, I've seen diesels go South well before 100K. Either one can have a failure. My previous gas coach had 116K when I traded it and the only reason we did was to obtain a larger unit being we were heading into retirement and would like the extra room. That particular coach now has 152K miles on it as I've kept in contact with the couple that bought it and it is still running like the day they bought it. If they're maintained properly you'll get that kind of mileage out of them but as I said either could have a major catastrophe.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I wish everyone would buy new mid to upper end DPs. It would give me a much better pickings for my next used DP.
LOL!!!
Old 05-31-2015, 12:12 PM   #77

Quote:
The extra $30k would limit ones resources a bit, cutting their remaining savings in half. Either way, the owner would be living mainly on his monthly social security check which would come close to covering his monthly expenses if he budgets wisely,
Given the dire predictions forecast by the second sentence, perhaps he needs to consider some cheaper options than either of those proposed.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:28 PM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Given the dire predictions forecast by the second sentence, perhaps he needs to consider some cheaper options than either of those proposed.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
I certainly see the dilemma faced by prospective RV owners, having to buy new as you did or for the same money buying a 10 year old DP, one would really need to understand and have a vested interest in properly investigating the options and in the end deciding based on the results, most would rather take the route often travelled, buying a new gasser, accepting the 50% depreciation and move one, personally I want the added comforts and abilities and size that only comes with a diesel, so I had to go old enough to where I could afford what I wanted, it was going to be used no matter what, I could not being myself to toss $30-50000 out the window buying new gasser whether it could do the job or not. The issue is being educated and understanding what you are getting into and most importantly separating the wheat from the chaff when it come to the real cost of maintenance, upkeep and updating.

Moxy
The point is that for tight budgets the same economics of buying used works for gassers as diesels. A 3 year old unit with less than 30,000 miles on it is available if you look around, has the depreciation hit, and will last a long time for a lot less money. One can easily go "house poor" buying the DP and then not being able to afford to drive it. A 15 year old anything will have more timed out problems than a 10 year old unit that will have more problems than a 5 year old unit. Same materials, same life times, often cheaper with gas.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The point is that for tight budgets the same economics of buying used works for gassers as diesels. A 3 year old unit with less than 30,000 miles on it is available if you look around, has the depreciation hit, and will last a long time for a lot less money. One can easily go "house poor" buying the DP and then not being able to afford to drive it. A 15 year old anything will have more timed out problems than a 10 year old unit that will have more problems than a 5 year old unit. Same materials, same life times, often cheaper with gas.
I agree with you.

What I don't understand is no seems to worry about the cost of a rebuilt gas engine, or transmission or any of the other catastrophic problems that seem to concern prospective DP owners. For example, your late model V10 remanned and installed will push likely push $10k, I'm guessing. Similarly a remanned and installed transmission will push $5k. 22.5" tires aren't cheap either. Interior issues like A/C, convect ovens are identical units. Many DP's have the same water heater and furnace I had in my Travel Trailer. I'll grant you Aqua Hot is different. Air suspension its different but not big bucks. We should compare apples to apples, a $100k Gas to a $100k Diesel, not a $30k Gas to a $200k Diesel.

I fully understand not everyone wants added complexity or cost in their RV experience. It is prudent to do the diligence to find out the costs associated with activities as few have unlimited wallets. One of the great things about RVing is that there is something for everyone.

In general, that all said, it is a disservice to one another to overstate personal bias, however well intentioned.

IMHO
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #81

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
If you have to replace your over-worked gasser engine after a 90 or 100k of service--everything will be "dim"---just saying [smile]
Or, if you have to rebuild a DP engine after your first trip everything is also dim!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #82

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mr D - you are cute - but that is a SWEET home you've got. NICE - that coach is special. Congrats.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a